Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I'm sure he was "proud" of her. In a condescending, "I'm actually proud of myself and think I'm responsible for you getting here," sort of way. I have not doubt that, in Yon-Rogg's mind, he was very fond of "Vers." But he is only fond of her on his terms. Hence the last scene, the whole, "prove yourself!" She knows better.
Good God, that's just a perfect description.

Seiberwing

Swift as a coursing river
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We're about zero steps away from my angry queer ass insisting that the sheer determination that has been shown in this thread to dismiss a WLW reading of Maria and Carol's relationship is indicative of the degree to which prejudice has metastasized into the background noise of our culture to the point that even people I know to be on the right side of history slide into saying casually homophobic shit without effort.

Moderator Text:

Which means that it's time for you to leave the thread.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Not that this contradicts your righteous idea, but fwiw Ronan didn't know he was hunting an Infinity Stone for Thanos until he actually acquired it (which was the cue for his sudden but inevitable betrayal).
Thanos is probably known for being interested in rumours of outlandish energy sources. Ronan could seek him out for that - and trade one of the Tesseract - without knowing about the Infinity Stones.

g33k

Banned
Validated User
I would argue that there is no reason whatsoever beyond amatonormativity to assume that the only way for two people to be that close is for them to be in a romantic relationship.

I'm not saying that you can't see them that way, because that's fine. But I really hate the ongoing idea that any time two people are super-close, or even family-close, it must be because they're secretly banging offscreen.

I hate it a lot more when it's a male and female pair who aren't allowed to be super-close friends who think of each other as family, because that manages to feed into heteronormativity at the same time, but I will fight for strong, intimate same-sex friendships.
My wife went through a phase of having Disney's Fozen as her favorite film, because -- despite the all guys and all the potential-love-interest goin' on -- it was a platonic / non-amorous True Love that broke the curse & saved the dying girl

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
My wife went through a phase of having Disney's Fozen as her favorite film, because -- despite the all guys and all the potential-love-interest goin' on -- it was a platonic / non-amorous True Love that broke the curse & saved the dying girl
The same thing came to my mind regarding this topic.

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
It's amazing to me how many people insist on turning platonic or even familial relationships into romantic ones. Even when the characters are full blooded sisters like with Frozen or Kill la Kill it doesn't stop everyone. Frankly I don't think it's healthy, any more than all the "Stalking = True Love" romance movies were when that was the style.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
I just overheard a mother say her daughter now wants to become a pilot thanks to this movie. Anecdotal, for sure, but it does make me wonder if we're going to see a sudden spike in females entering the aviation industry in years to come...

(similarly, there was a sudden surge in my nephews who wanted to become engineers after Iron Man came out)

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
It's amazing to me how many people insist on turning platonic or even familial relationships into romantic ones. Even when the characters are full blooded sisters like with Frozen or Kill la Kill it doesn't stop everyone. Frankly I don't think it's healthy, any more than all the "Stalking = True Love" romance movies were when that was the style.
Supernatural even lampshaded it.
"They do know we're brothers, right?"
"Doesn't seem to matter"
I'm all for "something for everyone", and fiction/art is obviously the one place to explore concepts outside the bounds of social conventions.

I just want plain basic intimacy to get its due too, and feel it's one of the very important things underrepresented in pop culture.

Top Bottom