Chuubo's Thread 5: "Glass-Maker's Dragon PDF Now on Sale!"

Jenna Moran

Validated User
One of the many interesting philosophical dilemmas raised by Chuubo's is that it's set in a world which is, overall, a very pleasant place. Not an idyllic paradise, but there's nowhere in Town which is awful. And even in the heart of the Outside, the Bleak is representing by schools of learning.

This is a setting where the Excrucians, the big bads of Nobilis, have won.

Which is to say I am very much looking forward to a game that makes Strategists feel sympathetic.
^_^

They actually are awfully sympathetic, but there came a point where I realized that giving them a really good justification for being destructive struck the wrong tone for our times. So it's worth note that the protagonists are explicitly the tiny fraction of Strategists who aren't doing that any more. They haven't changed sides or anything. I mean, that's an option, it's always out there, but it's not the rule. Mostly, it's just ... they stopped.

There aren't that many, honestly, who manage even that.

The PCs will be a large fraction of the Strategists who've stopped on Earth.

Best wishes,

Jenna

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I tend to feel like the goals of the Excrucians feel a lot more sympathetic in Chuubo's, in large part because most of them are trying to achieve them through diplomacy or negotiation rather than warfare. It's like, "Oh, okay, you're trying to abolish suffering by convincing people to stop existing, I can understand that."

Generally saying "I will help you if it kills you" doesn't work out well. The best you can do is, "I will stop you from hurting me."

Extinction Burp

Sourpuss
Validated User
So I'm curious: Is the overall goal of the next Nobilis (4th in it's name!) to make it more like Chuubo's? Because I admit I'm ambivalent about that. I'd like to actually PLAY a game of chuubo's at one point, so I can get a feel for how it all actually clicks together, because simply reading it doesn't do that for me. But on the other hand...I get the feeling that once I wrapped my poor widdle brain around Chuubo's, I might actually like the looser feel to character creation, and maybe get more variety out of the Nobilis I can create.

Extinction Burp

Sourpuss
Validated User
I already wrote that; it's called the Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine RPG.

Best wishes,

Jenna
Ah, well: This leads me to the question I should have asked, which is, "What modifications/changes are you looking to make for NOBILIS: THE FOURTH OF ITS NAME?" Because to be honest, I'm not sure what needs to be changed...:confused:

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
From the Nobilis Thread, a post about a year ago:

Look to the media I am consuming in bulk at the months before I write it.

Best wishes,

Jenna
or possibly I will just spin my giant wheel of aesthetics and ... OK, it lands on "mermaid noir"
So I personally am looking forward to what crime boss narwhal Entropy is like.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So there are some new thoughts on Arc assignments on Jenna's tumblr. (She's been posting a lot about nose fairies and the imprisonment of Xiyue Wang recently, which are interesting but not on topic for this thread, unless you want to stat up nose fairies. I'm guessing some sort of Creature of Delirium with an Affllction relating to the word "gesundheit.")

A couple of my thoughts:
1) Knave of Hearts is being replaced by/renamed Star Quality. It reminds me of the song in Evita, which I assume is .deliberate. I can see someone with the arc dragging people into a musical about their story.

2) Since Mimics are supposed to be able to pass for seven other types of characters -- Angel, Devil, Magister of the Wild, Light, Dark, or Serpents, and Divine Imperators -- I wonder how the do it with a set of arcs. Perhaps the "Costume" power in Troubled has undergone a very big change

Jenna Moran

Validated User
So there are some new thoughts on Arc assignments on Jenna's tumblr. (She's been posting a lot about nose fairies and the imprisonment of Xiyue Wang recently, which are interesting but not on topic for this thread, unless you want to stat up nose fairies. I'm guessing some sort of Creature of Delirium with an Affllction relating to the word "gesundheit.")

A couple of my thoughts:
1) Knave of Hearts is being replaced by/renamed Star Quality. It reminds me of the song in Evita, which I assume is .deliberate. I can see someone with the arc dragging people into a musical about their story.

2) Since Mimics are supposed to be able to pass for seven other types of characters -- Angel, Devil, Magister of the Wild, Light, Dark, or Serpents, and Divine Imperators -- I wonder how the do it with a set of arcs. Perhaps the "Costume" power in Troubled has undergone a very big change
I mean, ultimately, it's kind of hard to confirm whether someone is getting spotlit all the time because they actually have Creature of the Light, because they're faking it with Gatecrasher, because they're faking it with Wounded Angel, or because they have a spotlight crew? It's also a little hard to figure out for sure whether they're using the Auctoritas Magister, the Auctoritas from an Affliction, Gatecrasher's ability to counter effects ...

