• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

Maka445

Validated User
While we know Ronan is strong, we also don’t know if he can fly and fight in space. And that huge ship? That’s collateral damage. He had good reason to back off.
It’s also his ride home, since as far as we know he is not capable of self powered interstellar travel.

SuperG

Validated User
It’s also his ride home, since as far as we know he is not capable of self powered interstellar travel.
Yeah, also a good point. Even if you CAN breathe in space and survive re-entry, how much do you want to be on your ability to hotwire the local technology to make an interstellar phone call? :)

(sure, CM did it, but Ronan hasn't been on the surface)

Daigoro

拝大五郎
Validated User
B-2 was publicly disclosed and rolled out in 1988.
Ok, I was going off the first figure which came to hand, which was its "introduction" or "initial operational capability" in 1997. I can't find exactly what its status would've been in 95, but presumably it wouldn't have been to be sitting in an empty hangar.
As you mentioned, the base is pretty deserted for a center of ongoing advanced aerospace research, ergo it isn`t anymore.
I might've missed the bit of dialog which would've indicated that to be expected.

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just remembered: Yon-Rogg seemed to be using wrist mounted weapons.

Nega-Bands?
The Nega Bands gave flying brick powers and were tied to the Negative Zone in some way. They were also (for some reason) forbidden technology amongst the Kree. Yon-rogg in the movie has some fancy tech gravity? generating glove things, it seemed to me.

taschoene

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ok, I was going off the first figure which came to hand, which was its "introduction" or "initial operational capability" in 1997. I can't find exactly what its status would've been in 95, but presumably it wouldn't have been to be sitting in an empty hangar.
There are plenty of ways to finesse it. There were several non-flying test articles before the actual aircraft were built. There was probably a smaller flying test aircraft beforehand as well. And the MCU does fiddle a little with tech development history. SHIELD had flying operational F-35s in Avengers in 2012, several years before the type reached IOC with the actual US military.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Yon-rogg in the movie has some fancy tech gravity? generating glove things, it seemed to me.
Agreed. In the fight on the Kree ship, when he sent Carol into the wall, it looked more like he'd made her fall onto it than thrown her at it.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Carol vs The Accuser's battle ships... That wasn't supposed to be a tense action scene where she was threatened or challenged, but a triumphant expression of the personal internal victory she'd already won against the Supreme Intelligence and by proxy everyone who ever told her to stay down, stay in her place, keep quiet, smile.

It was her Neo Stops the Bullets moment.

Once she realized her limits were imposed rather than inherent, she'd won. That's the point, really.

So the vs Ronan thing was intended to show just how far she outclassed the Kree world-killers. Not to physically challenge her.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
While we know Ronan is strong, we also don’t know if he can fly and fight in space. And that huge ship? That’s collateral damage. He had good reason to back off.
That's my thought. Even if Ronan could physically go toe-to-toe with Carol, he couldn't do it here, because Carol can just blow up his ship around him. I agree that Carol fighting Ronan wasn't thematically necessary or appropriate for the movie, but within the logic of the story, Ronan would have recognized that he should pick his battles.

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are plenty of ways to finesse it. There were several non-flying test articles before the actual aircraft were built. There was probably a smaller flying test aircraft beforehand as well. And the MCU does fiddle a little with tech development history. SHIELD had flying operational F-35s in Avengers in 2012, several years before the type reached IOC with the actual US military.
Agreed. If anything, a dormant experimental hangar would be the one place you would find a cutting edge prototype gathering dust. Gotta put them somewhere.

So the vs Ronan thing was intended to show just how far she outclassed the Kree world-killers. Not to physically challenge her.
Yeah, it wouldn't work as a life or death battle. More as another beat where she discovers how much farther her powers can go.

Top Bottom