• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Cats Movie first trailer

taschoene

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think you mean 2021.

Still I get why that one would take a while to get off the ground, since all the rights for wizard of Oz are weird, since Disney owns a lot of them,. but not the movie directly. I don't know its complicated.
Yeah, that's quite a typo... Oops.

Ark

OrangeBlue
Validated User
Heavens, this trailer might make catboys for me retroactively unsexy for my whole former life ><
Going to play FFXIV a bit to prevent that.

Occam's Spork

be seeing you.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I must have an unusually high tolerance for the uncanny valley, because from reactions here and else-ware on the internet... I just don't see what the big deal is. Not my thing, but neither was the original. I certainly am not getting the whole "nightmare fuel" comments.

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
I'm waiting for an Amazing Alexander movie - I loved it, It was much better than Cats. I'm going to see it again and again.

Ancient SNL skits aside, given the source material, you pretty much have to go super weird or go home. They are not going home.

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm pretty OK with this. I saw the touring production, and watched the DVD an awful lot with my daughter and her friends when they were small. In a lot of ways, this reads to me as people with better "cat" suits than the Broadway production. Making them look more like actual cats would've hurt the production, in my opinion, because then it would've been a Broadway musical with ALIENS instead.
I'm probably going to go see this.
(As to plot, the source material literally has no plot. It's just a book of poems.)

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I must have an unusually high tolerance for the uncanny valley, because from reactions here and else-ware on the internet... I just don't see what the big deal is. Not my thing, but neither was the original. I certainly am not getting the whole "nightmare fuel" comments.
Yeah, I don't get it either. The people-cats are no different than the CGI Hulk, or any other merging of an actor's face onto a fantasy body.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
The cat-people are starkly different from Hulk, who's not a hybrid with another real animal. Cats still isn't on the level of the new Sonic, but they're much closer to Sonic than they are Hulk.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm cool with this. It's an unusual aesthetic, but I'm OK with that. I have watched much stranger things and enjoyed them, and this will feature amazing music.

...and an amazing cast, too. I mean, look at those names! How can this movie suck?

Sorry, not on the hate train. Looking forward to this.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
I did find Sir Ian and Dame Judi a bit easier to look at simply because they have such extra head fur:

I was looking at the difference between human and cat anatomy w/r/t the placement of the ears. The eardrum, cochlea, etc. on both humans and cats is in roughly the same place on the skull. Humans have a pretty straight shot from the ear to the eardrum. Cats, because their ears are on the tops of their heads, have a longer ear canal, with a bend separating it into a vertical and horizontal canal, but they also have a narrower skull behind the eye sockets, which makes room for the extended ear canal.

The furry hair on McKellen and Dench, above, masks the size of their skulls somewhat and makes the placement of the ears not look so weird.

Top Bottom