• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Chuubo's Thread 5: "Glass-Maker's Dragon PDF Now on Sale!"

Jenna Moran

Validated User
Ioshi and Glitch both look very interesting, but I do hope we're still going to see support for CMWGE, especially the Book of Golden Hours (a.k.a. "Chuubo's Book of Miraculous Arcs v1.5"). Has there been any news on that one moving closer to DriveThruRPG?
I made the decision to focus on Glitch as my first major post-GMD release. If Book of Golden Hours feels ready after Glitch is out I will probably do it next.

Best wishes,

Jenna

Raz_Fox

Validated User
Okay, so. Recently, I saw a tumblr thread in which it was suggested that one could, quite plausibly, have "the child of Aslan, who escaped the drowning of Narnia in the Outside" as a plausible Chuubo's character. I grinned, I was delighted, I moved on- yet the concept lingered. Fine, I said to myself, fine, I'll jot down the basics of what that might be, if you wanted to somehow work that character into, oh, I dunno, maybe the GMD. They'd be, oh, Allegory 3, right? Stands to reason.

Then the Lifepath happened.

This is the first time I've ever tried to make a proper Chuubo's character from scratch, much less one with Miraculous Arc 3+, so I have no idea if what I've created is even playable, but because I cannot sit on this and not scream about it, I thus unveil it.

Presenting:
THE ICONOCLAST - A Lifepath for Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine!
Spoiler: Show
Campaign: Maybe the Glass-Maker's Dragon?
Academics Skill: Above Average
Sports Skill: Above Average
Favorite Foods: Lobster, fresh fruit, Turkish Delight
Blood Type: AB
Animal: Lion
Genres: Pastoral, Gothic, Epic Fantasy
Arcs: Allegory 3, Become Somebody 0+

Step 1: Choose Your Name!

Good morning. I hope you slept well. Welcome to the world of Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine.

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful world where all the animals talked. Maybe you have fond, cherished memories of that place; or maybe you remember too sharply its failings and the expectations laid upon you; but it is most likely that you cannot easily separate the beautiful and the cruel, in a world like that. That world had a fated end, one that you would take part in: the stars would fall from the sky, and the dragons would tear up the trees and the grass, and last of all the sun would go out. But...

Well. Everything went out of order, didn't it? The sun died first; the world drowned while the distraught stars plummeted from the dark sky; you, alone, sailed east beyond east in a little coracle, making for the last real place in all of existence.

What is your name, god-child?

# Call me Mary Lomidze, the Lion's Daughter!
# Call me Alexander Lomidze, the Lion's Son!
# I am Alina bint Ash, the Vulture's Daughter, inexorable and irresistible.
# How embarrassing! It's true that I was picked up by that little coracle on its way to Town, but my parent was actually...

Moving forward, we shall assume that you are indeed Mary Lomidze, the Lion's Daughter, but if we are wrong, it should prove no difficulty at all to amend any erroneous pronouns or statements below, and trust me that I mean you no offense.

Step 2: Choose Your Nature!

From birth, or creation, you were meant to be a symbol, a character in a grand passion play. Your entire life revolved around the moment when someone would look at you and say: ah. I understand, now. But that moment never came.

I think that in that place, you were meant to be The Good Princess. You were an embodiment of grace and virtue: trusting of your superiors, valiant in the fray, and obedient to your father's every command. You were a paragon and an example, a yardstick for other little girls to measure themselves against, that they might find where they fell short.

I do not think you are this thing anymore. Even if I was wrong- if you were the Messenger, once, or the Knight of the East- I don't think you are that thing, either. You cannot watch your world drown and remain in the mold that was made for you there, to serve a purpose in that place. I think that you could have chosen to cling to what your father might have meant for you to do; but I also think that you did not.

You have become the Iconoclast, a skeptic and an enemy of gods, or at the very least a friendly rival of the same; you erase what is written and defy what is ordained; you declare to the world that you cannot be compelled, that you will not bow to tradition, that you are not tame.

Unless I am wrong, and you have become...
# the Pilgrim, seeking a path to absolution;
# the Seeker, wandering Fortitude searching for new purpose;
# or the Lion, seeking to surpass your father in his very own nature.

Regardless, I am almost certain that you are plagued by faith. It surrounds you in a numinous cloud, whether it has forsaken you or not; it brings people to confess their fears and worries to you and to put their trust in you; it pricks you to wakefulness in the cold hours of the night. Maybe I am wrong, and you are plagued by ineffable love, or holy fury, or by hope itself- but I very much doubt it! Faith just feels right.

