• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Chuubo's Thread 5: "Glass-Maker's Dragon PDF Now on Sale!"

Jenna Moran

Validated User
As noted on tumblr:

• On 7/23, I uploaded the current GMD interior to DriveThru.
  • it passed premedia processing on 7/26, and I ordered a copy. It shipped on 7/31.
  • it passed premedia processing again on 8/1?
  • the proof got here 8/18.
  • I've finished reviewing it.
  • I've decided it works.
  • I've ordered a proof of the premium version, and---because that 8/1 thing concerns me---a new proof of the standard edition.
  • I'd guess they'll get here around the end of the month.
  • Review should only take a couple of days, because I don't have to read each page looking for things that I or InDesign might have screwed up---I just have to check for weird printing stuff and make sure I didn't screw up the premium version cover.

Best wishes,

Jenna

Gamerngeek

Validated User
As noted on tumblr:

• On 7/23, I uploaded the current GMD interior to DriveThru.
  • it passed premedia processing on 7/26, and I ordered a copy. It shipped on 7/31.
  • it passed premedia processing again on 8/1?
  • the proof got here 8/18.
  • I've finished reviewing it.
  • I've decided it works.
  • I've ordered a proof of the premium version, and---because that 8/1 thing concerns me---a new proof of the standard edition.
  • I'd guess they'll get here around the end of the month.
  • Review should only take a couple of days, because I don't have to read each page looking for things that I or InDesign might have screwed up---I just have to check for weird printing stuff and make sure I didn't screw up the premium version cover.

Best wishes,

Jenna

Thank you very much for the updates and all your hard work!

I'm making a character, and I've run into a question about special character types versus magic.

The character is a half-demon butler who hasn't really embraced his heritage, but if he tries really hard can do some demony things. Normally he's just this kind of unpleasant guy who is surprisingly good at making a bed, but if he really tries to, he can secret away small items, or make a bed decadently easy.

I kind of want to represent this as Half-Demon 0 (because it's a thing he hasn't developed at all), with access to Demon Magic. But since Demon Magic is kind of just a part of his nature he isn't good at, should it just be Half-Demon 1, with Demon Powers -1?

Oh, and I'm using a Mortal character for this, since he's mostly just a half-demon butler doing stuff, not becoming The Legendary Half-Demon Butler.

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User
I'm making a character, and I've run into a question about special character types versus magic.

The character is a half-demon butler who hasn't really embraced his heritage, but if he tries really hard can do some demony things. Normally he's just this kind of unpleasant guy who is surprisingly good at making a bed, but if he really tries to, he can secret away small items, or make a bed decadently easy.

I kind of want to represent this as Half-Demon 0 (because it's a thing he hasn't developed at all), with access to Demon Magic. But since Demon Magic is kind of just a part of his nature he isn't good at, should it just be Half-Demon 1, with Demon Powers -1?

Oh, and I'm using a Mortal character for this, since he's mostly just a half-demon butler doing stuff, not becoming The Legendary Half-Demon Butler.
Depends on what you think Demon Powers represent.

If you want him to be theoretically capable of being super human, and hold that being a half-demon is on the whole something that makes your life more convenient than being a baseline human then Superior Half-Demon 0 would probably be appropriate. At zero ranks you're not actually much more capable than a human, but it makes a statement that if you had more ranks in this skill you would be noticeably more powerful than a human when engaging in contests in which being a half-demon helps.

On the other hand, if you think that being a half-demon gets you access to a lot of cool powers but, on the whole, makes your life more complicated and doesn't necessarily help you at living a more productive life than a human then "Demon Magic 1-2" might be more appropriate. That way you'll get access to a handful of magical techniques that are beyond what a non-magically inclined human can do, but they'll come with inherent Obstacles which will mean they won't necessarily get tasks accomplished in a way which accomplishes your greater goals. (Except where using ordinary skills would face a bigger Obstacle anyway.)

Depends on what you think Demon Powers represent.

If you want him to be theoretically capable of being super human, and hold that being a half-demon is on the whole something that makes your life more convenient than being a baseline human then Superior Half-Demon 0 would probably be appropriate. At zero ranks you're not actually much more capable than a human, but it makes a statement that if you had more ranks in this skill you would be noticeably more powerful than a human when engaging in contests in which being a half-demon helps.

On the other hand, if you think that being a half-demon gets you access to a lot of cool powers but, on the whole, makes your life more complicated and doesn't necessarily help you at living a more productive life than a human then "Demon Magic 1-2" might be more appropriate. That way you'll get access to a handful of magical techniques that are beyond what a non-magically inclined human can do, but they'll come with inherent Obstacles which will mean they won't necessarily get tasks accomplished in a way which accomplishes your greater goals. (Except where using ordinary skills would face a bigger Obstacle anyway.)
Hm. I'm a little worried I fall in between those options. A Superior skill seems way too dramatic for a peaceful supernatural inn story, but at the same time being a half-demon only causes more difficulties in this way because the character feels ambivalent about his abilities. But I'll play around with it a bit and see what works. Thank you for your help!

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User
Hm. I'm a little worried I fall in between those options. A Superior skill seems way too dramatic for a peaceful supernatural inn story, but at the same time being a half-demon only causes more difficulties in this way because the character feels ambivalent about his abilities. But I'll play around with it a bit and see what works. Thank you for your help!
If it's something where it's less about cool powers and more about how your character and others feel about it, how about a Bond? "Demon Blood Flows Through my Veins. (1)"

As a level 1 Bond it's only ever going to come up when you as a player think it should, to either give you a small bonus when it would help in a contest or against an obstacle, or be a source of Will/MP when it complicates your characters life.

It would be a bit like Entropy's Change-Blood in that respect (the Change-Blood is traditionally a 2 point Bond.) It can be used to mutate things, and it can be a terrible curse that marks Entropy out as the king of the Evil World, but mostly it's about how having constantly bleeding hands complicates or helps from time to time without having specific quantifiable powers.

Last edited:
If it's something where it's less about cool powers and more about how your character and others feel about it, how about a Bond? "Demon Blood Flows Through my Veins. (1)" As a level 1 Bond it's only ever going to come up when you as a player think it should, to either give you a small bonus when it would help in a contest or against an obstacle, or be a source of Will/MP when it complicates your characters life. It would be a bit like Entropy's Change-Blood in that respect (the Change-Blood is traditionally a 2 point Bond.) It can be used to mutate things, and it can be a terrible curse that marks Entropy out as the king of the Evil World, but mostly it's about how having constantly bleeding hands complicates or helps from time to time without having specific quantifiable powers.
I think I'm going to go with your suggestion of Superior 0, but a Bond makes a lot of sense for an incremental step towards increasing that 0 if/when the character gets around to it. That way we have a determination leading into a change in status, which I think fits my image of the character's progression better than the opposite (or each component on its own). Thank you for your advice!

Raz_Fox

Validated User
New fan here! I’m still working my way diligently through the Chuubo’s books from the Bundle of Holding, and I keep running across references to the Mysteries. Through cross-reference I’ve figured out they have something to do with the Abhorrent Weapons from Nobilis, and they’re the gods of the Rats of Fortitude (in much the same way as the Dunmer are Daedra-worshippers).

Is there a particular passage I haven’t found yet with more information on the Mysteries, or am I stuck waiting for the upcoming Rat Book to find out more about Typhon and her ilk?

Top Bottom