Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine - Kickstarter thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heehee.

I was really happy to see that going up on kickstarter and doing well---similar enough to help build the market, different enough to not be a direct competitor, and quite possibly the sign that I'm towards the front of a wave. ^_^

Best wishes,

Jenna
I, for one, am all pleased with the increase in feel-good RPGs.

Valtiel

The most dangerous mistress
Validated User
Oh, hey, I can use this to run Spirited Away or Revolutionary Girl Utena. Sold.

Speaking of which, anyone else think that Akio is obviously a Deceiver?

Last edited:

Jenna Moran

Validated User
The Lovers of Akio Ohtori...
...Love Akio Ohtori.
...Can achieve anything through their passion.
...Are blinded by their desire.
...Are utterly doomed.
Haha. That's definitely a good set of Properties.

I think whether he's a Deceiver or Strategist in Nobilis terms depends on what you think the End of the World is. If it's part of the Lands Beyond then it is in fact very viable that he's a Strategist. Possibly dying of excessive clothing and vehicular safety, given what we see of his impending returns to Creation!

Jenna Moran

Validated User
Hmm. You make a good argument.

Anthy then would be a mimic, which works surprisingly well.
Incidentally:

At some point I noticed that when I started finding Nobilis matches to casts that are dear to my heart---to Utena's cast, to Hitherby Dragons', etc.---I would find a lot of mixed Excrucian groups, and sometimes there'd be Imperators and Powers seasoned in.

This insight played a role in the design of Chuubo's!

Best wishes,

Jenna

phatonin

Chaos is a bladder
Validated User
I must be getting old, almost everything you said there, went right over my head
I'm relieved, I'm not the only one. I never played Nobilis or anything written by Jenna Moran. So yeah when I read the thread, I was like :confused:

Fortunately, the KS page is really well written, and mentions more... uhm, older references that explain the game well:

Jenna Moran said:
It’s a game in the spirit of Miyazaki films like Laputa, anime like Princess Tutu, and Western works like Adventure Time and Friendship is Magic — a game of heroic innocents growing up against a backdrop of strange events and haunting landscapes.
I must say it hooked me, though I think this kind of thing would bore my playing group :p I'll keep an eye on this and hope we can emulate less childish* moods. In fact I figured it would be perfect for classical mythology stories or fairy tales.

Jenna Moran [Mechanical Concepts] said:
The Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine RPG is built around the following core mechanical ideas:
  • XP-giving actions answer questions like “What do I do here/now?”
  • Escalating "Issues" organize these into longer-term dramatic movements in a character’s story; and
  • "Quests" mechanically structure activities—anything from scientific research to raising a child—in a form that provides both character advancement and dramatic pacing, giving you both new XP-earning options and a place to spend the stuff.
I got a DitV vibe.

* not in pejorative sense

Last edited:

Valtiel

The most dangerous mistress
Validated User
Hey, I just realised that there is a Strategist in Revolutionary Girl Utena: Mikage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom