• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I just want plain basic intimacy to get its due too, and feel it's one of the very important things underrepresented in pop culture.
This is what I mean when I say that we have a cultural obsession with sex. I don't usually say that out loud, though, because I find it difficult to explain that the problem isn't with healthy depictions of sexual relationships, but with making all intimate relationships about sex.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Of course, one solution is just for Disney to bite the bullet and give a film protagonist an actual unambiguous same sex romantic relationship. And then do it again a time or two just to get the point across. No tiptoeing around to not antagonize the bigots, because hey, they hate Black Panther and Captain Marvel and those have been licenses to print money.

Like, we know that sooner or later Hemsworth is going to be out because of how physically demanding it is to be Thor-level ripped. Give us a Valkyrie movie to carry on the Asgard side of things, and give her a girlfriend.

That way people won't have to make their own gay in a cave with a box of scraps.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Did nobody else look at that video clip of Brie Larson and Samuel L Jackson singing Just a Girl together? :(

I've got to say, seeing them together with Samuel's unmodified face really brought home to me how remarkable it was for there to be such chemistry between a white woman in her mid to late 20s and a 70 year-old black man.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Of course, one solution is just for Disney to bite the bullet and give a film protagonist an actual unambiguous same sex romantic relationship. And then do it again a time or two just to get the point across. No tiptoeing around to not antagonize the bigots, because hey, they hate Black Panther and Captain Marvel and those have been licenses to print money.
I think the issue is that having a black lead or a female lead won't stop a movie from opening in China.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Did nobody else look at that video clip of Brie Larson and Samuel L Jackson singing Just a Girl together? :(

I've got to say, seeing them together with Samuel's unmodified face really brought home to me how remarkable it was for there to be such chemistry between a white woman in her mid to late 20s and a 70 year-old black man.
Not yet - I can't watch videos on my work computer. Definitely looking forward to it, though.

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
The problem is that these days big movies are aimed at the international market and a big slice of that market is China. Which given China's willingness to ban movies from release in their country, gives them a sort of quasi-veto over content in any movie aimed at that market. Now smaller local stuff like TV shows? Big media companies will be a lot more flexible about what they put in those, though I hear that even cartoons like Steven Universe and Legend of Korra have some soft censoring to keep them palatable for China and Russia.

America doesn't get to dictate its tastes to the rest of the world anymore, for better AND for worse.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
When I hit the follow button, it asks me to register for tumblr. So no video for me.
You don't have to follow the account to watch the vid. Though it's odd that just clicking on the embedded post won't take you to it. Click the account name and you'll get there.

Top Bottom