Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
The Kickstarter has begun!

For those of you who don't know, Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine is the latest game by Jenna Moran, author of RPG classics such as Nobilis, Weapons of the Gods, and contributor to Exalted's Games of Divinity and Exalted: the Sidereals. It's a pastoral adventure game that spins off from the mortals rules for Nobilis, to create a laid-back fantasy series with a structure similar to games like Persona 4 or shows like Kamichu!, while scaling up to the high adventure and mysticism of something like Revolutionary Girl Utena.

This Kickstarter will scale up to include the hardcover Chuubo core, the first setting book, Fortitude: By the Docks of Big Lake, and the first campaign, The Glass-Maker's Dragon.

I don't want to exaggerate or anything, but The Glass-Maker's Dragon is the best thing Jenna Moran ever wrote.

You can check out the previous spoiler thread, and Jenna and the other playtesters and I will be on tap to answer your questions about the game. Please consider making Town your new home!

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine is the most fun I've ever had running a game. I can't wait for everyone else here to get a chance to see how awesome the setting, the rules and the signature characters are.

Wishes will come true.

I am so excited for this that I don't even know how to end this sentence

I absolutely love Nobilis, even though I have never had the chance to play it, and everything I hear about Chuubo makes me think it might be even better. I haven't been following the spoilers as closely as I could, but now that the Kickstarter is up, I can't wait to see more.

Jenna Moran

Validated User
I am so excited for this that I don't even know how to end this sentence

I absolutely love Nobilis, even though I have never had the chance to play it, and everything I hear about Chuubo makes me think it might be even better. I haven't been following the spoilers as closely as I could, but now that the Kickstarter is up, I can't wait to see more.
Thank you for your kind words. ^_^

I do think Chuubo's is a technically superior game! Though Nobilis is still better for cosmic stuff, real-world-based stuff, and ontological debate. (Which is more fun as an element of gaming than some might imagine.)

Best wishes,

Jenna

ADamiani

Will GM For Food
Validated User
The Kickstarter has begun!

For those of you who don't know, Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine is the latest game by Jenna Moran, author of RPG classics such as Nobilis, Weapons of the Gods, and contributor to Exalted's Games of Divinity and Exalted: the Sidereals. It's a pastoral adventure game that spins off from the mortals rules for Nobilis, to create a laid-back fantasy series with a structure similar to games like Persona 4 or shows like Kamichu!, while scaling up to the high adventure and mysticism of something like Revolutionary Girl Utena.

This Kickstarter will scale up to include the hardcover Chuubo core, the first setting book, Fortitude: By the Docks of Big Lake, and the first campaign, The Glass-Maker's Dragon.

I don't want to exaggerate or anything, but The Glass-Maker's Dragon is the best thing Jenna Moran ever wrote.
Better than her adventure in Aberrant Worldwide: Phase I?!

It will be really, really tragic if this doesn't get to $80k. Though-- so far, so good!

Thank you for your kind words. ^_^

I do think Chuubo's is a technically superior game! Though Nobilis is still better for cosmic stuff, real-world-based stuff, and ontological debate. (Which is more fun as an element of gaming than some might imagine.)

Best wishes,

Jenna
It feels a bit odd to say this, but I'm glad to hear that. As much as I'm looking forward to Chuubo, I was a little worried that it would make Nobilis feel a bit obsolete, and I didn't want that to happen - I want to play both! And maybe I'll get to one of these days, if I can ever get my friends to sit down and read the darn things.

Anyway. I don't have much money to contribute myself, but I hope this Kickstarter does well. And if I win the lottery*, you'll be the first to know.

*This is not actually likely to happen.

Last edited:

Roadie

octo-darling
Validated User
A question for Jenna Moran, or anyone else who's been paying attention to this Chuubo business more than me, and I will put this out there frankly because I can't think of a way to phrase it that doesn't have me sounding like an ass anyway:

Will the book have the same degree of inconsistent and/or terrible art found in Nobilis 3e?

