• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
One thing I liked, and perhaps it's been addressed and I missed it, is that there wasn't really a villain so much as a series of institutional iniquities and injustices that needed to be addressed head on. Also, I liked Minn-erva (that name, though) and did not cheer when she got blown up.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One thing I liked, and perhaps it's been addressed and I missed it, is that there wasn't really a villain so much as a series of institutional iniquities and injustices that needed to be addressed head on. Also, I liked Minn-erva (that name, though) and did not cheer when she got blown up.
Yon-Rogg looked like Villain to me.
He knew the truth about the Kree and decide to kidnapp and brainwash Carol.
Ditto the Supreme Inteligence.
And Ronan.

Whenever the othe memebers of the Starforce knew, can debates, my personal opinion is they knew.
They're Kree and Kree with notable exception (mainly Mar-Vell and Noh-Varr, who from another universe) are Space-Nazis.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
And Ronan.

Whenever the othe memebers of the Starforce knew, can debates, my personal opinion is they knew.
They're Kree and Kree with notable exception (mainly Mar-Vell and Noh-Varr, who from another universe) are Space-Nazis.
of Starforce, I think the only ones who definitely knew were Yon-Rogg and Minerva. of the other three, Atlas was the one who showed any regret about having to fight their own squadmate, but he still followed his Colonel's orders, so no pass

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
And Ronan.

I don’t think that’s the version the MCU is going with. Nazis wouldn’t have given a damn about avoiding civilian casualties (alien civilians at that)- Yon-Rogg, for all his faults, did. He didn’t care enough, but he did care. Even in the flashback (after we knew the Kree were the bad guys)- he seemed to have no desire to kill Carol when she was just a bystander. I think the MCU Kree are the U.S. with our negatives turned up (so that we can see those negatives beaten by our good turned up (in the form of the Avengers, the Guardians, etc.)

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
In fairness, I can see how it could be a little confusing, since the mid-credits scene is set in the Avengers: Endgame timeframe in 2018 with Captain Marvel showing up to meet the Avengers, and then the post-credits scene is back in the main Captain Marvel timeframe in 1995.
Oh, yeah, I totally forgot the mid-credit sequence.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
I think the MCU Kree are the U.S. with our negatives turned up (so that we can see those negatives beaten by our good turned up (in the form of the Avengers, the Guardians, etc.)
The beginning of the film is very much set up to make the Kree Starforce look like U.S. Special Forces and their mission look like standard stuff from jingoistic film about anti-terrorist forces doing missions in the Middle East.

But a couple of things struck me as odd in that. Like why were the locals huddled around a campfire in a bombed-out ruin? If the Skrulls are infiltrators, they didn't bomb this planet to ruins. Why did Yon-Rogg say that the rules were no engagement of the locals and then they immediately surrounded the locals, aimed guns at them, and shouted orders? That's the opposite of not engaging.

Plus the whole "too emotional" thing in the sparring between Carol and Yon-Rogg.

Maybe I was on the lookout for something to be wrong because I know the Kree are bastards.

Qwa'ha Xahn

Validated User
Why did Yon-Rogg say that the rules were no engagement of the locals and then they immediately surrounded the locals, aimed guns at them, and shouted orders? That's the opposite of not engaging.
It was the locals who charged and surrounded the Kree and began yelling at them. At which point the Kree still didn’t fire, but instead tried to warn them off. Yon-Rogg and the rest tried to stay well clear of the locals, and if they’d actually been locals, odds are there would have been no interaction at all.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It was the locals who charged and surrounded the Kree and began yelling at them. At which point the Kree still didn’t fire, but instead tried to warn them off. Yon-Rogg and the rest tried to stay well clear of the locals, and if they’d actually been locals, odds are there would have been no interaction at all.
Who then by all accounts were bombed out of existence bu Accusers (IIRC Ronan say so after accusing Yon-Rogg of failing the mission).
I think this was avoiding complication rather actual concern for any natives encountered.

Qwa'ha Xahn

Validated User
Who then by all accounts were bombed out of existence bu Accusers (IIRC Ronan say so after accusing Yon-Rogg of failing the mission).
I think this was avoiding complication rather actual concern for any natives encountered.
That’s back to my point: what’s one of the big issues in American military policy today? Too great an acceptance of “collateral damage”. This being a sci-if movie, and the Kree being an exaggerated version of our ills- of course they devastate half a planet to wipe out a few infiltrators. And I didn’t say Ronin cared about casualties, just that Yon-Rogg did. We know Ronin is a proto-nazi, because we’ve seen him go full throttle in the future (in response to the Kree nation seemingly retreating from the warlike policies evident here).

Top Bottom