• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel Controversies

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I don't want roll around in the comment muck, but I was scrolling randomly through my YouTube recommendations and Just A Girl came up. I thought oh why not. While it was playing I scrolled through the comments, which unsurprisingly had a bunch of people talking about the fight scene. I also saw one comment being snarky because the author discovered the song in 2007, not like all these Johny come latelys. It's probably a good thing I don't have any ice cream in the freezer because I think I used up all my will power not leaving a response.
I saw similar nonsense and resentments expressed in the comments under “Immigrant Song” when the Thor: Ragnarok trialers first came out.

You would think people would be thrilled that new people were discovering the music they loved.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I feel like an old man saying this, but it is great how kids costumes are so much higher quality than they were a few decades ago. Those girls don't have to squint at some cheap off-model plastic cape to imagine they're Captain Marvel.
I never trusted the perky line “Wearing Underoos is fun!” And most costumes back then were even flimsier than Underoos. These look great!

Hunter

Validated User
You would think people would be thrilled that new people were discovering the music they loved.
I saw a video of two college guys watching and reacing to Freddie Mercury's performance at Live Aid, and at they end they both were just raving about how great it was and how much they loved it, etc. etc. There was a post in the comments from a 70-year-old Queen fan saying how thrilled they were that a whole new generation had discovered how special and awesome Freddie Mercury and Queen were. But then, that person wasn't a toxic fanboy...

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
So I don't want roll around in the comment muck, but I was scrolling randomly through my YouTube recommendations and Just A Girl came up. I thought oh why not. While it was playing I scrolled through the comments, which unsurprisingly had a bunch of people talking about the fight scene. I also saw one comment being snarky because the author discovered the song in 2007, not like all these Johny come latelys. It's probably a good thing I don't have any ice cream in the freezer because I think I used up all my will power not leaving a response.
This is sadly common. Life is Strange: Before the Storm made me seek out Daughter’s music on youtube, and half the comments were people like me and the other half were fans of the band who were pissed off that suddenly “their” music was gaining more attention.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
This is sadly common. Life is Strange: Before the Storm made me seek out Daughter’s music on youtube, and half the comments were people like me and the other half were fans of the band who were pissed off that suddenly “their” music was gaining more attention.
Oh I know it's common, I was more boggled about someone going all hipster about discovering a song released in 1995 in 2007. That's over a decade too late for bragging about how you were into a band before they were cool.

Old Toby

Least Known Dog on the Net
Validated User
Oh I know it's common, I was more boggled about someone going all hipster about discovering a song released in 1995 in 2007. That's over a decade too late for bragging about how you were into a band before they were cool.
It's not about time, it's about identity. You define yourself, in part, by saying "I'm not like the others, I'm the kind of person who likes X". And then a whole bunch of normies start liking X, so what does that make you? "It doesn't count, they're not liking it for the right reasons" is a pretty common way of propping up your ego boundaries.

Old Toby

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
It's not about time, it's about identity. You define yourself, in part, by saying "I'm not like the others, I'm the kind of person who likes X". And then a whole bunch of normies start liking X, so what does that make you? "It doesn't count, they're not liking it for the right reasons" is a pretty common way of propping up your ego boundaries.

Old Toby
I get that, but the normies claimed No Doubt long before 2007.

MeMeMe

Validated User
Never mind that No Doubt were a pretty big, mainstream success at the time, and definitely cool. Not an obscure band made famous by a movie. Gatekeepers smh.

randlathor66

Validated User
Awwww-ditto'd.
It's like the new Carol Corps!
Damn skippy! They are adorable!!! The world needs more Captain Marvels.

As for the "Music-Gate" thing: While I probably looked at them a little side-eyed a times, generally I like it when more people found and liked the same music as me. It meant that there would likely be more made and things to have in common with more people, both good things. Only when those that "liked" it did so just to be popular did I think "OK?...." I do love seeing the very young (6-12) wearing classic rock and punk rock tees.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
So this is more properly a matter for the other thread, but I was talking to a coworker about the comment this morning and she mentioned she couldn't picture it working as a song for a fight. It's not as rah rah actiony as other songs but that's not what they're trying to capture. They're trying to capture that moment in The Incredibles where Dash suddenly realizes he's running on water, which is a connection I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone make.

Top Bottom