• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel Controversies

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
They were, and I loved that part.
Overall tho, Wonder Woman did the political bits better...
But Captain Marvel did the action and comedy better, and was an overall better film.
Indeed.

Not even the first time they've done this. In Black Panther, at the start of the movie, when T'challa becomes king and is weighing options about doing more to help the world (including letting refugees into Wakanda) the guy arguing against it, W'kabi, eventually pulls a heel turn and ends up supporting Killmonger when he takes over, and going along with his plan to turn Wakanda into an imperialist power. Also W'kabi is part of the Border Tribe, which I assume means part of his responsibilities is protecting Wakanda's borders.

So a group dedicated to protecting the border from outsiders gets swayed to the cause of a saber rattling warmonger who "Solves" problems he himself makes to make himself look good (In this case helping Klaw escape just so he can murder him and take him back to Wakanda himself, which is the main thing which puts a rift between T'challa and W'kabi, and the thing that initially sways W'kabi to Killmonger's side.) Talk about things that make you go Hmmmmmm. I mean there's a bit more subtext and reaching in this than in Ms. Marvel where its pretty overt, but enough you can make a connection.

(Of course I wonder how these assholes reacted tot he Sovereign in Guardians 2, who were a pretty blatant poke at Alt Right Twitter trolls like the ones who got James Gunn (temporarily) removed from Disney.)

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not even the first time they've done this. In Black Panther, at the start of the movie, when T'challa becomes king and is weighing options about doing more to help the world (including letting refugees into Wakanda) the guy arguing against it, W'kabi, eventually pulls a heel turn and ends up supporting Killmonger when he takes over, and going along with his plan to turn Wakanda into an imperialist power. Also W'kabi is part of the Border Tribe, which I assume means part of his responsibilities is protecting Wakanda's borders.
It's been a while, but my memory was that W'Kabi always wanted Wankanda to go out and fix things via interventionist wars, he just didn't want to bring the refugees of the world to Wakanda.

Crinos

Validated User
It's been a while, but my memory was that W'Kabi always wanted Wankanda to go out and fix things via interventionist wars, he just didn't want to bring the refugees of the world to Wakanda.
Thanks for the correction, but for my purposed the fact that the guy who was anti accepting refugees turned out to be a bad guy scans.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Of course I wonder how these assholes reacted tot he Sovereign in Guardians 2, who were a pretty blatant poke at Alt Right Twitter trolls like the ones who got James Gunn (temporarily) removed from Disney.
Now you mention it that might be why they did it.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Thanks for the correction, but for my purposed the fact that the guy who was anti accepting refugees turned out to be a bad guy scans.
Technically, neither did M'Baku, but he was all about avoiding being invaded by Vibranium-hungry capitalists instead of actual xenophobia. He's an actual pacifist who wants to avoid being dragged into someone else's war, hence remaining carefully neutral in politics. So, completely different political agenda.

Crinos

Validated User
Technically, neither did M'Baku, but he was all about avoiding being invaded by Vibranium-hungry capitalists instead of actual xenophobia. He's an actual pacifist who wants to avoid being dragged into someone else's war, hence remaining carefully neutral in politics. So, completely different political agenda.
True.

Its actually interesting in the level of expectation subversion they engaged in with Black Panther, if you know the lore, you of course know M'baku is a villain in the comics (So is Nakia for that matter, in the comics she's a villain called Malice and actually works for Killmonger, well one version of Malice does, but not the Nakia version, there were like Six Malices, but the first two at least were Black Panther foes). But M'baku is only the act one villain, and not even really a villain, just like the first enemy T'Challa has to fight to secure the throne. And after that he ends up saving T'challa's life when he is thrown off a cliff by Killmonger and even comes in at the end to help save the day despite not wanting to be involved in T'challa's power struggles.

My main takeaway is that Marvel learned its lesson from when they tried to update the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 (Which, for the record I liked, but I know it rubbed some people the wrong way, but come on, you're not gonna pull off "I can't believe its not Fu Manchu" with a modern audience, and you're certainly not gonna pull off a Black supervillain who calls himself "The Man Ape" without some serious rewrites.)

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
But M'baku is only the act one villain, and not even really a villain, just like the first enemy T'Challa has to fight to secure the throne. And after that he ends up saving T'challa's life when he is thrown off a cliff by Killmonger and even comes in at the end to help save the day despite not wanting to be involved in T'challa's power struggles.
I think he was testing T'Challa at the end there. Refusing to help, then noting that T'Challa is going to risk everything to save Wakanda anyway. I also like that when he first makes his diatribe against the Royal Family, they don't take the easy route of making him sexist when it comes to Shuri - instead his issue is her age.

Monkey King

Your computer is literally haunted
Validated User
I feel like an old man saying this, but it is great how kids costumes are so much higher quality than they were a few decades ago. Those girls don't have to squint at some cheap off-model plastic cape to imagine they're Captain Marvel.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
So I don't want roll around in the comment muck, but I was scrolling randomly through my YouTube recommendations and Just A Girl came up. I thought oh why not. While it was playing I scrolled through the comments, which unsurprisingly had a bunch of people talking about the fight scene. I also saw one comment being snarky because the author discovered the song in 2007, not like all these Johny come latelys. It's probably a good thing I don't have any ice cream in the freezer because I think I used up all my will power not leaving a response.

Top Bottom