[Castle Falkenstein] Talk to me about Castle Falkenstein

James Gray

Validated User
Michael Cule said:
Even there, Mr Norrell is not a hero for squirreling away all that knowledge to himself. Jonathan Strange, who writes a book of general magical theory and has it suppressed for his trouble, is.
Anarchists "Magick wants to be free" Sorcerers sound like a great plot for a CF game!

Addison said:
Please consider eventually combining the rules 'variations' into a single volume that it is large enough to warrant POD (on the heavier quality paper).
That is absolutely the plan. We're putting the smaller books out as we create them so there's "something" on the market every so often and because the modern digital age supports the method but eventually there'll be one big book ala Unearthed Arcana.

Dionysos

Validated User
Curious Creatures was terrific. It was a perfect Castle Falkenstein supplement. I would have preferred original art, and I generally find public domain art in RPG books to be an eyesore. The art in CC was applied in a tasteful, pleasing manner, though. The writing and rules bits were lovely. A wonderful book all around.

You know what I want to see next? What would really get people excited? A space supplement. A pinch of A Trip to the Moon, a dash of War of the Worlds and a sprinkle of John Carter of Mars makes for some heady sci-fi Victoriana. I will buy all the copies.

James Gray

Validated User
Dionysos said:
You know what I want to see next? What would really get people excited? A space supplement. A pinch of A Trip to the Moon, a dash of War of the Worlds and a sprinkle of John Carter of Mars makes for some heady sci-fi Victoriana. I will buy all the copies.
Thank you for the kind words about Curious Creatures! Please consider leaving a review. Even if you just cut and paste what was just said it would be perfect.

We don't have a "space" supplement planned for now. A big part of doing one would be to figure out how to differentiate it from Space: 1889 which is still being released. I'll add it to the list as something of interest, though! No reason we can't do it. Just have to handle it correctly. Of course, in Castle Falkenstein it has already been stated that the War of the Worlds happened and Tom Olam mentions having learned a bit of swordfighting from Jon Carter himself. A lunar shell is mentioned in Steam Age. Thus, there's no reason a home campaign can't play around with Victorian aliens and space flight before we get to it officially...

LordDraqo

Technical Shaman
Validated User
Thank you for the kind words about Curious Creatures! Please consider leaving a review. Even if you just cut and paste what was just said it would be perfect.

We don't have a "space" supplement planned for now. A big part of doing one would be to figure out how to differentiate it from Space: 1889 which is still being released. I'll add it to the list as something of interest, though! No reason we can't do it. Just have to handle it correctly. Of course, in Castle Falkenstein it has already been stated that the War of the Worlds happened and Tom Olam mentions having learned a bit of sword fighting from Jon Carter himself. A lunar shell is mentioned in Steam Age. Thus, there's no reason a home campaign can't play around with Victorian aliens and space flight before we get to it officially...
Certainly sounds like a great idea for the Mystic Order of the Golden Mean (from The Book of Sigils) and Sorcerous Magnetic Engines from The Lost Notebooks of Leonardo DaVinci to pursue.

James Gray

Validated User
LordDraqo said:
Certainly sounds like a great idea for the Mystic Order of the Golden Mean (from The Book of Sigils) and Sorcerous Magnetic Engines from The Lost Notebooks of Leonardo DaVinci to pursue.
The Mystic Order of the Golden Mean is one of my favorites!

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User

We don't have a "space" supplement planned for now. A big part of doing one would be to figure out how to differentiate it from Space: 1889 which is still being released. I'll add it to the list as something of interest, though! No reason we can't do it. Just have to handle it correctly. Of course, in Castle Falkenstein it has already been stated that the War of the Worlds happened and Tom Olam mentions having learned a bit of swordfighting from Jon Carter himself. A lunar shell is mentioned in Steam Age. Thus, there's no reason a home campaign can't play around with Victorian aliens and space flight before we get to it officially...
Which Moon would you have, Burroughs' The Moon Maid or Wells' The First Men in the Moon? (Or a mix?)

Edit: obviously there's already a mix of both their Marses, so doing the same for the Moon makes sense.

Last edited:

Unseenlibrarian

Definitely NOT a Monkey.
Validated User
When I was doing SPace Stuff for CF in my game, we had a whole thing about how Wells' Martians were from Mars' present and Barsoom was the distant past that Carter projected himself to, to try and resolve the differences.

James Gray

Validated User
There's a few way to resolve the "multiple moons" and "multiple Mars" ideas. One is, of course, as Unseenlibrarian mentioned: Carter went to the past while the Wells Martians came from the present. There's also the possibility that Barsoom is, in fact, a different planet altogether. Perhaps the mysterious "Planet X" or "Counter Earth"?

As for the moon, there could be different civilizations on different sections of the moon... or perhaps there are actually two moons.

The obvious one and a second, smaller satellite which is rarely visible from orbit. This article on claimed "second moons" might well give some inspiration there.

Top Bottom