Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
I dunno if this has been brought up in this thread yet, but I saw a cute theory/factoid:

Spoiler: Show

Fury tells Carol a "secret that no Skrull would know": he can't eat toast when it's cut into triangles.

In Age of Ultron, Fury to shows up in Hawley's farmhouse and makes himself some toast - and cuts it into triangles.
I mean. It could also be character growth. But that's an entertaining idea.

JamesG

Validated User
I dunno if this has been brought up in this thread yet, but I saw a cute theory/factoid:

Fury tells Carol a "secret that no Skrull would know": he can't eat toast when it's cut into triangles.

In Age of Ultron, Fury to shows up in Hawley's farmhouse and makes himself some toast - and cuts it into triangles.
Fury lying over something inconsequential? How utterly in character.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

My new headcanon is that this means that Nick Fury actually died in Winter Soldier, and his backup plan was that he had a Skrull agent working in SHIELD who was ready to step up and impersonate him to keep the legend alive.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As an aside, why are "At-Lass" and "Minn-Erva" Kree names? Like, honestly...
At-lass?
Becuas Atlas was the companybthat developeed in Mar-Vell Marvel.
There was also Captain Dea-Sea (say it out loud) and Star-Lyn (named after Jim Starlin, the architect of cosmic Marvel).
Dr. Minerva aka Minn-erva was Kree sceintist who wanted study and copy Carol Kree-Hybrid powers.
So she about knowledge and science like Athena/Minerva.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I like to think the artists were aware of the classic old MAD Magazine cartoon where a cowboy with a shotgun in a saloon fired it with a gigantic BARROOM.
Honestly, "Ba-throom" is a great, onomatopoeic way to depict something being struck with great force and then thrumming with the vibration of the strike, so I suspect a bit of both.

I once tracked down the panel with the Thor/Hulk car fight, and there were two inker, two pencilers and one letterer, so I'm guessing that one was a deadline issue.

ETA: Another option - An unsubtle demand for a raise

Moonmover

Validated User
Your resident guy who diesn’t read comics at all is here, having seen the film last night. My disorganized thoughts are as follows:

•It was okay.

•I felt smug for figuring out that the Skrull were going to actually be nice people and the Kree were going to be secretly evil almost immediately. Then, Ronan showed up and I remembered that he was a Kree. Had I remembered that, the twist would have been even more obvious. Really, for a plot involving amnesia and shapeshifters, it was surprisingly predictable.

•On the other hand, the twist with the cat was hilarious. Well done!

•I appreciated how fast Fury got on board with the fact that aliens existed. Normally in these sorts of movie you expect the Relatable Earth Guy to spend some time insisting that the aliens are punks with dumb makeup or masses of swamp gas or something.

•Speaking of Fury, he got more to do in this movie than any of the previous ones, despite being not physically strong enough to actually fight any of the bad guys. I loved him in this.

•The final action scene felt a lot like Dragonball Z, in only the best ways. Danvers basically goes Super Saiyan.

•At no point did I notice anyone call Danvers “Captain Marvel,” nor did she take that title for herself. There was a character named “Mar Vell,” and I guess if you squint you can kind of see Danvers as her successor. It might have been neat if “Marvel” had been her pilot call sign.

•Why does the Kree military uniform have a device that changes its color scheme? What possible use could that have? If it transformed her whole outfit into a different one, I could see it as useful for doing undercover work. But, all it seems to do is recolor it. That scene pulled me out of the movie for a moment.

Top Bottom