• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[chainmail] dead tree version?

Allandaros

Validated Parking
Validated User
They're talking about the Chainmail minis game released around the time of 3.0, not the original OD&D precursor.

(Also, wow! I had no idea TSR did a reprint, and now would totally love to check out that version. Except that it's in far-away Minnesota. :( )

Jiawen

漂浮少女
Validated User
(Also, wow! I had no idea TSR did a reprint, and now would totally love to check out that version. Except that it's in far-away Minnesota. :( )
From what I remember, it really is just a reprint. Almost exactly the same as the original, save for a different printing date. According to Wikipedia, TSR reprinted it "as late as 1979".

If you really wanted to see it, we could work something out... :)

Kaiju Stew

Big gay metal geek.
Validated User
Oddly enough I just picked up the starter box today at my not so local FLGS.

Where the hell do I get the stats for the minis that didn't come in the box?

The game looks pretty nice, and though I'm knee deep in Warhammer, it's cool to have what looks like a serviceable skirmish game.

Jiawen

漂浮少女
Validated User
I looked at the copy the Source has. It says "3rd edition" on it, as well as the price tag: $65.00. Let me know if you want it that much. :)

GnomesofZurich

Validated User
Oddly enough I just picked up the starter box today at my not so local FLGS.

Where the hell do I get the stats for the minis that didn't come in the box?

The game looks pretty nice, and though I'm knee deep in Warhammer, it's cool to have what looks like a serviceable skirmish game.
Is that for the game which came out in 2002? I'm wondering if you would be willing to tell me how much of the rules books is, well, rules (I'm assuming a lot of it), and how much is game setting fluff, as I'm really more interested in the setting of Chainmail than the miniatures game itself. Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

Kaiju Stew

Big gay metal geek.
Validated User
On a cursory reading of the rulebook, there's very, very little setting material. There's a brief overview of the setting's main conflict, why everyone's fighting, and a paragraph or two for the six main factions, but that's all of four pages out of 79.

Also, NYTFLYR, thanks a bunch, that's precisely what I was looking for.

GnomesofZurich

Validated User
On a cursory reading of the rulebook, there's very, very little setting material. There's a brief overview of the setting's main conflict, why everyone's fighting, and a paragraph or two for the six main factions, but that's all of four pages out of 79.

Also, NYTFLYR, thanks a bunch, that's precisely what I was looking for.
Thanks very much for the reply!

Kaiju Stew

Big gay metal geek.
Validated User
I suspect that the Ghostwind Campaign booklet for Chainmail might have more setting material, since it's a campaign book. As I have yet to buy it, though, I don't know.

What little hints there are of the setting, though, it's kind of interesting, though I rather wish there were more than six factions out of the box.

Lazarus

Esoom G Noj
Validated User
I recently got a bunch of Chainmail figures from a guy on BGG, but no rules (and some stat cards for minis that weren't there, and some minis without stat cards) ... anyone have a WotC Chainmail rulebook they'd be willing to get rid of?

Laz

Top Bottom