You could probably work out a "Mimics pretending to be X with stat arrangement Y give themselves away in miraculous combat because they're weaker than they look at doing Z1, Z2, and Z3, and can be baited into doing too much of Z4, Z5, and Z6 that they're actually better at than an X would be" kind of chart, but it would vary a lot by X and by Y.

That's, basically, the reasoning that held me back from giving them access to the ability sets they're copying; it made "sense" but they don't need it, and it would mean that if I ever do a Mimics book it would have to include all the rules for everything.

Best wishes,

Jenna

Maxen M

Somewhere off to the side
Validated User
I was thinking, both Warmains and Actuals seem unstable, and impresario is shared by them and by Magister of the Light, who is appropriately, incredibly well defined by now.

I was wondering whether it's possible to do something clever with defining powers for that arc, so that all those things the other two really need can be covered, even if Magisters normally go for like a normal version or something.

One snag here is that for the most part, arcs haven't been puzzle pieces of a Nobilis power set, but relatively coherent traits by themselves, so for example taking things out of Impresario that Magisters are getting from keeper of gardens might make the assignments work better, but is it really in keeping with the freeform way that chuubo's develops?

After staring at myself over a chessboard for a bit, I think that there are going to be a lot of overlaps between arcs, and if Impresario has less, for example, travel/appearance powers, and more weird environmental effect summoning, it could maybe fill a gap for light Magisters in terms of their domain, like if I make a Light Magister of trains, doughnuts and recommendations, then I think he can still drop imperial miracles according to his domains by making them abstract gardens, and obviously the very travel/summoning powers I just talked about depreciating are in the ballpark of being able to make trains lay new track and converge on your location, which if it specifically connects with the gaurdians/guides of keeper of gardens, strikes me as pretty effective way of representing them. I have this image of a Light Magister having staff, expressing their powers organisationally through conversation and orders in a border mythic kind of way, which blurs the distinctions between domain, treasure and social aspect already. Are they missing knowledge powers?

In the context of "here's what you'll do", it's absolutely perfect for both Warmains and Light Magisters to hit you with the necessity of what you should be doing, and I wonder if she starts with this ability to lay down commands, and the capacity to force dilemmas that may last for a scene or two, some of Mrs Senko's creature of delirium stuff represents a capacity to hold things, along the lines of extend the moment.. I imagine some kind of missing trait that allows you to metaphysically glue things, not that you force them to stay with you, but that you say that if you try to sneak out of class, either you'll fail, or you'll end up somehow bringing the class with you, like some kind of anti-Mary Poppins, who keeps turning weird adventures into field trips. I feel like this sense of "enforcing place" could gives you a sense of Kafka's trial, which reappears behind every wall, but also interact in interesting ways with a Light Magister's gardens, allowing people to be glued to them or spread them over a map like paint.

I also feel like "let me set down some ground rules" finger in the air, providing a small region property or affliction or something relating to their aesthetic, strikes me as fitting for a supervillain or a scientist or anyone else who expresses their otherness in formalised activities or the places that embody them. Something that allows Mrs. Senko to "control the class" without really controlling everything in aggregate, or for example setting the tone of the scene, by having these tokenistic or superficial rules that everyone accepts.

I remember once talking (maybe here somewhere?) about an imperator who forces everyone or everything to move like an old computer game, stepwise with no diagonal movement. It's weird, but it's something that you can to some extent just handle by appending "and while we are moving in straight steps..." implicitly to every action, only appearing, affliction style, when a miracle would supersede it.

Basically, the idea in my mind is for them to somehow have the capacity to set rules, which in the light magister's case, overlaping with their other powersets related to place, creating then playing other npcs, essentially makes them a localised GM, but in the case of actuals, forms another expression of their whirlwind of identity. I thought about whether it might be good for someone to give actuals star quality actually, though I feel that there's one kind or another of infectiousness, and any power set including "someone else's life" is far too dreamy and reflective and connective for actuals, even if self absorbed wildlords can get away with it by seeing whatever they experience as an expression of themselves.

So so far they can space warp, on a radial level, they can push themselves towards people or away from them, but that sense of aggregating things, of forming them into matricies, is not yet present. On the other hand, gatecrasher's aesthetic about creating a strange world with its own rules might have some relevance here.

It's also strange to me the reverberations going on about creature of fable, with it's iconic soul carving swords and fight friendly powers like telling people stuff they just did well was always a trick, for me indominable and creature of fable form the core elements of what I imagine the warmain power set to be, indulgently spending two of their allotted arcs on pure aspect.

Can the headmaster be sneaky and put his indominable skill into something that would normally covered by creature of the light? Or is it the flashback-causing transition-triggering force-of-adult-otherness vibe that he's after?

Top Bottom