• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

Agamemnon2

Validated User
Since I was one of the people who saw this early, I'll kick off a thread talking about all the spoiler bits. Actual spoilers start in post #2.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
This is structured in a slightly stream-of-consciousness manner, for which I apologise.

* That damn Stan Lee tribute at the start. Goddamn you, a movie made me tear up watching the production credits.
* Likewise, seeing Stan's cameo on the train was very emotional. And he was reading the script to Mallrats. I bet that made Kevin Smith cry manly tears.
* Speaking off that train scene, a small touch I liked was the Skrull shocking himself when he touched the power pickup ... because he'd never seen an Earth train before and had no idea how they worked.
* Nick Fury speaking to cats needs to be a thing that happens more.
* Using the Tesseract to power the plot was a nice touch that didn't unnecessarily introduce another macguffin. And it gives context to why the project to tap it for energy was restarted on Fury's watch.
* Spot on use of music. Choosing "Just a Girl" for the big fight was an inspired choice.

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do we have a post credits scene?

How powerful is Carol? From the trailer I'd guess about Thor + Stormbreaker levels, is that correct?

Gareth3

Validated User
One silly post-credits scene, one dramatic mid-credits scene. The mid-credits is particularly good, they're not wasting any time. As for her power level, Thor for most of the movie, Phoenix at the end.

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One silly post-credits scene, one dramatic mid-credits scene. The mid-credits is particularly good, they're not wasting any time. As for her power level, Thor for most of the movie, Phoenix at the end.
I'm not sure if I like them escalating the power level by that much. I'd have been more comfortable with her being a bit above Thor + Stormbreaker, not beat up all the avengers level.

Ah well.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Since there an actual spoilers thread now I'll reapeat my question from non-spoiler thread:
Is Supermor in the movie in any capacity?
Stucks review mention "an inteligance" gave a bit of hope.

Gareth3

Validated User
No mention of "Supermor", but there's the Great Intelligence ruling over the Kree.

Antendren

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just got back from this myself. A few random thoughts:

During an early car chase scene I thought, "Huh, his acting seems very wooden. I guess it's an artifact of the CGI." Whoops.

I assume "Why would I turn into a filing cabinet?" was a comics reference? I don't know what it would be referring to, but it smelled like one.

Do you think the scene of the guy asking her to smile was a late addition?

There are times when you can't see the action because her photon blasts just drown everything out. I wish they'd found a solution to that.

As I was watching the climax, I thought it was a shame they couldn't get Lee Pace back. Then the credits said they did, but it sure didn't look like him to me.

Last edited:

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I'm not sure if I like them escalating the power level by that much. I'd have been more comfortable with her being a bit above Thor + Stormbreaker, not beat up all the avengers level.

Ah well.
Keep in mind, at least in the comics, energy absorption is her thing. Carol in normal mode isn't the same as Binary mode.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
As for her power level, Thor for most of the movie, Phoenix at the end.
Not sure I agree with this. Thor + Stormbreaker could have done pretty much the same thing Carol did against the Kree warships.

My own thoughts...

- I really loved all the 90's references, and made me realize I'm far more a creature of the 90's than the 80's. That file download was almost physically painful even as it was hilarious
- Goose stole every scene he was in for me
- I liked the character of Talos, even before he turned out to be a good guy. Hope he shows up in future movies!
- Speaking of which, if they were to do a CM sequel, I sincerely hope they Ragnarok-ify it. Not necessarily by making it funnier, but more in setting it entirely in space and embracing the galactic scale
- I have to admit I was bored by the CGI-spacefight at the end; at this point I guess I don’t find CGI spectacles all that interesting. I feel like bringing in Ronan and the warships was unnecessary; there were plenty of stakes already in protecting the Skrulls from the Starforce. I was far more engaged with Carol's earlier fight with the Starforce and Maria's dogfight with Minn-Erva. I did like "I have nothing to prove" with Yon-Rogg at the end though.

Top Bottom