Chuubo's Thread 5: "Glass-Maker's Dragon PDF Now on Sale!"

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Re: Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine Thread 5: "You have a home in Fortitude"

Now I want to make Principal Entropy's next garden "Christmas in Fortitude" even more than I already did.

QueenThera

Discordian
Validated User
Re: Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine Thread 5: "You have a home in Fortitude"

I'm just imagining this group of old nobles in Town who used to preside over various Holidays before coming to Town, but that aren't very big anymore because Town does its own thing. Just chatting about the good old days, and such.
I've pictured something similar: a Council of Immortals, gathered from various worlds, discussing the end of the world as we know it, and its potential beginning. ...only, um, it features a lot of fictional characters, like The One Electronic from Rice Boy, Lord English from Homestuck, the Doctor, Princess Ozma and her bosom friend Dorothy, and Princess Twilight Sparkle. And hosting is Principal Entropy II and Jasper Irinka. It'd be mostly the successor generation to the old gods, sort of.

(If I had to pick someone to be the demiurge in charge of running the world, I'd prefer The One Electronic. He'd do the paperwork into the wee hours of the morning, smoking a cigarette and cracking wise the whole time. You can trust this machine!)

Last edited:

Eco-Mono

Validated User

I wonder if it was the above conversation that prompted my dream last night about Jade's death.

(Canon describes it as having looked like an eclipse in the Ordinary World, and an eclipse indeed occurred, but what I really remember was the fog. Even with light from other sources, it was a state of confusion where it was difficult to see what was going on around you or find your way.)

Last edited:

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User

Now I want to make Principal Entropy's next garden "Christmas in Fortitude" even more than I already did.
I think "the Holidays and Festivals of Fortitude" is a fine Garden. You can create spirits that break into people's houses during the night to teach them the true meaning of Pancake Day and everything!

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User

I think "the Holidays and Festivals of Fortitude" is a fine Garden. You can create spirits that break into people's houses during the night to teach them the true meaning of Pancake Day and everything!
SKycroft, I know you're reading this! THIS IS MY NEW PLAN!

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User

Been working on a "Vampire Magic" Magical Skill today. Let me know what you think. Oh and let me know if I forgot some obvious vampire magic tricks (that aren't already covered by being a super fast, super strong vampire.

Vampire Magic

Most vampires are content to rely on their supernatural strength, speed, and “vampire”-ness to get by

The first four techniques are technically available to all characters. They don’t require magic or vampirism or any sort of unnatural connection to the night. Characters like the Prodigy can learn these techniques on their own once they understand that they can be done; other characters can pick them up by studying the ways of vampires, spend decades reinventing them, or improvise something similar if it seems like it would be cool.

These non-magical techniques are:
  • [Obstacle 0] Make yourself seem predatory and intimidating;
  • [Obstacle 0] Know how long it is to sun up;
  • [Obstacle 1] Sharpen your hearing and eyesight in the dark; and
  • [Obstacle 1] Spot a vampire just by sight or smell.
There are three basic disciplines of vampire magic techniques. Vampire magicians often discuss rumored hidden disciplines known only to secret cabals, but, then, vampire magicians are a neurotic and somewhat paranoid bunch, as a rule. The basic disciplines of vampire magic (named in Latin because vampires are nothing if not overdramatic) are:
  • Bestia et Melodum, the Discipline of Beasts and Songs;
  • Tenebras et Terram, the Discipline of Shadows and Dust; and
  • Arcanum et Sussurus, the Discipline of Secrets and Whispers.
A typical Vampire magician learns one of these disciplines and has a +2 Obstacle penalty when using techniques from the others. All of these disciplines have access to the non-magical techniques.

