• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

(Castles & Crusades) What are you doing with it?

I was just curious to see what other people were using this game for.

Are you playing random dungeon crawls, old worlds like Dragonlance, homebrews, or really esoteric stuff?

I'm not looking for a debate of the system. I just wanted to see what people were doing with it and maybe a little on how they altered rules and added outside material.

I met some guys from a website and they want to play a Middle-Earth campaign set 1500 years before the trilogy. They want to use Castles and Crusades. The game is new to me, but not really new because it's very similar to d20 and its old incarnations. I almost had an excuse to buy Burning Wheel! However, we need something quick and easy for our short three hour sessions. We'll probably houserule the game with some other stuff. There's talk of elements from MERP/Rolemaster being used. I'm trying to find an alternative magic system instead of using the base Vancivanilla one. We may chuck the whole magic system or alter it similarly to what Monte Cook did in his Arcana Unearthed.

Nelzie

Validated User
Here's my website....

www.nelzie.net

My campaign world is mostly fleshed out on that site, there's more to it than what is available on my website.

I make sweet, sweet gaming adventures with C&C.

E.T.Smith

A Most Sincere Poseur
Validated User
Off Topic Comment: Moving this thread to the D20 forum is a bit of a stretch, as the game doesn't even bill itself as a D20 system.

On Topic: Check my sig and the Actual Play of this site. Sadly, the canmpaign is currently on hiatus.

The more I see of C&C, the more it intrigues me. However, the one thing that bothers me is that there are only 12 levels .... although I guess it would be possible to houserule another 8. ;)

Off Topic Comment: Moving this thread to the D20 forum is a bit of a stretch, as the game doesn't even bill itself as a D20 system.

On Topic: Check my sig and the Actual Play of this site. Sadly, the canmpaign is currently on hiatus.
They moved a major C&C thread over here on the day of this forum's creation, so I'd say that it's in the correct spot. At least it is, according to the forum administrators' actions.... :D

Ozric

Validated User
I've not actually played C&C yet, but I'm strongly thinking about using it to set some Dungeon Crawl Classics, and maybe some of Necromancer's adventures, in the Wilderlands.

ShannonA

RPG Historian
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's derived from the SRD and is largely compatible with d20 and especially xD&D. It doesn't use the d20 trademark because doing so would be in violation of the d20 license, because C&C has character creation and experience rules. Thus it's what's increasingly being called a "d20 system game" rather than a "d20 game". The term I use here and in the index is "OGL (d20)".

Nelzie

Validated User
The more I see of C&C, the more it intrigues me. However, the one thing that bothers me is that there are only 12 levels .... although I guess it would be possible to houserule another 8. ;)
Between level 9 and 10, depending upon class, the total amount of XP needed per level becomes a static number. It's works out to being close to 250,000 for the majority of the classes. (Although, there are no additional abilities listed in the book, except spellcasters gaining new spells.)

Treebore

Banned
I have been taking one of two approache for play above 12th level (actually 9th level). Working out powers that suite my tastes as the CK and my players like. The other is to modify PrC's from 3E to fill in those levels.

Spinachcat

Validated User
I am considering running C&C Planescape this fall.
Here's the campaign idea:

The PCs are citizens of Sigil who work as freelancers for the Guild of Zoos. The Guild posts the unusual and bizarre requests of their patrons and the PCs can take any contract they like on a success only basis. The PCs need to bring'em back alive, but who knows where some of the beasties may be found? Who knows what trouble lies along the way? Who knows what rival forces may be at work? Who knows what trouble the PCs can get into?

As for levels after 12, I skip them. 13th level characters retire on mounds of wealth and live the good life. Adventurers risk everything for the good life away from those sick players who keep putting them in danger each week! If someone in my game got a character to 13th, I would let him roll up his next character and add 13 points to the stats.

Top Bottom