• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ah, valid, then. I mean, we don't see Ronan fight without the Infinity Stone, but considering he gets defeated when he has one, in a dance-off, well ...
Don't we see him fight Drax, and just utterly wipe the floor with him in a "I am not even thinking about this fight, I am going over my grocery list and also a guy is trying to knife me I guess... oh, right, eggs, gotta get some eggs too." sort of way?

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Don't we see him fight Drax, and just utterly wipe the floor with him in a "I am not even thinking about this fight, I am going over my grocery list and also a guy is trying to knife me I guess... oh, right, eggs, gotta get some eggs too." sort of way?
A drunken Drax blinded by rage, yes. I don't really count that one, for that reason.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A drunken Drax blinded by rage, yes. I don't really count that one, for that reason.
Even so, Drax while not superheroic is not a pushover, and Ronan handled that fight like an evil Captain America fighting an angry child. So I think we can at least conclude that Ronan is a top-tier brick without any assistance from the stone.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
My headcanon: when Ronan witnessed a powered-up Captain Marvel he viewed her as a major threat to the Kree, so started investigating the source of her power, starting by debriefing Yon-Rogg and finding out the power source was a weird cube thing. (The Kree didn't have those details before visiting the lab.) He then figured out this was an Infinity Gem, decided for the safety of the Kree he'd need to power himself up, and then enhanced himself to a level where he could handle one of the gems.

This is how he came to seek out Thanos, or vice versa. Ronan might ultimately be the one that informed Thanos the Tesseract was on Earth.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Even so, Drax while not superheroic is not a pushover, and Ronan handled that fight like an evil Captain America fighting an angry child. So I think we can at least conclude that Ronan is a top-tier brick without any assistance from the stone.
To the extent that comic book classifications matter to the MCU, I agree. I could cope with either Thor or the Hulk taking him out in a brawl, but the rest of them would require significant amounts of handwavium.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
My headcanon: when Ronan witnessed a powered-up Captain Marvel he viewed her as a major threat to the Kree, so started investigating the source of her power, starting by debriefing Yon-Rogg and finding out the power source was a weird cube thing. (The Kree didn't have those details before visiting the lab.) He then figured out this was an Infinity Gem, decided for the safety of the Kree he'd need to power himself up, and then enhanced himself to a level where he could handle one of the gems.

This is how he came to seek out Thanos, or vice versa. Ronan might ultimately be the one that informed Thanos the Tesseract was on Earth.
Not that this contradicts your righteous idea, but fwiw Ronan didn't know he was hunting an Infinity Stone for Thanos until he actually acquired it (which was the cue for his sudden but inevitable betrayal).

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
Aw. Been awhile since I watched it, I forgot that wrinkle.
I'm nit-picking because I think it means SOMETHING, but it's really not inconsistent with your theory. Ronan could very well have been allying with Thanos both as a means to his revenge and as a better gateway to MOAR POWER.

I mean as soon as he knows what he has, he only delays betraying Thanos enough to call him up and do it to his big purple face :D

Isator Levie

Validated User
I think they do still in a sense (and, just to be clear, not a romantic once) care about each other a fair bit.

He's been awful, lying to her and condescendingly kreesplaining at her for quite a while. He certainly is a bad mentor and a shitty friend. But as of the end she seems to see him as a former friend who needs to get his ass kicked and be shoved into a shuttle back to the planet of the Space Assholes, not a mortal enemy.
He's not a mortal enemy, he's a speed bump.

Top Bottom