I like the text of that book, but all the random pieces of art that seemed middling quality at best and/or just nonsensical-in-a-bad-way (e.g. the page with Lord Entropy as a little kid trying to steal candy, hitting both the "huh?" and "this feels low-quality" buttons at once) felt like a serious flaw in the book as a whole.

Given that, I'd prefer to know the situation with the art in this book, or at least a straightforward assessment of what it will probably be, before I look at making a pledge.

Jenna Moran

Validated User
It feels a bit odd to say this, but I'm glad to hear that. As much as I'm looking forward to Chuubo, I was a little worried that it would make Nobilis feel a bit obsolete, and I didn't want that to happen - I want to play both! And maybe I'll get to one of these days, if I can ever get my friends to sit down and read the darn things.

Anyway. I don't have much money to contribute myself, but I hope this Kickstarter does well. And if I win the lottery*, you'll be the first to know.

*This is not actually likely to happen.
Nobilis will be improved by this. There are some parts of the Chuubo's rules that will stay tucked away in the Chuubo's game system, but others---

Well, one reason I stopped doing Nobilis stuff for a while is that I wanted to finish this first.

A question for Jenna Moran, or anyone else who's been paying attention to this Chuubo business more than me, and I will put this out there frankly because I can't think of a way to phrase it that doesn't have me sounding like an ass anyway:

Will the book have the same degree of inconsistent and/or terrible art found in Nobilis 3e?

I like the text of that book, but all the random pieces of art that seemed middling quality at best and/or just nonsensical-in-a-bad-way (e.g. the page with Lord Entropy as a little kid trying to steal candy, hitting both the "huh?" and "this feels low-quality" buttons at once) felt like a serious flaw in the book as a whole.

Given that, I'd prefer to know the situation with the art in this book, or at least a straightforward assessment of what it will probably be, before I look at making a pledge.
If it funds at $25,000, all you get is that I've learned from my mistakes. I put together Nobilis: Antithesis myself with a tiny fraction of the art budget Nobilis had*; you'll get that, plus whatever I've learned from then about layout and art direction, plus a conscious shift towards fewer pieces of higher-quality if I can get a layout and backgrounds that work that way.

If it funds at $40,000, you'll be getting high-end layout and art direction by Studio Shadow, and the only thing at all reminiscent of the Nobilis look will be that you may see 5-8 total pieces by artists that I decided were keepers for which you might disagree.

If it funds in between---

Well, here's how Nobilis art worked. I came to China, was given reason to expect that we could pull in a ton of quality art pieces easily and cheaply in an anime style, so I built a book with an expectation of taking full advantage of that. This turned out not to be the case; in fact, it was absurdly expensive and difficult to find what we did. By the time we found layout we were already partly committed to that pattern, and the best I could do was what you see---aggravated by losing dozens of pieces at the last minute after discovering that the reason one of our artists seemed completely impermeable to my explanations wasn't because of the language barrier but for less pleasant reasons.

I've learned a lot from all this, and I can avoid many of the mistakes I made ("never get rushed into securing non-generic art before the layout is ready," "avoid getting rushed at all," "don't assume that if you have a book of 100+ awesome local artists who are looking for work that you can find more than two," "don't slot for small pieces unless you can get a discount for them,") and I'd honestly really like to try a more austere layout while I've got the chance to even though Chuubo's is if anything a less austere game.

But there we are!

which one did she write anyway?
I wrote the Fireman's election thingie. I'm pretty sure. It was a really long time ago but it's what I remember.

Best wishes,

Jenna
* Charles Spaulding did an amazing job helping me with Antithesis layout and deserves all the props for that; and obviously I drew heavily on the Nobilis layout for inspiration; and I'd be hiring professional layout regardless; but for design and art direction purposes Antithesis is still a good way to track what I've learned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom