[Castle Falkenstein] Talk to me about Castle Falkenstein

LordDraqo

Technical Shaman
Validated User
I did not like Tom Olam myself, but mostly due to his annoying luddite attitude towards the idea of the world of Castle Falkenstein embracing anything resembling our world's modernism. Yes, Tom, heaven forbid someone in Europa invent a working Steampunk Television or a functional Steampunk Internet, or God Forbid, SKYSCRAPERS. We need to keep Europa as Victorian as Possible, no matter what possible benefits to society such technologies might bring.

Sorry, I just do not like Luddism.
Olam did not have a luddite attitude. What he did have was a keep comprehension of how Otto vonBismark's attitude would turn Europe into the breeding grounds for two world wars, and how the activities of the Steam Barons of England were congruent with direct subversions of the Second Compact which was necessary since the Adversary had already subverted the original Compact. But, hey, that is just the basis of the fiction in which the protagonist is attempting not to allow for wholesale genocide. So yeah, I don't really need either the skyscrapers (which are being built in the United States) or the internet.

PdO

Validated User
I always kind of got the impression that Tom was actually the annoying tag-along sidekick who all the actually capable characters grudgingly put up with, and that the information in the book was his extremely slanted account of what happened. I don't think that's how it's intended, though.
Ha! Suddenly I want a Falkenstein sourcebook written by Harry Flashman!

James Gray

Validated User
I'll let others debate the luddite or non-luddite nature of the Second Compact and Tom Olam. I have my own opinions on the matter but I don't want to influence anyone or create disharmony.

PdO said:
Ha! Suddenly I want a Falkenstein sourcebook written by Harry Flashman!
That would be a bit tought. While Harry Flashman is, technically, a public domain character the majority of his exploits are in the Flashman Paper series and those are quite firmly controlled by copyright. I'm also somewhat reluctant, I must admit, to make a rapist a narrative character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom