Changing the dice in Cyberpunk 2020

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just kinda thinking out loud here to check my reasoning and see if I've missed something...

If I were to change the main resolution mechanic of CP2020 from stat + skill + 1d10 to stat + skill + d6 - d6 (á la Feng Shui or Babylon Project), can you think of anything that would have to be changed because of that besides simply lowering all target numbers by 5?

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
I'd never liked the swingyness of CP2020 and have long thought you could go stat + skill + 2d6 and not change anything.

Alban

Validated User
"Swingyness" happens primarily because you have chances of success between 30 and 70%, and rarely over 90% or under 10%, and not because of the dice you use.
With 1d6-1d6, you'll be more likely to have cases where chances of success are over 90% or under 10%, but cases where 0+ or 1+ will be required will still be very random.

Fuzion is a very close cousin to Cyberpunk's Interlock, which proposes to use 1d10 or 3d6 for task resolution, adding 5 to all difficulty thresholds in the second case, which you could borrow.

Last edited:

Winterland

Help, help. I am being repressed
Validated User
If I were to GM Cyberpunk I would change the d10 to 2d10 and just add 5 to all difficulties and thats about it.
So not so different from the 3d6 solution Fuzion itself proposes.

Max

RPGnet Member
Validated User
All true. I think the main reason I'm attracted to 1d6-1d6 is that it allows difficulty ratings to be measured on the exact same scale as character abilities, though, which makes things very easy to eyeball.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I like the Fuzion 3d6 method, but that's primarily because of the bell curve.

I... don't quite understand what the benefits of 1d6-1d6 would be.

kalil

Validated User
Just note that 1d6-1d6 is mathematically equivalent to 2d6-7 (not approximately, but exactly). So, 2d6 would give exactly the same result while being easier to roll and requiring less difficult adjustment (as someone suggested you probably don't need to change anything).

Max

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like the Fuzion 3d6 method, but that's primarily because of the bell curve.

I... don't quite understand what the benefits of 1d6-1d6 would be.
It's biased towards the center of the spread, but not as strongly as three or more dice. And it's centered on 0, allowing both difficulty and ability to be measured on the exact same numerical scale and thus removing one step from the process of setting target numbers.

Just note that 1d6-1d6 is mathematically equivalent to 2d6-7 (not approximately, but exactly). So, 2d6 would give exactly the same result while being easier to roll and requiring less difficult adjustment (as someone suggested you probably don't need to change anything).
It's also identical to rolling a positive die and a negative die and only counting whichever comes up closer to 0 (doubles count as 0), like Babylon Project does.

torbenm

Validated User
Replacing a d10 with 2d6 will increase the average by 1.5, as 1d10 has average 5.5 and 2d6 has average 7. Using d4+d6 is closer, as the average is 6 and the maximum is 10, as with a single d10.

Top Bottom