Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I asked this in the non-spoiler/trailer thread, but it hasn't gotten any response, so I thought I'd try here.

How is it for the kids? Specifically the 8-12 year old range. I've offered to take my nephew to see the show, but he thinks it might be scary. I've seen that its PG-13, but are there any movies it's comparable to for scariness, violence, and the like? He's seen and likes most of the other Marvel movies. If I can say it's no worse than the Avengers or Thor, it may help convince him.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
It shouldn't be too bad if he's seen Avengers. I'd put the average scariness factor to be about on par with it or Guardians of the Galaxy. Most enemies are skrull or kree, so no scary monsters. There's little blood, nothing too violent, the combat is your usual comic book style of kinetic blows and energy blasts. There's one autopsied skrull in a SHIELD lab, but it's not framed as a particularly gruesome or creepy scene.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
I wanted to address this post from the other thread:

So - on a few more Social Justice oriented boards I've read off and on (and on Social Media), there's been a lot being said about the movie being really "Facs" (meaning Fascist) due to the cooperation of the US Air Force in the making of the film. So, is this movie actually particularly fascist - or is this a mountain being made out of a molehill? Because while on the one hand, I get that it's okay to like problematic things - if you're accusing something of being actually fascist, you've moved past talking about elements of the film as being problematic and into "burn it all down, cancel everyone involved in making this" territory.
This really is a bizarre accusation to level at the film, since the Air Force simply isn't in it enough to suggest that their cooperation was at all indepth or somehow compromised the film. Really, all the USAF does in the movie is covering up the attack on Mar-Vell and Carol and redacting their investigation report.

kenichi-kun

Validated User
Fucking awesome.

BriebLarson nails it, Sam Jackson is having the time of his life, and I am laughing my ass off that a marvel movie has antagonists with personality....and turns it around, with final enemies being generuc blue commandos xD

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Sister of Battle
Validated User
I'm not sure if I like them escalating the power level by that much. I'd have been more comfortable with her being a bit above Thor + Stormbreaker, not beat up all the avengers level.
Why? Most powerful super in the MCU means most powerful super in the MCU?

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Why? Most powerful super in the MCU means most powerful super in the MCU?
Because I'd like her to be powerful, even the most powerful Avenger, but not to turn Thor and Hulk (and Iron Man) into complete jokes. I'm simply not that fond of sequel escalation. Thor + Stormbreaker was already a bit much for my tastes, but the smackdown he gave to Thanos was too satisfying so I gave it a pass.

It was one of the many problems of Justice League. Supes was just soooooo far above the others it was jarring.

Last edited:

Victim

Validated User
Because I'd like her to be powerful, even the most powerful Avenger, but not to turn Thor and Hulk (and Iron Man) into complete jokes.

It was one of the many problems of Justice League. Supes was just soooooo far above the others it was jarring.
Wasn't putting Superman way above everyone else also contradicting Bats v Supes? I thought WW was supposed to be a functional peer there.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
Saw it last night.

Well that soundtrack was pretty much my early twenties personified which was amusing for my slightly older wife who kind of skated right past the entire 'grunge' thing and recognised I think one song. :)
Goose stole all the scenes. Loved seeing Ben Mendelson as something other than an unredeemable villain for the first time in a while. Lieutenant Trouble is definetely going into space.

Furys eye......

Coulson....I loved how I knew there was something off with him but my brain wasn't making the ( looking back ) obvious connection that he was a Skrull.

The entire theatre laughed at Mendelsons convo with his ' Science Guy' in Rambeaus house and then they were all sad when he got killed.

The getting back up montage had everyone super happy...and there were some tears when Fury changed the name of the Initiative.

Sharrukin

Magister Barbatus
Validated User
Okay, that didn't strike me as the best Marvel Studios production I've seen, but it was pretty good. A lot funnier than I expected. The story was original and somewhat surprising compared to the book lore, as with many of the Marvel films, but it drew heavily on elements of the Kelly Sue DeConnick run, which is probably my favorite version of the character. Carol Danvers the utterly determined fighter jock with a soft heart and a lot of deadpan snark, not the would-be celebrity or the woman who's getting fitted for jackboots next week.

US military propaganda was lighter than expected, they did neat things with all the established characters, and as usual it was visually stunning. Not to mention that Thanos had better watch his ass, given how good this version of Carol is at punching big problems. I'd rate this one a solid B+ or even an A-.

Wookiee Wrangler

Validated User
Just got in from a midnight showing and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not the best Marvel film but some very strong characters. Loved Carol, especially her sheer exuberance. Might say more after sleep

Top Bottom