• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
You don't have to follow the account to watch the vid. Though it's odd that just clicking on the embedded post won't take you to it. Click the account name and you'll get there.
Ah, there we go. I don't have sound on the work computer (unless I plug in my headphones), so I'm pretty much just awash in Brie Larson's facial expressions.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Banned
Validated User
This is what I mean when I say that we have a cultural obsession with sex. I don't usually say that out loud, though, because I find it difficult to explain that the problem isn't with healthy depictions of sexual relationships, but with making all intimate relationships about sex.
Exactly this. I don't know if you've ever seen the series Alias, but look at the relationship between Sydney Bristow and Marcus Dixon, and how it develops over the five seasons - all without any hint of a sexual element.

Give us a Valkyrie movie to carry on the Asgard side of things, and give her a girlfriend.
It would be cool to see Thor try to matchmake Valkyrie and Carol

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Exactly this. I don't know if you've ever seen the series Alias, but look at the relationship between Sydney Bristow and Marcus Dixon, and how it develops over the five seasons - all without any hint of a sexual element.
That's an excellent example.
It would be cool to see Thor try to matchmake Valkyrie and Carol
With the direct connotation that Thor doesn't understand this whole "straight" thing because, seriously, when you live for centuries and centuries, isn't that just dull?

Isator Levie

Validated User
With the direct connotation that Thor doesn't understand this whole "straight" thing because, seriously, when you live for centuries and centuries, isn't that just dull?
Depends on whether or not that's how the neurobiological underpinnings of sexuality work.

Much like how gender identity might be something more deeply ingrained than an available fashion choice, if we're incorporating the outlooks and input of non-cis people into our assessments of how it works.

Or how polyamory is a thing particular to how distinct people express and experience romantic and sexual intimacy, rather than a cute and convenient resolution for love triangles.

Monochrome Tide

Someone
Validated User
I honestly side eye the sheer degree to which people are eager to erase non-cishet romantic intimacy but are perfectly ok with cishet romantic intimacy in this thread.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Depends on whether or not that's how the neurobiological underpinnings of sexuality work.

Much like how gender identity might be something more deeply ingrained than an available fashion choice, if we're incorporating the outlooks and input of non-cis people into our assessments of how it works.

Or how polyamory is a thing particular to how distinct people express and experience romantic and sexual intimacy, rather than a cute and convenient resolution for love triangles.
I think it's in keeping with how Thor comes across in the movies. He seems to regard boundaries and identity as something annoying that gets in the way of fun. Certainly not true of all of the Asgardians, let alone all of the characters, but if it became MCU canon that Heimdall and Thor, frex, had a bit of an on and off thing for a few decades, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
I honestly side eye the sheer degree to which people are eager to erase non-cishet romantic intimacy but are perfectly ok with cishet romantic intimacy in this thread.
I would sincerely appreciate you pointing it out, because if it's there and I'm overlooking it that's something I'd urgently like to correct in my perspective!

I understand its sensitive enough that we've already gotten purple and red text. I'm persisting only because I think it's worthwhile for us to keep enriching each others' perspectives despite the challenge.

I'm trying my best to present my perspective without diminishing anyone else's, because in this thread I continue to benefit from the insights of folks with different life experiences than me- the best of what rpg.net community can be! If I'm failing to give due faith and credit to other folks' insights while presenting my own, I do apologize. The only thing I'm trying to argue against is any exclusion of relevant interpretations. So I certainly want to correct any inadvertent hypocrisy on my part to that end!

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User

5000 year old alien gods may have different neurobiological underpinnings for sexuality.. see all Mythology....

Top Bottom