• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel Controversies

Narcisista

Social Justice NPC
Validated User
Saw CM this afternoon, and I'm still digesting it, but if anything it left me even more incensed at the asshole crowd.

Long story short, it was good and I would put it easily on pair with the first Captain America.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The complainers had me go in with the wrong impression of Carol entirely. I knew she was better than they said, but the way they described her made me think she was stoic and serious. Which is not at all the case! It’s like they have no idea how to read women- or just chose not to.

Narcisista

Social Justice NPC
Validated User
Pretty much! She was a smartass throughout.

Hell, another thing, with all the ranting I was going in expecting the feminism to be far more textual than it actually was. There was indeed lots of feminist subtext, and I'm sure I missed alot, but if there was one political talking point that was placed front and center and handled with the subtlety of a sledgehammer it was refugees and immigration.

I'm honestly puzzled if they genuinely feel more threatened by feminism or if they actually learned that openly showing their racism is not really tolerable...

Kurt McMahon

Academic Ninja
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The complainers had me go in with the wrong impression of Carol entirely. I knew she was better than they said, but the way they described her made me think she was stoic and serious. Which is not at all the case! It’s like they have no idea how to read women- or just chose not to.
Yeah, those complaints about Brie Larson not smiling enough in the first trailer look even dumber in retrospect. Which I didn’t think would ever be possible, but here we are.

But then again, we’re talking about people whose sense of manhood is so fragile that it’s apparently threatened by seeing a guy helping out with the dishes.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The idea it's more political than Alita remains a humorous one ^^

Though it does have the whole "Control your emotions," "Oh, you're just trying to control me," subtext, which is a pretty clear one.

I know, right? She's a thoroughly fun-loving person the whole way through.
It makes me realize just how much of the Fury and Danvers interactions flew right past their heads.

She has a dry sense of humor, but she uses it so much.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
I'm honestly puzzled if they genuinely feel more threatened by feminism or if they actually learned that openly showing their racism is not really tolerable..
They were mostly going off the trailers, I think. Those did market the feminism very heavily - enough that I wonder if it was done deliberately to up the surprise factor when the other big political message hit.

MeMeMe

Validated User
Those discussing the US military involvement with marvel movies might find this article interesting:
How Hollywood promotes war on behalf of the Pentagon, CIA and NSA
Introduction:
Tom Secker and Matthew Alford report on their astonishing findings from trawling through thousands of new US military and intelligence documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.
The documents reveal for the first time the vast scale of US government control in Hollywood, including the ability to manipulate scripts or even prevent films too critical of the Pentagon from being made — not to mention influencing some of the most popular film franchises in recent years.
This raises new questions not only about the way censorship works in the modern entertainment industry, but also about Hollywood’s little known role as a propaganda machine for the US national security apparatus.

I think it's relevant to the thread, if not directly CM-related.

Kurt McMahon

Academic Ninja
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Let’s be clear - the Pentagon and other government organizations can’t actually prevent a movie from being made. They can only prevent a movie from being made with their cooperation.

The Pentagon withdrew most of its cooperation from The Avengers. That movie was still made.

Ridley Scott failed to get Navy cooperation to make Crimson Tide. The movie was still made.

The studio could have made Captain Marvel with zero Air Force cooperation by removing a single scene - the one with Carol and Maria walking out of a hangar and up to some F-15s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom