Celebrating Greyhawk: A Fandom Renaissance - GaryCon XI Seminar

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
I'm getting back into Greyhawk after a longtime away, so this is quite timely...

It looks like it was a cool seminar! (Based on the blog post; I don't have the patience to listen to podcasts, alas.)

But looking at Oerth Journal #28, "Greyhawk Reborn" (pp.24-26), I have to wonder what happened to the setting over the past few decades. The description of C.Y.619 was quite alien to the setting I knew and loved, that of Gygax's folio (1980) and box set (1983). Is this how most current Greyhawkians understand the setting?

Anyhow, one of these days I'm going to have to go to Gary Con!

Last edited:

b9anders

Validated User
I'm getting back into Greyhawk after a longtime away, so this is quite timely...

It looks like it was a cool seminar! (Based on the blog post; I don't have the patience to listen to podcasts, alas.)

But looking at Oerth Journal #28, "Greyhawk Reborn" (pp.24-26), I have to wonder what happened to the setting over the past few decades. The description of C.Y.619 was quite alien to the setting I knew and loved, that of Gygax's folio (1980) and box set (1983). Is this how most current Greyhawkians understand the setting?

Not at all. It's just one campaign's take on Greyhawk. I think the latest 'official' take is 591, which attempts to roll back some of the most overwhelming changes of the greyhawk wars and try for a setting a bit more like 576 - albeit one that has seen more war and darkness recently and seems more likely to have more of it in the future.

Personally, I love reading about people's alternate Oerths. That to me is the whole point of Greyhawk - You get a chassis and put your own spin on it.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Not at all. It's just one campaign's take on Greyhawk...
Right -- that wasn't stated in the article, but I guess I should've inferred that. I'm sure it was obvious to readers more immersed in Greyhawk than myself.

I'm happy with the 576 C.Y. version of the setting, but certainly am willing to consider incorporating useful things from others' takes on the setting.

b9anders

Validated User
Right -- that wasn't stated in the article, but I guess I should've inferred that. I'm sure it was obvious to readers more immersed in Greyhawk than myself.

I'm happy with the 576 C.Y. version of the setting, but certainly am willing to consider incorporating useful things from others' takes on the setting.
Personally, I think From the Ashes, as an alternate Oerth to draw inspiration from, was chock full of inspiring ideas that I'd happily steal from. It was just too much all-at-once.

grodog

Validated User
If you're looking for any specific resources/pointers, I'd be happy to help if I'm able to.

No worries, that's in part why I wrote the summary with times, so you can hop around to the topics of interest to you (if any ; ) ).

Not at all. It's just one campaign's take on Greyhawk. I think the latest 'official' take is 591, which attempts to roll back some of the most overwhelming changes of the greyhawk wars and try for a setting a bit more like 576 - albeit one that has seen more war and darkness recently and seems more likely to have more of it in the future.
Personally, I think From the Ashes, as an alternate Oerth to draw inspiration from, was chock full of inspiring ideas that I'd happily steal from. It was just too much all-at-once.
Greyhawk's default timeline advanced a few times, most-recently with Living Greyhawk starting at 591 and ending up at 598 CY or something like that by conclusion of the living campaign.

Personally, I love reading about people's alternate Oerths. That to me is the whole point of Greyhawk - You get a chassis and put your own spin on it.
Changing up Greyhawk from campaign to campaign is one of the fun things I particularly enjoy about the setting. The next one I'm beginning to plan around is a "Black Ice Age" campaign---advancing glaciers of the Land of Black Ice south into the Central Flanaess :D

If you're interested in the old-school gaming scene, you should also consider the North Texas RPG Convention: http://ntrpgcon.com/ It's much smaller and intimate than GaryCon, given GC's growth over the past few years.

Allan.

vitruvian

Validated User
Since I recently moved to Milwaukee, I've been kind of interested in the possibility of reconstructing the original Greyhawk setting based on North American geography, with Greyhawk approximately where Chicago is, Dyvers in Milwaukee's position, and the Duchy of Blackmoor far to the northwest around Minneapolis-St. Paul, with the idea to start the campaign off in and around Dyvers and really flesh it out.

Top Bottom