• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[chainmail] dead tree version?

NYTFLYR

Caution: Flying Rocks
Validated User
Im looking over my "Chainmail Miniatures Game Core Rulebook" that I purchased from drivethrurpg and I was wondering if it was ever produced non electrconically? I have the booklette that came with the chainmail starter kit, but this looks to hold a lot more info (80 pgs vs 148 pgs)

Falke

From the Deep!
Validated User
I bought a hard cover edition of Mini rules for the D&D miniatures. I can't remember if it was being called Chainmail in any way or not though. I know it was referring to the pre-painted minis. I managed to snag a new copy of $5 at a local con, a few years back.

Henrix

Formerly 'henrix'
Validated User
The Chainmail rulebook wasnever in print. They had it more or less ready for print when the line was cancelled, but they made the pdf available for us fans.

Falke, you are probably talking about the Miniatures Handbook, an expanded rulebook for the D&D Miniatures game that is the successor to Chainmail And which uses prepainted plastic minis).

Both Chainmail and D&D Miniatures are good games, but in different ways.

Henrix

Formerly 'henrix'
Validated User
The first queation is rather huge! There's a lot of difference between the two games, even if they obviously share a lot.

Chainmail is a much more traditional wargame. It simulates a small scale fantasy skrimish. It has a nice command and control system - you have to spend command points to get the grunts to do anything but the most basic stuff. You measure distances in inches with a ruler.

D&D Miniatures* is more of a fast play board game with miniatures. You move around on a chequered map. There is no morale as such, but you win by counting victory points which include losses.

What do I like and dislike about them?

Well, in Chainmail I really liked the command system. It was a bit slow, but made for interesting choices. I liked (but many hated it) that an ordinary soldier would only do basic stuff (move toward the victory area, attack nearest enemy, etc.) without being told otherwise by the commander.
I can't really think about anything I really dislike, but then it's been a while since I played it, so I might misremember things.
Oh, yes, I don't like that it was (and is!) so hard to get hold of the stats for the minis. The minis weren't always that good, and sometimes in too many parts (and I'm an experienced modeller and pinner!).

D&D Miniatures. Fast play, fun, highly mobile, lots of interesting special abilities. There are a ton of different miniatures for it. Yes, a ton. For the second edition there are already stats for 360 different minis**. And they are cheap and prepainted, so it's easy to try out new forces.
It takes an hour and a half or so to put togheter a force and play, so you can get quite a lot of play in one evening.
What do I not like so much. Well, it's a hybrid board game so I cannot use much in the way of terrain. Scenarios see limited use, and are generally competitive and boardgamey.

All in all both are very good - but you have to take them for what they are.

* The latest edition. The first version was a little more similar to Chainmail, in particular that you had limited control over grunts who were out of command.

** All of them downloadable from WotC's site. That way you don't have to use their minis, if you really don't want to and your opponents are ok with that.

NYTFLYR

Validated User
The first queation is rather huge! There's a lot of difference between the two games, even if they obviously share a lot.
Thanks, after some research If Im going to use any of the rules, it will be chainmail. Im working on making it a bit more generic though, in a WYSIWYG building scheme.

GnomesofZurich

Validated User
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I might be able to find the "Chainmail Miniatures Game Core Rulebook", now that drivethrurpg no longer seems to carry it?

Any help would be appreciated.

NYTFLYR

Validated User
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I might be able to find the "Chainmail Miniatures Game Core Rulebook", now that drivethrurpg no longer seems to carry it?

Any help would be appreciated.
WotC pulled all pdfs of theirs, blaming pirates, good luck finding a copy :(

GnomesofZurich

Validated User
WotC pulled all pdfs of theirs, blaming pirates, good luck finding a copy :(
That was kind of what I thought had happened, sadly. :( I'm more interested in the setting material/fluff from the book than the actual Chainmail rules.

It's too bad that Wizards way of dealing with pirates is stopping selling any pdfs. I may try contacting them to see if there is some way of getting a hold of a copy, but I am not optimistic that they will respond in the positive.

At any rate, thanks for the help!

Jiawen

漂浮少女
Validated User
Are you talking about some updated version of the game? Because I saw a copy of the original game (or perhaps a mid-80s TSR reprint) at the Source a couple weeks ago.

Top Bottom