[Carcossone] Just grabbed Big Box 2017!

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I haven't played a game of Carcossone in my life, but I hear it is an excellent and classic game, so my wife and I took the plunge to buy the latest big box.

What are your impressions of Carcossone? If you have specifically Big Box 2017? and good expansions that aren't included?

We are eager to play it sometime this weekend?

So tell me about Carcossone and your adventures placing down the tiles!

FMP

Validated User
Carcassonne is indeed an excellent game. My main recommendation would be not to try to do all the expansions in the box at once. Start with the plain game, maybe + the River.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
Catan gets the credit for kicking off the Board Game Renaissance, but I prefer Carcassonne. It's an old favorite, though hasn't hit the table in years (but, at least one of my players hasn't played it, so going to try to bring it out in December).

As FMP says, try doing a basic game first to get the mechanics down- farmers in particular seem to be a point of confusion. After that, Inns and Cathedrals is my go to expansion- it allows for higher scoring roads, and the cathedrals can be a gamble- they increase the value of cities, but only if you can complete it. So do you try to boost one of your cities, or sabotage an opponents?

Builders and traders is my next add- trade goods add some strategic concerns, builders help in completing roads and cities while also helping get through the increased number of tiles.

Beyond that... I don't actually recognize any of the other expansions. I think my Big Box came out under Rio Grande Games, and might have a different set of extras that I haven't tried.

Nightward

IntranationalManOfMisery
Validated User
I played with the guys at my old job, where I came to be known as the nematode for parasitically sucking up points. Don't be afraid to steal the glory of others; I found that the path to many a victory, much to their chagrin.

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
We like the game so far. We have played a couple games with base and then river. We are going to as two player play each expansion individually then again with each each expansion added in. It is going to be interesting.

We did play a 5 player game which was interesting with Inns and Cathedrals. Both Cathedrals were used to stop any progress made to a city.

ExNihilo

The lesser of two weasels
Validated User
Carcassonne is indeed an excellent game. My main recommendation would be not to try to do all the expansions in the box at once. Start with the plain game, maybe + the River.
I wouldn't even use farmers the first time.

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
We have been playing quite a bit over the weekend. What we are doing is doing all the expansions one at a time with the beginning base game + farmers. After we do each expansion by itself, we will probably start from the River and add one expansion until we are playing with all of them.

At that point we will do a free for all.

Is there any expansion we should get after the big box? The only one I know of that might be good is the River 2? I hear most of the early ones outside the ones we have add more competitive and aggressiveness to the game.

Also what is your preferred starts? We currently have been doing the starting tile and it ends with big farms and there is generally a big fight to see who can claim in the end either shared or not.

oni no won

Validated User
Of all the gateway Eurogames, Carcassonne was my least favorite. I played it several times, more times than I wanted because my friend liked it a lot. I did play the videogame version which was OK mostly because it did the calculations for me. I have not tried it with the expansion besides the river expansion.

Crusty One

Validated User
It's an excellent game. My preferred set up is River, plus Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders. Princess and Dragon can be fun too, especially with more players, as it makes things more chaotic and can be a bit of a leveller if there's a large disparity in skill.

Incidentally, disparity in skill is the main reason this doesn't get played a lot by my group anymore. Two of us play it all the time on our phones and are notably better at the game than everyone else. It's less fun for everyone if it's a two person race from the outset.

Top Bottom