• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

Gareth3

Validated User
Not sure I agree with this. Thor + Stormbreaker could have done pretty much the same thing Carol did against the Kree warships.
Fair enough. I guess you really can't get into a fistfight with the Phoenix. On another subject, We're all expecting the old Avengers to be removed somehow and have to be replaced with new characters. So it's interesting that we have a person who is prevented from entering combat so works in another military role. They have an older scientist boss who escaped a fascist regime and grants them enormous power through super-science, dying seconds later. Eventually they're isolated from everyone for decades. But some people still remember Captain.... Even their hair colour is the same.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
- I have to admit I was bored by the CGI-spacefight at the end; at this point I guess I don’t find CGI spectacles all that interesting. I feel like bringing in Ronan and the warships was unnecessary; there were plenty of stakes already in protecting the Skrulls from the Starforce. I was far more engaged with Carol's earlier fight with the Starforce and Maria's dogfight with Minn-Erva. I did like "I have nothing to prove" with Yon-Rogg at the end though.
I was not bored by any of it, but in hindsight, Ronan really didn't need to be in the film as much as he did. Although having the Accusers show up and launch that missile barrage really put the upper limit to Carol's power level on the screen in a spectacular fashion. Plus it gave us the MCU's version of the classic superhero-stops-a-missile scene they've been riffing on for decades.

Korath was even more superfluous, to the point they didn't even name him on screen. At first I thought they were having him as the inevitable antagonist in the Kree ranks and have Yon-Rogg be the good guy, but the way the plot panned out, he ended up being kind of unnecessary. It's possibly he was written into the story merely to act as a bit of an obfuscation. It's a slight waste of a fine actor (hopefully Djimon Hounsou will get to flex his dramatic range a bit more in Shazam).

Last edited:

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
I was not bored by any of it, but in hindsight, Ronan really didn't need to be in the film as much as he did. Although having the Accusers show up and launch that missile barrage really put the upper limit to Carol's power level on the screen in a spectacular fashion. Plus it gave us the MCU's version of the classic superhero-stops-a-missile scene they've been riffing on for decades.

Korath was even more superfluous, to the point they didn't even name him on screen. At first I thought they were having him as the inevitable antagonist in the Kree ranks and have Yon-Rogg be the good guy, but the way the plot panned out, he ended up being kind of unnecessary. It's possibly he was written into the story merely to act as a bit of an obfuscation. It's a slight waste of a fine actor (hopefully Djimon Hounsou will get to flex his dramatic range a bit more in Shazam).
See, I liked Korath and Minn-Erva and I wish they had been given more screen time. If it were up to me I’d have dropped Ronan entirely and ramped up the power level of the Starforce so they could have been a bigger threat to Carol and she could have shown off her “power-up” against them. Their history with Carol made them better antagonists than Ronan, imo.

OTOH, I can perfectly understand wanting to give their premiere female superhero her Big Damn Hero moment.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
I really enjoyed the resolution of the Yon-Rogg fight. The twist of him trying to recast himself in the patriarchal authority role with the "oh, I'm so proud of you" thing was great, and her reaction to being asked to prove herself (again) by his arbitrary standards of worthiness was perfect.

TrojanRat

Agent of S.N.A.R.K.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
* Spot on use of music. Choosing "Just a Girl" for the big fight was an inspired choice.
Spot on use of music, you say. Go onnnnnnnnn.

Also, is she super brawling a baddie or shooting down an alien fleet to No Doubt?

Agamemnon2

Validated User
Spot on use of music, you say. Go onnnnnnnnn.

Also, is she super brawling a baddie or shooting down an alien fleet to No Doubt?
She is fighting an entire room full of baddies. Very appropriate, I thought. Nirvana's "Come As You Are" plays during another important confrontation.

TrojanRat

Agent of S.N.A.R.K.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
She is fighting an entire room full of baddies. Very appropriate, I thought. Nirvana's "Come As You Are" plays during another important confrontation.
Okay, I can get behind that. Kicking ass to No Doubt strikes me as a more... up close and personal style of combat song than a backing track to a dogfight. Thanks!

Top Bottom