• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Chuubo's Thread 5: "Glass-Maker's Dragon PDF Now on Sale!"

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
2) Since Mimics are supposed to be able to pass for seven other types of characters -- Angel, Devil, Magister of the Wild, Light, Dark, or Serpents, and Divine Imperators -- I wonder how the do it with a set of arcs. Perhaps the "Costume" power in Troubled has undergone a very big change
You know, Mimics could probably actually manage that mainly using Gatecrasher. You choose the Secret World of Angels, or the Secret World of Magisters of the Light, and you have access to the behind the scenes stuff about that group that no one else really notices. You get access to "Basic Moves" that mimic (no pun intended) the base abilities of that type of being, and you get Plot Devices to masquerade as them in random and specific situations.

(I like the new Arc assignments, but I'm unreasonably grumpy that there are no Otherworldly Arcs for any of the Excrucian types, just because it messes up my inevitable attempt to do a Bleak Academy game with every type using all of their arcs.)

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The hidden world of giant snakes has some fascinating implications for a setting. (Though I might model that with an Empowered Wound.)

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
You know, Mimics could probably actually manage that mainly using Gatecrasher. You choose the Secret World of Angels, or the Secret World of Magisters of the Light, and you have access to the behind the scenes stuff about that group that no one else really notices. You get access to "Basic Moves" that mimic (no pun intended) the base abilities of that type of being, and you get Plot Devices to masquerade as them in random and specific situations.

(I like the new Arc assignments, but I'm unreasonably grumpy that there are no Otherworldly Arcs for any of the Excrucian types, just because it messes up my inevitable attempt to do a Bleak Academy game with every type using all of their arcs.)
Throw in a couple of non-Excrucian characters being "recruited"?

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Why do it the easy way? There's the hypothetical House of the Sun, waiting for you to invent a whole new type of Excrucian. ;)

On a more serious note, the fact that none of them have Green arcs implies that Excrucians are rather self contained, and are probably not being pulled on by any forces or philosophies but their own. I see Mystic arcs as exerting that force too, but in a different way than Otherworldy. Maybe the lack of green indicates that they reject the idea there can be something which could change them?

Jeremy Kopczynski

Validated User
On today's Tumblr note, Jenna talks about XP Emotions for being awesome and the conundrum of formalizing rules for it. Personally, I think just letting it slide when it happens with a note that it shouldn't really work that way is the best approach.

Extinction Burp

Sourpuss
Validated User
How would you get a reasonable approximation of the Active Immortality Gift? I keep thinking combining Gatecrasher (secrets of immortality) with Become Somebody (the one who lives to tell the tale), but are there other ideas?

Jenna Moran

Validated User
How would you get a reasonable approximation of the Active Immortality Gift? I keep thinking combining Gatecrasher (secrets of immortality) with Become Somebody (the one who lives to tell the tale), but are there other ideas?
In a Nobilis context, which seems to be where you're going, then it'd probably be a Gatecrasher Gift based on "Counter."

In the Chuubo's context, I mean, if someone starts suspecting you're not a real Imperator because you're not Immortal, then just say you're not on an Immortal Arc. Or, I dunno, use a Scheme. ^_^

You can rip out your own mortality with CoD and hide it somewhere, but that forces you to pick mortality as your thing-to-extract and it won't be as good as Active Immortality. Still pretty good for walking through lava or whatever though.

Best wishes,

Jenna

PK

Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Validated User
Ioshi and Glitch both look very interesting, but I do hope we're still going to see support for CMWGE, especially the Book of Golden Hours (a.k.a. "Chuubo's Book of Miraculous Arcs v1.5"). Has there been any news on that one moving closer to DriveThruRPG?

Top Bottom