Cat RPG

C.W.Richeson

RPG Reviewer
RPGnet Member
The SO bought me a copy for xmas, and I'm really looking forward to checking it out :)

The previews alone sold me, and I suspect that even while I'm joining the "Cat is awesome" movement rather late it's the sort of game I'd eagerly purchase a supplement or expanded version of.

Lord Minx

Validated User
The thing that sold me on Cat was that it has more or less the same premisse as a Neil Gaiman story that I love.
Spoiler: Show
Where a black, badass tomcat is adopted by a family and fights to protect them from the devil, who comes to their house every night, trying to get in. Every night, he defeats the devil and every night he gets hurt a bit more, every night he gets weaker. And who knows what happens when he can't fight any longer, when there's nobody there to protect them anymore...

It's a really cool game.

M

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
There are really so many different ways to play Cat. I never anticipated all of them. I'm going to be publishing either an expanded edition or a supplement (probably called "Kittens!") for all the stuff people have asked me to do with the game. I hate doing a "second edition," but the game has been available for almost five years and that seems about the right time to do something bigger with my little game. :)
Cool. I know a lot of indie designers hate to do second editions or expanded versions, but I see it as a mark of success. Nobody ever demanded Return to Ishtar, after all.

Mike Montesa

Validated User
Played a one-shot of Cat last Sunday and had a blast. Had a good discussion about it with the players after it was over, plan on an AP post and some feedback to John Wick as well.

Fun game, great premise!

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
Lemme guess: the "Enemies" section?

I am more of a dog person.

:)
Yeah, but they also fall under the 'Good Dog, Bat Cat' section (I believe that's what it's called). Dogs have a set of stats vaguely similar to that of cats; they also have magic- it's not as powerful as that of cats, but they do have it.

The idea is that some dogs know they came in 2nd in that Great Astral Contest mentioned above, but their sense of duty to humans overrides their jealousy, and they end up helping the felines in their mission. The rules for playing dogs aren't readily apparent, but I can't imagine it'd be *that* hard to manage it within the rules.

Conversely, there are cats that grow tired of the abuses heaped upon them by humans (a mama cat seeing her kittens given away, cats hearing of cats being tossed in a bag then into a lake, etc.). These cats go rogue, and use the taboo trick of 'Stealing Breath'.

Last edited:

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, but they also fall under the 'Good Dog, Bat Cat' section (I believe that's what it's called). Dogs have a set of stats vaguely similar to that of cats; they also have magic- it's not as powerful as that of cats, but they do have it.

The idea is that some dogs know they came in 2nd in that Great Astral Contest mentioned above, but their sense of duty to humans overrides their jealousy, and they end up helping the felines in their mission. The rules for playing dogs aren't readily apparent, but I can't imagine it'd be *that* hard to manage it within the rules.

Conversely, there are cats that grow tired of the abuses heaped upon them by humans (a mama cat seeing her kittens given away, cats hearing of cats being tossed in a bag then into a lake, etc.). These cats go rogue, and use the taboo trick of 'Stealing Breath'.
I had this really nutty idea for what would basically be Cat+Dexter... an abused Tom is taught to take his anti-human impulses and use them to take care of "bad" humans... he wanders around, ingratiates himself to evil people who hurt others, and then steals their breath or encourages the boggins to eat them.

The dog rules could be easily swung into action for PC canines... it really wouldn't take much.

-B

Delbert

Doctor
To the poster who was talking about a Cat / CoC crossover, there was "Cat-thulhu" printed in the fourth (I think) issue of "Worlds of Cthulhu."

Old Lord Skull

Retired User
If you are interested in some great source material that could be used in Cat, you should check out the book "Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams, the author that wrote the "Otherlands" books. It is a real unique take on the cat world. They even have a glossary in the back for cat and other animal language words.

Top Bottom