• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Chuubo/Horizon] The Unbearable Legacies of Forsyth

Brontes

Validated User
Samuel Titov

The servants, for now, do as they are told. Anfisa may bristle, but the others are still have not fully processed what the current order is or should be. They settle, for now, with keeping up appearances. No doubt some of them will plot and organize come morning.

This much they know: They are still bound up in the terms and contracts that Samuel Titov and Dougal Forsyth enacted upon them, bound to serve until terms are met, contracts violated, or the money runs out.

They must still serve. Samuel alone is free, and even more a potential inheritor of the estate, free to make demands as any master may.

What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse said:
But his place is no longer among those of the manor staff. An inheritor demands, not instructs, not tasks, not schedules. Yet despite being out of a job he works himself to exhaustion, taking charge as if he still has a place in Forsyth's old order.

The arrogance.
As he makes his way down the hall, the light flickers and the painting on the right wall changes to a pale, black haired man in vaguely Russian Orthodox garb with a watch in his hand. Bloodshot eyes stare down at Samuel Titov with a barely contained rage.

What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse said:
Forsyth can no longer protect him.
And then the lights flicker again and the painting is normal: a portrait of Dougal's great-grandfather and the first Forsyth of the manor.

JohnStargazer

Validated User
Grendel Forsyth, the Creature
Awww! XP
WP 8/8 MP 7/7

Grendel Forsyth stands in one of the smaller yet still spacious rooms of the Manor, looking at the dresser he has no clothing to store within, the vanity he has no hygiene products to apply at, the soft linens of a bed large enough to envelop even his great misshapen frame, and a growl slips past his sneering lips.

Asking for a room was a mistake. He should have stayed in the basement, the safe and familiar basement, in the dark and the filth where he belonged. This was not for him. He cannot even imagine the version of himself who would be comfortable here.

He looks at the mask, contemplating it briefly as he had considered the room, and chides it gently. "You could have spoken up, you know. Reminded me that I'm not used to such luxury, warned me against the error I was about to commit."

Still, he'd made his decision when asked, and to rescind it now would be a form of weakness he'd never allow himself. Nothing for it but to work with what he had...

And with that, Grendel begins dragging the furniture and bedding into one corner of the room, behind where the door would be when opened, to craft a makeshift rudimentary nest.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Samuel Titov, the Butler
Shiver of Terror XP | 8/8 Will, 5/5 MP, 3/3 Miraculous Will

Samuel turns to look at the portrait. He feels his teeth clenching into a grimace as he considers it - or rather, what it held. "We will see who needs protection from whom," he mutters under his breath, as his fingers make a half-forgotten symbol of warding against the Thing Beneath the Shrine. But this is the only response. Within a moment, his face is calm and placid once again. If something roils beneath, plotting terrible revenge or gibbering in fear or both, well... who would dare to look?

Several minutes later, there is a polite knock on Fingal Foursyth's door. "Master Fingal," Samuel says, as serene and composed as if the events of a few minutes ago didn't occur. "I hope that your rooms are to your specifications."

OOC: Using my Titov magic for my favorite Obstacle 0 technique - "Appear stable and calm while experiencing a psychotic episode." Will 2 + Titov Magic 2 + "I Must Honour My Responsibilities 1" gives me a nice Intention 5 to be perfectly calm regardless of what terrors pursue me. Well... to seem calm, at least.

Fluorite

Sparkly and salty
Validated User
Fingal Forsyth, the Admiral
Speechlessness XP
8/8 Will, 3/3 Miraculous Will, 5/5 MP

Fingal opens the door. “Ah, Samuel! Yes, the old room is fine as she’s ever been.” He goes back to digging through the gifts he brought. ”Everything’s just as I had it before. I might bring in a hammock if I’m here for more than a couple weeks, but for now this will do.”

Fingal pulls a hand out of his bag to gesture at Samuel. “But what about you, son? I thought you’d been released from duty! Why are you still butlering? At sea, when someone was let off, that was that!”

OOC: That’s an XP for my Basic Quest! Fingal sees nothing wrong with Samuel, and is trying to build to a Shared Reaction. Do you think that would work?

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Samuel Titov, the Butler
Shiver of Terror XP | 6/8 Will, 5/5 MP

OOC: It makes sense to me! And I think I can be roped into a Shared Reaction about the situation.

Samuel considers Fingal's words for a silent moment, then smiles. "I suppose that it is only that I have never been to sea, then," he says. "I may have been released, but I have not been replaced. Until such time as a new butler is chosen, it would be the height of irresponsibility to abandon my duties. And a new butler will not be chosen until the Manor has a new master, which leaves me in an awkward position."

He steps into the room, taking a look around more out of habit than any belief that he'll find something wrong. If the Admiral says that everything is well, then everything is well. He does absently consider where in the room a hammock might be hung without damaging the wallpaper, while he continues to speak. "I suppose it dates back to the old days. There is much about my life with the Titovs that I have chosen not to live by. But there was one overriding truth we all learned, one that I think we shared with all of the shrine families. You do not abandon your duties if there is no one to take them up. Back in the Shrine, to do so would allow... well, nothing worthwhile. My father beat that into me quite efficiently. Here at the Manor, though..." He trails off, and turns to look at the Admiral. He smiles again, wryly. "Truthfully, Master Fingal, I think that to have no one in the position would be nearly as dangerous here as it would be in the Shrine."

OOC: Talking about my life as a Titov for 1 XP to my side quest, and joining Fingal if he wants to reach the Shared Reaction.

