• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Captain Marvel spoiler discussion (**CONTAINS ALL THE SPOILERS**)

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Who then by all accounts were bombed out of existence bu Accusers (IIRC Ronan say so after accusing Yon-Rogg of failing the mission).
I think this was avoiding complication rather actual concern for any natives encountered.
Although to be fair, I thought the implication there was that Ronan got the go-ahead to bomb the populace out of existence because Yon-Rogg's mission failed and they couldn't guarantee a surgical strike against just the Skrulls. That was the information they'd been hoping to get from the spy.

The early part of the film seemed like it was designed to create a dichotomy between the good Kree and the bad Kree; this would probably work for people who saw Guardians of the Galaxy but weren't big comics fans.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
I'm not saying that any of Carol's various opponents are nice, or good, or whatever, but compared to Red Skull, or even Hydra? It seems to me that the people in Captain Marvel aren't evil so much as the system is. Even the AI didn't strike me as malevolent, while obviously being morally in the wrong, and the Skrull, while obviously the victims, weren't exactly clean either. I think the structure of the narrative suggests that structural issues, rather than a single bad actor or group of bad actors, are the primary problem.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I definitely think that the Kree in this movie were supposed to be the worst qualities of the US. Starforce sees themselves as heroes and their main problem is being willing to get up to really shady shit in the name of their nation. They’ll try to avoid it, and they don’t neccessarily like it, but they don’t try hard enough to find another option either. Meanwhile, Ronan is of the ‘Carpetbomb everything, they’re just foreigner savages anyway’ school of Warhawk that we unfortunately get sometimes. All we’re missing are Kree drone strikes.

LoneWolf23

Validated User
It really is the Banality of Evil and "I was Just Following Orders" on an interstellar level. On one hand, the members of Starforce are part of an active system of Imperialism and Fascism that is actively engaged in Genocide, and are mostly the product of this system. On the other hand, they're not questioning the system, and have embraced the hatred it encourages, making them at least complicit in the system's acts of Evil.

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
I definitely think that the Kree in this movie were supposed to be the worst qualities of the US. Starforce sees themselves as heroes and their main problem is being willing to get up to really shady shit in the name of their nation. They’ll try to avoid it, and they don’t neccessarily like it, but they don’t try hard enough to find another option either. Meanwhile, Ronan is of the ‘Carpetbomb everything, they’re just foreigner savages anyway’ school of Warhawk that we unfortunately get sometimes. All we’re missing are Kree drone strikes.

ITs all Drone strikes. I mean Supreme intelligence.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
that last part strikes me as the SI's long-term plan for Carol. indoctrinate her fully, and once relatively sure she won't turn on them, unleashed their cosmic powered 'drone' upon an unsuspecting galaxy

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
One thing I liked, and perhaps it's been addressed and I missed it, is that there wasn't really a villain so much as a series of institutional iniquities and injustices that needed to be addressed head on. Also, I liked Minn-erva (that name, though) and did not cheer when she got blown up.
The actress was quite good in HumAns, and manages to make her character more distinctive than most of the other soldiers, over and above the fact she gets more individual screen time than most of them.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Whenever the othe memebers of the Starforce knew, can debates, my personal opinion is they knew.
They're Kree and Kree with notable exception (mainly Mar-Vell and Noh-Varr, who from another universe) are Space-Nazis.
This version strikes me as more Space Imperial Romans, which, while still far less than benign, aren't quite the same thing.

Gogmagog

Validated User
Hmm, I believe that Ultron had some tech that was beyond what Tony could create, by virtue of insights provided from the Mind Stone. Like, he had that gravity gun weapon that Tony never seems to have incorporated into anything. Yonn-Rogg's weapon seemed like a more powerful version of Ultron's, so that might be at least one form of tech that is outside of Tony's current level of expertise.

I also suspect that if he was available to examine Fury's pager, even he would be at a loss to figure out how it can communicate at such distances with such miniaturized tech.

Definitely would have no idea how their space travel works. The drop points, or whatever they're called, are probably working on dimensional principles that he doesn't even have the most basic principles of.
Or maybe Tony is like an orc, his superpower only works when he builds a focus like the armor, Nobody else can understand or make it work since it just becomes dead metal and wires to them.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Oh, yeah, I totally forgot the mid-credit sequence.
That might explain why nobody has seemed to comment on the fact that Carol, on returning, has a somewhat strained, haggard look to her (her hair at least seems to be unkempt), and seems to have not only returned to Earth with amazing speed but kind of felt to me as though she teleported amongst them.

The late credits scene just seemed straightforward to me as humourously addressing the point that, for The Avengers to have happened, they must have gotten The Tesserect out of Goose at some point. Before it came up, I actually bet my brother that it was going to be Fury collecting the thing from a litter box.

Top Bottom