• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Cartoon Action Hour Goes Hardcopy

Cynthia Celeste Miller

"Shut up your damn head!"
Validated User
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Eastchester, New York
October 7, 2002

Z-MAN GAMES TO PUBLISH FIRST RPG

Z-Man Games, Inc. announces today that it will publish its first roleplaying game, called Cartoon Action Hour. Originally designed and electronically published by Spectrum Game Studios, it will be expanded and released as a 192 page softcover book.

Cartoon Action Hour is a roleplaying game system that allows players to create characters in the many different worlds of 80's action cartoons, a fact that appealed to Zev Shlasinger, president of Z-Man Games. "I am a fan of the 80's style action cartoons - I even wrote an episode of the Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers - and with 'retro-toons' being hot these days, it seemed a good choice as the first RPG we publish."

While there are no recognizable licenses involved with the game as of yet, you can still create characters such as giant transforming robots, furry warriors, barbarians with magic swords, paramilitary forces, and so on. A GM develops a series for players to play in, and each game session is an episode in that series.

Cynthia Celeste Miller, president of Spectrum Game Studios says, "We achieved great success with Cartoon Action Hour as a PDF, but lacked the funds to produce a hardcopy of the game, so we decided to search for another company to do it. We found out that many companies do not accept outside submissions - that is until we discovered Z-Man Games. They've been extremely flexible and cooperative with our goals and ideals. We've really enjoyed working with them and look forward to a long, pleasant partnership."

Meanwhile, back at Z-Man Games, Shlasinger finishes by saying, "I think people are going to be surprised at how flexible this system is, while retaining the flavor of the various 80's style action cartoons."

Cartoon Action Hour is scheduled for release in February, according to Spectrum game designer, Eddy Webb. "It's really two books in one - the complete game system, which is massively expanded from its original electronic release, as well as a thorough series sourcebook for GMs and players to dive into called 'Warriors of the Cosmos'." In keeping the game to its roots, it will be supported with a quarterly PDF magazine called After These Messages. Other books in the works include Kids' Action Hour, a sourcebook with simplified character generation rules and ideas on how to play the humor-based cartoons of the 1980's.

Z-Man Games was founded in 1999 and has released such Origins Award-nominated products as the Shadowfist CCG and the B-movie card game line, which includes Grave Robbers from Outer Space. In 2002, they released the first of a new type of game, the playmark book game called, Warchon. For more information, please email zmangames@shadowfist.com

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
http://www.zmangames.com

David Hamilton

dangerous artist
Validated User
wh00t!

Bring on the campy, cartoony goodness!!

Cynthia, are you still searching for illustrators for this project?...Want my e-mail addy again?....link to my gallery?.....blood sacrifice?....wink-wink, nudge-nudge, tickle-tickle, say no more?...

David Hamilton

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Validated User
The art selection is in the hands of Z-Man Games now. I forwarded them all the responses I received from artists (alkong with my own comments) and they're assigning pieces based on the pic ideas I typed up.

As for who gets chosen, I have little say there. Which doesn't bother me too much because I'm positively swamped right now. lol

Hopefully, you'll hear something soon. :)

Gonster

that krazy kat!
Validated User
Glad to see it coming out in hardback + expanded...

Don't remember exactly what the deal was, but I thought there was some kind of possible discount for those who ponied up for the .pdf if they wanted to purchase the hardback -- is this still a possibility or is it null & void due to a seperate company publishing?

Gonster

Cynthia Celeste Miller

Validated User
Thanks, Gonster!

Yeah, we never really settled on what the "bonus" that the PDF buyers would get for buying the CAH hardcopy as well. I doubt it'll be a discount, due to the reason you stated.

That said, I still plan to give some kind of super cool bonus. Possibly free issues of After These Messages, since it will still be in PDF format.

I'll announce something formally before February. :)

travis

my baby is the cutiest!
Validated User
Congrats! I'm saving my pennies (well, ok, I'm saving room on my credit card) for the hardcover.

-travis
who keeps missing the new He-Man episodes :-(

edit: Does this mean that Skippy the Wonder Dog could make an appearance in CAH? He's the perfect cartoon sidekick. Skippy!!!

Top Bottom