Step 3: Choose Your Favorite Scenes!

Are you most often seen...

[MOON]: Losing yourself in drawing scenes and people from your world?
[MOON]: Roving restlessly through Fortitude?
[MOON]: Staring out at Big Lake and the sky?
[CROOK]: Helping someone out with their chores?
[CROOK]: Helping someone who's in trouble?
[CROOK]: Helping out down by the docks?
[CROOK]: Practicing a musical instrument?
[CROOK]: Reminiscing over your lost world?
[CROOK]: Cleaning graffiti off walls or scrubbing dishes clean?
[CROOK]: Looking after someone's cat or dog?
[LIGHTNING]: watching the Rats of Fortitude on the Roofs?
[GEAR]: Giving a monologue, and then taking decisive action?

Step 4: Review Your Goals!

You have an open invitation waiting for you at the S.E.E.D. program in Horizon. It won't quite be like singing a world into existence, but it's as close as you can get. Which is why you have not accepted the offer. Which is why you are here in Fortitude, instead. Going straight from being an object lesson to being a creator, from being the child to being your parent-

It's too much!

Maybe in a decade or so you'll be ready. Maybe when you've finished growing up and have decided who you have to be. Maybe when you know what it means to create something, when you know that being a creator is what you want to be. Maybe then.

But for right now, being in charge of a new world is the last thing you want. You are not a tame child, after all! No, you could decide to be a fisherman out on Big Lake, or you could go and become a shrine maiden, or you could make yourself into anything at all, as long as it's not being a god. Most of all...

Most of all, I think you want to be the sort of person who does not have to teach lessons with their claws.

# Quest 1: Remind people that you aren't tame! You have had enough of being perfect and respectable and naturally obedient. It doesn't matter if you still end up doing what they want you to do- it's enough to assert that you don't really have to do what they say. You belong to you.
# Quest 2: You have to make a new life, here, in Town, and as part of that: you have to understand, at least in part, its relationship with the world you have lost. You want to make comparisons, and perhaps more importantly, draw attention to the contrasts. Maybe you spend time with the Rats who travel on the roofs and tell them who they remind you of, or maybe you marvel at the fact that you can be forgiven here without a price in blood.
# Quest 3: You were dead. You drowned, in the far Outside, and not even your little coracle could save you; and now you are here. That's a lot! So let's look back at how you survived, what happened to you, and how you declared that you would not die, and why, now- why you dream of a dead sun.

Step 7: Connections!

The Rats of Fortitude 2: They are... familiar. Comfortingly so.
The Child of the Sun 1: Someone needs to look after them! And maybe get them to question whether they really want to walk in their mother's footsteps.

Step 8: Review your Powers!

# It's hard for people to recognize you when you don't want to be recognized, or see you before it's your time to be noticed.
# You can see faith flowing beautifully like water and hear the hearts of those who struggle against fate and tradition.
# You can unsheathe terrible claws which scourge the sinful and the wicked of their flaws.
# You have heard or been witness to so many stories and fabulous marvels that you have some experience with just about anything.
# You can awaken animals to speech like your father, levy terrible curses or transformations on others, and even make the impossible possible, for a time.

Bonus Information:
"Putting My Faith in You" XP.
Abilities:
# Musician 2 (or, if you prefer, Sketching 2 or Pottery 2- the important thing is having a creative outlet)
# Defiant 2
# A Gentle Word 1
# Sailing 1
# Following the Rules 0
# Superior Holiness 2 (or, if you prefer, Superior Cat-Speaker 2)

Your Role is the Iconoclast; your Failing is Faith; your Truth is (by default) "I was there when the stars all fell from heaven."

Maxen M

Somewhere off to the side
Validated User
Surprisingly Excrucian, maybe warmain-y? I can't decide whether that should be coincidence, and this about a different kind of denying destiny, or whether there should be some history about how they were saved from the outside..

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Then the Lifepath happened.

This is the first time I've ever tried to make a proper Chuubo's character from scratch, much less one with Miraculous Arc 3+, so I have no idea if what I've created is even playable, but because I cannot sit on this and not scream about it, I thus unveil it.
Looks pretty cool to me! If someone presented that character to me at a table, I would be all in.

Curiousity question - which Skill do you envision the Iconoclaust using to affect and unweave miracles? Do they oppose them through sheer Superior Holiness, or do they sing the world different through their Musician (or even, are they simply Defiant in the fact of miraculous power?)