Bestia et Melodum
  • [Obstacle 1] Give a simple command to a wolf, bat, or other night animal;
  • [Obstacle 1] Understand the speech of night animals;
  • [Obstacle 2] Summon several night animals;
  • [Obstacle 2] Sing a song to terrify any listener;
  • [Obstacle 3] Transform into a bat, flock of bats, wolf, or other night animal.
Tenebras et Terram
  • [Obstacle 1] Manipulate your shadow to make shapes and shadow puppets;
  • [Obstacle 2] Create a cold gust of wind;
  • [Obstacle 2] Fill a room or small house with shadows or mist;
  • [Obstacle 3] Turn into a shadow or a mist;
  • [Obstacle 3] Teleport between two shadows in the same Region.
Arcanum et Sussurus
  • [Obstacle 1] Enthrall someone with a stare;
  • [Obstacle 1] Appear to someone in dreams as a voice or image;
  • [Obstacle 2] Make someone feel an unnatural loyalty to you;
  • [Obstacle 2] Erase a few moments of memory from someone;
  • [Obstacle 3] Take full bodily possession of another person;
  • [Obstacle 3] Make yourself unseen and unnoticed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Vampire Bans
Everybody knows vampires are total neurotic weirdos, suffering from all sorts of compulsions, aversions, and weaknesses to common household objects. While not all vampires are affected by garlic or required to count spilled bowls of rice (at least not as more than minor discomforts or annoyances) tapping into your vampiric side to work magic can have unintended side effects. Common vampiric bonds include:
  • Bond: Crosses and holy water repel me.
  • Bond: I can’t cross running water
  • Bond: Garlic makes me black out
  • Bond: I can’t work my magic in direct sunlight.
  • Bond: I can’t do anything in direct sunlight.
  • Bond: My magic is fueled by blood
  • Bond: I must spend one day a week buried in my own grave dirt
  • Bond: I am driven to count any objects or grains of rice dropped in front of me
  • Bond: I can’t help it, I have to untie any knot someone puts in front of me
  • Bond: Every vampire myth is true! Every one! Even the ones you just made up!:

Last edited:

AsgarZigel

Has Gone Matchmaker Mad
Validated User

Looks great!

You forgot the "I cannot enter a home uninvited." Bond, though!

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User

SKycroft, I know you're reading this! THIS IS MY NEW PLAN!
I'll admit that abstract Gardens seem a little wonkier to me than, say, abstract Estates.

Most of Keeper of Garden's powers work fine with abstract Gardens (barring the Great Magic, which doesn't work at all), but how does The World, Like Clay work? Can you manipulate everything in Fortitude, but only during festivals; manipulate festival-like things; or manipulate festival-ness itself the way someone with Spiritual (the happiness of celebrations) might with Spirit-Shaper (except as a mundane action instead of a miracle)?

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User

While the Great Magic poses problems for many abstract Gardens, I don't think it's much of a problem for Holidays/Festivals. Some festivals already alter Fortitude's region properties (See the Star Festival.) so it just means that there's a region property that only comes up when there's some sort of holiday on.

Last edited:

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User

I'll admit that abstract Gardens seem a little wonkier to me than, say, abstract Estates.

Most of Keeper of Garden's powers work fine with abstract Gardens (barring the Great Magic, which doesn't work at all), but how does The World, Like Clay work? Can you manipulate everything in Fortitude, but only during festivals; manipulate festival-like things; or manipulate festival-ness itself the way someone with Spiritual (the happiness of celebrations) might with Spirit-Shaper (except as a mundane action instead of a miracle)?
If we posit the existence of Holiday realms (Halloweentown, Easterland, Pancakeday Village, it makes things easier. In that case, though, an overall "Holidays" Garden is probably too broad.

If probably go with The World, Like Clay affecting holiday iconography most of the time with much more impressive powers during the actual holiday as Fortitude becomes a piece of holiday accouterment.

On August 15th Father Christmas faces of against a mad grinchling. Thinking fast, he throws a ball of tangle tinsel at him and dives through the window of the nearby Hayashi candy shop. There is a crash from inside and then, as the smoke clears, he stands armed, wielding two candy cane swords.

"Ho. Ho. Ho."

Last edited:
Top Bottom