Brontes

Validated User
Jordan Kanda

In the guest hall lies a single room, indistinguishable from its neighbors save now it holds one Jordan Kanda, special inheritor.

Outside his door arrives a curious redheaded girl dressed as one might were they a footman. There is a nervousness to her manner that lasts only so long until she is seen and then she is as steeled as one would expect of her profession.

She is pushing around one of those portable bookcases. Its contents no doubt are the special inheritance specifically entrusted to Jordan's care. Three of them take up considerable space on the top shelf, but no doubt any of the books would contain something of interest.

"Is this Jordan Kanda?" the girl knocks at the door, "Your inheritance has been delivered to you."

Grendel Forsyth

"You've just received it, and already you speak as if it is a part of you."

A shadow crosses underneath the space of the door and into the room proper, it fades a bit in the lighting but it sits there in defiance of all reason for shadows to work.

Were he to open the door, Grendel would first find a crimson owl looking back at him, only to blink and see a woman in a crimson owl mask instead. She is tall and spry, but she must be at least 50, with short grey hair that was probably once black as night. She wears a crimson vest, bare-shouldered, exposing wiry arms. Her left hand holds onto a cane, but were he to blink again, a sword in its scabbard is planted on the floor.

Grendel would know her as Scarlett Dunn, but that is about all he would know. Much of her history is before his time, much of her activities are outside the manor. Still , when she deigns to eat in the dining hall with others she talks of organizing plays and operas, magic shows and circuses, and all manner of community events and concerns with those who have the patience for it. She is in good company with Porter & Tannic for this reason.

"Or maybe that's not it, exactly," she traces her finger along the rim of her mask, "Not a part of you but apart from you. Something you must externalize and give voice to your thoughts, perhaps? Still you seem quite taken with it for something you have only just received."

Roger

Validated User
Jordan Kanda

A brief knock on the door of Fingal's room.

"Uhhh, hello, Mr. Titov?" Jordan Kanda stands at the door. "Sorry to interrupt, but there isn't ever really a good time for this." He nods in sort of a vague way towards the admiral.

"Among the books I've inherited is this," Jordan says as he holds up a thin dense book. "I've tried reading a few parts of it but it resists all my attempts to penetrate it, and leaves me with just a headache."

"But I have taken note that it is titled Hymns Of Bondage, Human and Otherwise, and the author is listed as one Ahasuerus Titov, and I thought to myself: perhaps that butler knows something of this? And so now I've come to you."

(I consider this as the XP Action: risk trouble by digging into somebody's secrets)

Cheers,
Roger

Fluorite

Sparkly and salty
Validated User
Speechlessness XP
8/8 Will, 3/3 Miraculous Will, 5/5 MP

“Avast!” Fingal leaps to the door. “We were about to have a moment, lad! Can't asking people about their family secrets wait for one night? You just got here!”

OOC: Welp, that scuttles my plans for just a Shared Reaction with Samuel. You want to build to an XP Action with both of the other PCs in this scene, R Roger ? If not, I can have Fingal clear out and bug someone else.

Roger

Validated User
OOC: Oh, this thing with Jordan can wait. Carry on with what you're carrying on with and let me know when it'd be amusing for me to barge in.

Fluorite

Sparkly and salty
Validated User
OOC: Ok then, I’ll do a flurry of action. (I think that’s what this is called in Chuubo’s?) This post comes just before Jordan shows up. If Friv wants he can respond to it; otherwise, it’s the last post I wanted to get in before Jordan enters the scene.

Speechlessness XP
7/8 Will, 3/3 Miraculous Will, 5/5 MP

Samuel considers Fingal's words for a silent moment, then smiles. "I suppose that it is only that I have never been to sea, then," he says. "I may have been released, but I have not been replaced. Until such time as a new butler is chosen, it would be the height of irresponsibility to abandon my duties. And a new butler will not be chosen until the Manor has a new master, which leaves me in an awkward position."

"I suppose it dates back to the old days. There is much about my life with the Titovs that I have chosen not to live by. But there was one overriding truth we all learned, one that I think we shared with all of the shrine families. You do not abandon your duties if there is no one to take them up. Back in the Shrine, to do so would allow... well, nothing worthwhile. My father beat that into me quite efficiently. Here at the Manor, though..." He trails off, and turns to look at the Admiral. He smiles again, wryly. "Truthfully, Master Fingal, I think that to have no one in the position would be nearly as dangerous here as it would be in the Shrine."
Fingal rubs his chin with one hand. “S'pose you’ve got a point there, Samuel. Why, you’d know better than any of us how dangerous some of the staff can be! And now... well, Dougal’s death has left everything in such a blasted delicate state that we can’t afford any extra trouble.” He gives Samuel an approving nod.” In that case, I think you're doing the right thing. Just don't forget to put some thought towards what you'll do with yourself afterwards. You always struck me as a dedicated sort, so be careful what you dedicate yourself to next, you hear?”

There are a couple seconds of silence soon broken by an "AHA!" from Fingal. He holds a small bag of Kenyan coffee up triumphantly. "Here it is! A little something I brought back for you as a fellow coffee lover." He stands and holds it out to Samuel. "This stuff's robust, but the taste is complex enough that it should interest your palate."

OOC: I'll spend a Will and use Surprisingly Cultured 1 to impress Samuel a bit with the gift and/or coffee knowledge—a level 2 Intention should be just about enough. This should seal in the Shared Reaction. A nice little bonding moment.

Top Bottom