Raz_Fox

Validated User
Surprisingly Excrucian, maybe warmain-y? I can't decide whether that should be coincidence, and this about a different kind of denying destiny, or whether there should be some history about how they were saved from the outside..
I think that it's coincidental, but that it's certainly possible to take it that direction, should you want- Excrucians are sneaky like that. I don't think that young Miss Lomidze necessarily is interested in ending creation, it's just that she is in no particular rush to put herself in the driver's seat of making a new one, because she hasn't even done things like tried Old Indescribable or played in a band or played horseshoes with an ordinary boy. She's never been anything other than who she was supposed to be, so making a new world tree and a ring rung round it of flames they are, that all can wait until she's had the chance to figure out what sort of person she'd like to be.

Looks pretty cool to me! If someone presented that character to me at a table, I would be all in.

Curiousity question - which Skill do you envision the Iconoclaust using to affect and unweave miracles? Do they oppose them through sheer Superior Holiness, or do they sing the world different through their Musician (or even, are they simply Defiant in the fact of miraculous power?)
I think that Superior Holiness will actually be difficult to maintain at its optimal power, simply because of the mismatch between her nature and who she is choosing to be, and doing magical sorts of things with Musician might feel uncomfortably like following in Dad's footsteps (pawprints?). I'd play her as simply being Defiant, planting her feet and using No magic, which is one of the earliest sorts of magic someone can learn. No, this is wrong, or at the very least not right; No, I will not accept this; No, you cannot do this thing to me. I belong to me.

(Her basic quest's default catchphrase would be "I'm not tame." But there'd be others recommended: "I belong to me." "Not yours." Or, for Alina: "Inexorable. Irresistible.")

(The basic quest and her Emotion XP are at cross-purposes specifically so that you can play her as dependable and cool and helpful and lull people into a false sense of security and get that emote XP and then whip out the reminder that she is not tame, bam, there's the Quest XP. Because you're helping people because you choose to help them, not because it is demanded of you.)

AsgarZigel

Has Gone Matchmaker Mad
Validated User
Has anyone tried playing Chuubo's through Tabletop Simulator? Could be pretty cool with cards and XP Tokens and the like.

Maxen M

Validated User
If it's called "The book of golden hours", will the 24 arcs be in chronological order? Starting with primordial, followed swiftly by awakening, and ending with Indomitable for the particularly caffeinated?

Maxen M

Validated User
A tenuous proposal:

Primordial - 5:00 - You're asleep, and your dreams are deep and unfathomable
Prophet - 6:00 - You're asleep, but your alarms fill your dreams with amped up daily life
Awakening - 7:00 - You're awake, but you aren't quite sure if you are a butterfly
Creature of the Light - 8:00 - The sun gives you perfect lighting through your windscreen, people hear you calling them as you move slowly towards them
Creature of Delirium - 9:00 - Emails, fragments of others experiences, to tangle together into a narrative for your day
Creature of Fable - 10:00 - There are problems, so many problems, so this strange semi-human hunter goes after them.
Become Somebody - 11:00 - Ok, now you're at least a human being, maybe even an employee?
Knave of Hearts - 12:00 - For lunch, everyone becomes completely different people for a moment, hear about other people's lives
Allegory - 13:00 - Meetings after lunch, can people actually recognise what you are doing? Time to pull out your secret weapon.
The Ace - 14:00 - Ok, now we can actually work
Chosen One - 15:00 - Yeah! Pow Pow Pow
Reality Syndrome - 16:00 - Ok I have a very complicated system now, but can I actually get anything done?
Child of the Ash - 17:00 - This is completely unweildly and vast!
Called Away - 18:00 - Still in work? Or on the road? Another world awaits.
Spiritual - 19:00 - The things
Sentimental - 20:00 - and the people
A Keeper of Gardens - 21:00 - and the places you love.
Impresario - 22:00 - Bit late for this honestly, what is all your organising productivity doing at this time in the night?
Gatecrasher - 23:00 - Superheroes do well at night,
Gatekeeper - 24:00 - mysterious forces too,
Wounded Angel - 1:00 - and especially people in trenchcoats.
Troubled - 2:00 - But you're just a normal person, maybe stop watching movies and playing games and think about your plans for life.
Accursed - 3:00 - Got damn it's late, curl up into your sanctuary.
Indomitable - 4:00 - If you're still up, you are this.

Top Bottom