• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Cats Movie first trailer

Isator Levie

Validated User
Use a direction that pushes the boundaries of filmed expression in the manner of, say, Spider-Verse
Oh snap, Spider-Verse may have actually been what made me start to see the shape of a Hamilton adaptation.

The obstacle that I see is that Hamilton is unlike a lot of musicals of which I'm aware in that many of the songs are kind of directed out past the fourth wall, as well as several that condense a significant range of time and place. I think they also often have an energy and rhythm that would not work well with the more obvious kind of work-around, such as montages.

But if it was in the hands of film creators that recognised those qualities and employed the appropriate editing and style to make them pop, it could work pretty well.

...Moulin Rouge is a movie that was then adapted for the stage.
Is that a case in which the stage lost a lot of the film techniques that made it stand out on screen became lost? This statement doesn't exactly address my point about what in film helped to make a musical.

Grumpygoat said:
A stage show will need extensive changes to work on film
Some do, but Cats is already so distinct among stage shows that I feel as though it's already equipped with features that are waiting to embrace film.

Grumpygoat said:
to the point that the decades long success of a Broadway show is nearly irrelevant to it working successfully on film.
It is relevant to addressing a person inferring that the show's barebones and kind of abstract story is an obstacle to it having appeal.

Desert_Ranger

I die free
Validated User
I must have an unusually high tolerance for the uncanny valley, because from reactions here and else-ware on the internet... I just don't see what the big deal is. Not my thing, but neither was the original. I certainly am not getting the whole "nightmare fuel" comments.
I don’t get it either. I mean, I have zero interest in the movie, but it doesn’t terrify me either.

Edit: Also, as someone who saw Cats in the theater as a young teen, and barely remembered it, y'all have no idea how gratified I am to see that it actually doesn't have much of a plot. Because I've been wracking my brain, thinking, "I saw it. I remember liking. I sort of remember some of the songs. Why the hell can't I remember the plot at all?"

Last edited:

Ember Dragon

wannabe otokoyaku
Validated User
Well I'm hyped. Yea, there's a bit of uncanny valley going on, and Cats has always been a divisive show so I'm not surprised the movie's the same way.

But that cast!

And it's choreographed by the guy who choreographed Hamilton. I'll see it for that alone.

Brawndo

Murder Time Fun Time!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
still though, the consensus seems to be that it was made so they wouldn't have to deign to consider animated films for best picture ever again.
Except that both Up (2009) and Toy Story 3 (2010) each got a Best Picture Nomination while simultaneously being nominated in Best Animated Feature.

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
There's apparently some internet controversy over the fact that the white cat make-up/CGI is obscuring the fact that the actress -- ballet dancer Francesca Hayward -- is black. Not just the color, but altering her features as well. Meanwhile, the argument goes, the white cast members are still identifiable as themselves despite the make-up/CGI.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Except that both Up (2009) and Toy Story 3 (2010) each got a Best Picture Nomination while simultaneously being nominated in Best Animated Feature.
After a whole bunch of criticism of WALL-E's exclusion which led to them increasing the number of nominees, as I recall.

Glamourweaver

Validated User
If there were a Venn Diagram of "Star Wars fans" and "People Who Go See Oscar Bait Movie Adaptations Of Broadway Musicals", I'm betting the overlap isn't going to be all that large.

Speaking of, there needs to be more musical numbers in Star Wars movies.
“Everyone” sees Star Wars.

Other than costuming and technicals, this has zero Oscar ambitions

Glamourweaver

Validated User
A lot of musicals feel this way. The plot's either threadbare or kinda dumb or just predictable and trite, and it's really the music that elevates the material or is too weak to cover up the weaknesses in plot and characterization. While in-depth plot and characterization aren't huge box office draws - dumb movies do well all the time - I think this works against musicals made into films, where some of the spectacle is lost and music alone won't hold up a movie.

And in this case, it doesn't help that the characters look like something out of a horror show.
I’m having a hard time thinking of a successful musical other than Cats that lacks story like this. I know a lot of non-musical fans who came out of Sweeney Todd saying the plot was thready, but when I asked what they meant it invariably turned out they zoned out during the songs and missed that the story was still happening while characters were singing.

Glamourweaver

Validated User
I'm well aware. I'm sure its an amazing production, but on paper its like "...really?"
Among serious musical theatre fans/critics/artists, Cats is actually kind of a joke, to be honest (see both Kimmy Schmidt and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend touching on the subject). But it’s a money maker.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
Among serious musical theatre fans/critics/artists, Cats is actually kind of a joke, to be honest (see both Kimmy Schmidt and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend touching on the subject). But it’s a money maker.
That's a nice way of putting it. I've heard it described in terms of abject loathing, and liking it considered a cardinal sin on par with enjoying blackface minstrel shows in the 21st century.
There's apparently some internet controversy over the fact that the white cat make-up/CGI is obscuring the fact that the actress -- ballet dancer Francesca Hayward -- is black. Not just the color, but altering her features as well. Meanwhile, the argument goes, the white cast members are still identifiable as themselves despite the make-up/CGI.
There's something in that, perhaps. The design of her character is particularly offputting, On the other hand, I wouldn't have been able to recognize James Corden had there not been a caption, and I had to google who Rebel Wilson was to realize I had seen her in something. This movie just throws your facial recognition neurons into a sideways death spiral.

Last edited:
Top Bottom