Captain Marvel Controversies

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My mom was just talking about three of her McDonald's Mafia (my name for them, the local grandmothers getting together for lunch and gossip) took one of the grandsons to a showing, and all three of them fell asleep because the movie was so "boring" while the kid thought it was so-so.

I found it refreshing, for them the only controversy was just the movie being boring for ladies in their 80's.
That may have more to do with them being 80. This summer we showed my wife’s parents The Avengers and Guardians 2, and her mother managed to doze off during both of them in the middle of the afternoon.

Dave999

Validated User
That may have more to do with them being 80. This summer we showed my wife’s parents The Avengers and Guardians 2, and her mother managed to doze off during both of them in the middle of the afternoon.
I fell asleep during Guardians 2 myself.

Occam's Spork

be seeing you.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I envy people who can fall asleep in movies. I've had to be painfully awake through too many films I would rather have slept through .

RedShark92

Validated User
Mostly caught up through the thread. I wasn't really aware of the Air Force part of things until seeing it mentioned in a thread here and I don't really have any strong opinions on that.

I have had way too many encounters with the trolls who are hating on this because of the whole feminist thing.

I actually left one Facebook group over it, because every single thread was just becoming infested with them and it was getting really obnoxious. I did engage with a few of them there before I left and in some other groups as well.

What I find most interesting about this is how important this seems to be for a lot of people. They can't just not like the movie and move on, they seem to feel the need to prove it's not a good movie or not a success or some combination of the two.

I saw the "shill" thing come up early on, with regards to Rotten Tomatoes or critics more generally, but that didn't really stick out at me too much because that's been going around for a while. We've seen it most recently with a subset of the fans of the early DC movies, but it goes back a ways.

I've seen it go a lot farther on this one, though. The conspiracy about Disney buying tickets to inflate the box office results is just mind-blowing. I've also watched a part of one YouTube review where the reviewer opens about how he thought that every single person who says that they liked the movie was lying.

The comparisons with Alita and Wonder Woman have also come up a lot in discussions I've seen. For Wonder Woman this seems to conveniently ignore the fact that there was a similar (though much smaller) backlash against that movie from this crowd as well.

I haven't seen Alita yet, but I can only assume they feel that's a "safe" movie to point to to somehow prove they really don't hate women. Sort of a variation on the "I can't be racist because I have a black friend" thing. At any rate it's a shame that that movie is being dragged into this because I don't think it's really very fair to that movie or it's (genuine) fans.

All that said, as obnoxious as this crew is, they are just a loud minority. I think they were emboldened by their perceived impact on Last Jedi and Solo, and the fact that this one is succeeding in spite of them is blowing their minds.

RedShark92

Validated User
Its EXACTLY this. That if the oppression lets up one tiny bit then there will be nothing but brutal revenge.

You see it explicitly with a lot of the MRA trolling on feminist pages of "Feminism isn't about equality, its about women oppressing men" in such words.
And a similar, though not quite identical, fear is behind all the concern-trolling about "the gay agenda", I think.

PeterM

Validated User
What I find most interesting about this is how important this seems to be for a lot of people. They can't just not like the movie and move on, they seem to feel the need to prove it's not a good movie or not a success or some combination of the two.
This attitude is really common with a surprisingly large number of people - all sorts of people, not just these particular idiots - and it's never made any sense to me. There are plenty of works that I enjoy and want everyone in the world to enjoy along with me. It genuinely bothers me that my wife just plain doesn't like either of my favorite books. There are also plenty of works that I dislike and wish other people would also dislike with me. But when you get down to it I'm mature enough to understand that people have different tastes and that's actually a good thing(*). Someone else having different tastes is not an attack upon me personally. This is not rocket science.

* - I do make an exception for the 1980 Flash Gordon movie. It is the greatest movie of all time and I will scoff at anyone who says otherwise.

Top Bottom