• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Chuubo's Thread 5: "Glass-Maker's Dragon PDF Now on Sale!"

Yuki Akuma

So I was rereading the rules on Wounds in preparation for a PbP game I'm joining and I kinda noticed something.

Okay so you know how you only take Wounds if you choose to, and can totally just let bad stuff happen to your character if you want - and also how you only stop being a PC when you lose all of your Health Levels? So... does that mean you can just... accept dying, and still be a PC somehow?

Like let's say you're on a miraculous Shepherd arc, and your baby son is one of your Treasures and protected by your Wounds. An evil wizard comes to your house, kills your husband, then kills you, and then he aims for your baby...

And you're all "Nu-uh! I take a Deadly Wound! My Wound Power is 'Redirect the Killing Curse' and as my reaction shot I redirect it right at the evil wizard!"

And then the evil wizard is defeated by a baby.

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User
So I was rereading the rules on Wounds in preparation for a PbP game I'm joining and I kinda noticed something.

Okay so you know how you only take Wounds if you choose to, and can totally just let bad stuff happen to your character if you want - and also how you only stop being a PC when you lose all of your Health Levels? So... does that mean you can just... accept dying, and still be a PC somehow?

Like let's say you're on a miraculous Shepherd arc, and your baby son is one of your Treasures and protected by your Wounds. An evil wizard comes to your house, kills your husband, then kills you, and then he aims for your baby...

And you're all "Nu-uh! I take a Deadly Wound! My Wound Power is 'Redirect the Killing Curse' and as my reaction shot I redirect it right at the evil wizard!"

Yup, that's totally possible. Not necessarily all that fun to play in the long run if you don't come back as a ghost or zombie or something, but it's totally possible. I once did a high-Treasure Deceiver with no physical form in the present who acted purely through her Anchors and pstate-imposed flashbacks.

Gamerngeek

Validated User
It's been 20 days since Jenna got her proof...any news on us finally being able to buy this thing physically yet?

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's been 20 days since Jenna got her proof...any news on us finally being able to buy this thing physically yet?
Seriously, dude?

Two weeks ago, Jenna said that she had the proof, but needed a week in which she wasn't sick or injured to be able to proof it. Which was in this thread, on this page. What news do you expect?

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
Bring dead doesn’t really stop you from playing your character unless you're Defeated. Being a ghost just means a crazy new adventure and weird powers, good cause for an Emptiness Arc. There are as many ways to keep acting as there are charaters. Maybe you time travel. Maybe you have a clone decanted. Maybe your powers let you act through intermediaries or manipulate events remotely.

Having run a long Nobilis game that saw a bunch of Wounds, most people take them and they usually help you out. Having Deadly Wound "Killed by a curse" might give Obstacles to doing things but they too can be overcome, particularly with Bonds. In the end it probably just ends up giving you cool powers.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User

As a reminder, while being dead is often Obstacle 4 to mundane tasks, it's not to miracles. So your Sentimental character can still advise her loved ones and use their powers as easily as when alive. (In Nobilis, where the wound system comes from the equivalent of Sentimental was much stronger and you could possess your Treasures, meaning that the destruction of your body was often a nuisance that took an action to compensate for rather than a need to actually take a Wound.)

Also, even without immortality, a lot of characters have ways to not care about dying. For example, if Become Somebody Seizhi isn't sure whether his milk has expired yet, and wants to be safe, he can find someone, spend a few days talking to them and using Commanding Aura on them, and then they become Seizhi too. One of them can drink the milk, and if he keels over, the player just declares he's controlling the real one who's still alive.

cadaeic

Excrucian Apologist
Validated User

And when the evil wizard infiltrates the wizard school your son is going to and is trying to wrestle your son for the Philosopher's Stone, your Shepherd's Blessing activates and burns said evil wizard with the power of love!

Top Bottom