• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Cat RPG

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
I admit that I had shyed away from indie/small-press games. I was introduced to T&J not too long ago, decided to give it a shot. It's turned out to be a good deal of fun (not bad, considering the pittance the PDF cost). I think that T&J might even be the game that was my 'gateway drug' into small-press games. So it came to be that I bought Cat.

A while back, someone had mentioned the Cat RPG. I had it saved as a 'to look into' link, but could never convince myself to buy it. Two days ago, I finally clicked the "Buy" button (or whatever the equivalent was on the website). Know what I found? It's fun to read. I haven't played it yet, but the take on cats as a gaming entity is a hoot. I can probably get several friends to buy into playing it, too.

That's all. Just wanted to say I'm enjoying the... what, eight bucks?... I spent. :)

Last edited:

Asklepios

Validated User
Sounds interesting!

Is it actually about rping ordinary cats? I've been toying around with the idea of players as animals ever since Knights of the Dinner Table came up with the idea of Dawg: The Roleplaying Game

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
Sounds interesting!

Is it actually about rping ordinary cats? I've been toying around with the idea of players as animals ever since Knights of the Dinner Table came up with the idea of Dawg: The Roleplaying Game
Well, domestic housecats like you see every day, but I wouldn't say 'ordinary'. They've got magic of their own that they weave via their tails (they've got 5 stats, as I recall- everything from Face to Tail, each of which covers the appopriate 'gaming' stats). Their main enemy seems to be Boggins- otherworldly entities that try to drag down humanity with things like hopelessness, addiction, etc.

I couldn't do it justice to explain the hows and whys cats came to be human guardians; basically, it was all a big universal contest to see who takes on the helm as the 'anti-Boggin' system for the universe. Dogs, IIRC, came in second, and that's why they've got a grudge much against cats. Something like that.

The game itself is fun to read; for that alone I think it was worth the money. Given the number of cat lovers (even non-gamer types!) that I know, I might be able to get some short games going on. Hell, between this and T&J, I might even get some PbP games!

Asklepios

Validated User
Sounds cool... I liked T&J a lot, so I'm sure my tastes will be running similar to yours. Is it a ASMP game?

Do you have a link btw?

Spinachcat

Validated User
CAT could be the first RPG sold in pet stores. It's a great idea as a break through game for kids and other pet lovers. Too bad it's not marketed to them.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
CAT could be the first RPG sold in pet stores. It's a great idea as a break through game for kids and other pet lovers. Too bad it's not marketed to them.
Is it marketed at all?

Can John Wick actually afford marketing? Profit margins are so low already.

- Ian

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's charming- I have a laser printed copy in bag right now.

A really marvelous little game.... Cats defend people against unseen spiritual monsters and parasites because they won this great astral brawl, and humans lost... the winners then has to look after the losers.

Pretty simple even/odd based die mechanic using six siders. You get dice based on your stat (say, Legs for running like hell from a dog), possibly some from a reputation (2 from Canine Confounder rep), and from any Advantages the player can creatively describe into the action ("I weave in and out of the chair legs in the crowded caffe , causing the dog to slam into people's chairs, and them to scold him as a 'bad dog!'") looking for Evens. 1 for a pretty easy thing, 5 for a reall impossible thing.

Simple, easy, and clever. As I said- charming.

-B

oreso

Pompey Crew Design
I've been playing a high-powered cat game (called Neko!) with my little brothers using Wushu style mechanics, DitV town creation and the stats, etc from Cat (I have the rules uploaded if anyone is interested).

Last game, Anubis (who is a dog) was fighting Bast (who is a cat) for control of the fertile land around the Nile (and associated human populations). The cat PCs tried to defend Bast and her huge cat-shaped temple and Anubis was eventually destroyed but not before the humans cowering inside the temple were killed rather messily also. Then of course, the blood inside the temple started to pump around it and there was a huge boss battle which ended with one of the PCs cutting themselves out of the temple-cat's throat.

Cat's are awesome, and John Wick's Cat is an awesomely realised game. If I had the gaming group to suit the surreal tone I would run it pretty much as is.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
Sounds cool... I liked T&J a lot, so I'm sure my tastes will be running similar to yours. Is it a ASMP game?

Do you have a link btw?
It's not Atomic Sock Monkey... Wicked Dead Brewing Company.

http://www.wicked-dead.com/cat/

What's funny is that at first, I kind of blanched at T&J. I needed some coaching moving from the d20/HERO crunchiness, and to become comfortable in defining the aspects of the character so thoroughly. It's still not my top pick, but I do enjoy playing it.

There are a bunch of other games on the site that I'm going to look into. They don't all interest me, but there are at least a couple at quick glance.

Top Bottom