IC Carrier Group (Atomic Highway)

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
California, Southern San Diego, near the San Ysidro border crossing

The first sign of trouble is the distant sound of an explosion. The second is the plumes of smoke rising from the direction of the border crossing. Closer to the scene, gunfire can be heard. But the short battle is over before anyone has time to reach the scene, and the gunfire gets more sporadic and then stops entirely.

The border crossing is a scene of devastation. Of the four armored UN personnel carriers at the scene, two are on fire and the third has fallen on its side after apparently ramming a heavy weapon position. The military truck that seems to have been the fifth vehicle in the convoy has taken fire too, its armored windshield shattered and one of the front tires blown off. But the heavily armored octagonal container the truck was carrying remains unbreached despite some superficial damage.

The battlefield is littered with bodies. UN peacekeepers in blue uniforms and people in black uniforms lacking any insignia or markings. Near the rear of the truck are also some people in white NBC suits. There are no living survivors from either side in sight.

It looks like some of the black clad soldiers may have been killed by their former comrades after they died and turned, before the fresh zombies were themselves put down. Many of the corpses in black near the truck appear to be unarmed, possibly zombies who dropped their weapons when they turned. A couple of black uniformed zombies remain, although they are not much of a threat. One is pinned under the fallen APC, vainly scratching at the ground in an attempt to free itself. Another is gnawing at the arm of a dead comrade, but the legs of that zombie have been shredded, perhaps by a grenade, and it cannot walk.

Otherwise, there are no zombies around yet, despite the noise. Perhaps the surrounding area was largely clear of them for some reason. A group of zombies in border guard uniforms are shambling towards the scene from the other side of the border, but they are still some distance away. But the sounds of battle carried for quite a distance, and it will be only a matter of time before the zombies from farther off begin arriving in force.

The first people to reach the scene are living, though. First an autogyro flies overhead, shortly followed by the arrival of an armored truck, a hummer and an ambulance decorated with sorcerous sigils and gang tags. Then two more vehicles arrive from the opposite direction. A pair of battered pick up trucks carrying an armed group. An older woman and five people in their late teens or early twenties, two women and three men. The latter arrivals stop short of reaching the scene of battle, regarding the other group warily.
 
Last edited:

Insertname

Registered User
Validated User
Fatima pulls the Humvee up to an abrupt halt beside the personnel carriers and gets out. She moves swiftly to the zombie without legs and drives her combat knife through the base of its skull in a swift, sure movement.*

She looks over to the upcoming group while wiping the blood from her knife. She smiles and waves, "Everyone say something just so everyone knows you're alive." She says it conversationally, and half jokingly, but waits for everyone (ideally on both sides) to say something all the same.

Fatima makes a point to not put the knife away, but also to not draw the gun. Distance is good.

OOC: I'm going to assume someone's taking care of the other surviving zombie, so I'll leave it for another PC to describe.
 

Cattrina

Registered User
Validated User
Katya was sitting next to Fatima and does not hesitate to pull her crossbow and bolts from the backseat and rushes towards the second zombie. She finds a safe vantage point and lets her steady hands do the shooting. Aiming for the head.

"Laurie, can you spot any more baddies around? Could use some backup just in case, Ike and Ryan... Whoops, sorry I am doing it again" she laughs as she caught herself issuing orders
 
Last edited:

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The people in the other group appear to relax slightly. “Something!” calls out a girl holding a hunting rifle, and the words get repeated in a laughing chorus by the others. Then the older woman pokes her head out of the window and calls: “Hello there! I have no idea what happened here, but there seems to be valuable salvage lying around. Might be more than enough for all of us, and very few zombies too. But it won’t be long before they start swarming in. So how do we resolve this?”
 

Insertname

Registered User
Validated User
Fatima frowns and thinks for a moment.

"Pick some organized people from your group. We pick a few from ours. Those people do a full inventory while everyone else keeps watch. Once we have an inventory we can divide up no problem." She turns to her crewmantes, "Sound good?"
 

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
Bernard leans out the window, smiling his trademark unconcerned smile.

"Hi!" he says. "We need tha- hold on."

He disappears back into the cab and turns off an episode of This American Life, then leans out again and point at the octagonal container.

"We need that thing. How about you folks take first crack at the salvage while we're dealing with it? Then we can split what's left."
 

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A black kid with glasses driving the second pick-up truck calls out to the older woman: “Hey, Teach! These people want what is in the vehicles, and it looks like Team Blue was driving them. Might be good stuff in that truck, but there is more of Team Black. So-”

“Got to give respect for Team Blue you know,” interrupts a white kid with piercings sitting next to the black kid. “Ambushed and outnumbered and they still took Team Black with them.”

“May I finish?” the other kid says. “I was about to suggest that we loot Team Black and the other bunch loots Team Blue, including the vehicles. That way, we can just grab stuff and load it up and be ready to roll out once the z-swarm arrives.”

“Well…” the older woman muses, then calls out to the heroes: “How does that sound to you?”
 

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
Laurie hauls herself partly out of the driver's side window of the ambulance, crossbow still gripped in one arm, and takes a good look around.

Her only comment on the scene to Katya is "Nothing so far, but there'll be twitchers on the way..." as she looks around, then adds in a slightly louder voice "If there's medical supplies on any of those bodies, flesh or metal? I'm always interested in those."

Orion lithely jumps from window to roof, and surveys the crowd. Laurie nods to the cat, then says loudly "Faster we get on with it, less we have to worry about from the dead, people!" as she opens the door and slings the crossbow.
 

Dude_Normal

Registered User
Validated User
Ronnie walks out the autogyro with his arms crossed, a slight look of annoyance on his face as he watched the two groups banter "I like picking shit off dead fuckers as much as the next guy but I was paid to go meet up with somebody named Bernard for a job" he gestures around the carnage of the fight, letting the crackling of fire fill the air to drive his point "I don't want to sound like a cunt but can somebody tell me WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS GOING ON!?" he pointed at the trucker "I already asked extra to be doing a job blind but even that has a limit, I mean I don't admit to being a smart bastard, but something but this whole military shitfest just screams spooks and black ops."

The giant pulled out two axes off his chest before leaning up against the rotorcraft. From behind his steel mask and heavy padded plate armor his whole body gave a pissed look of irritation, his instincts screaming at him that this job would change his life forever but the idea of pay keeping him in place.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom