• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Cinematic Unisystem Question

Venture-Stein

Validated User
I've been running Cinematic Unisystem fairly regularly for about ten years now, but something has recently come up we have never had to deal with before. Players wanting to use two weapons at once. One wanted to use two pistols, the other an axe and a knife. I can't find any maneuvers to cover this. Has anyone else dealt with this, or know of a Two weapon maneuver? I've tried working one up but no luck. Help please.

The Grey Elf

is the Master!
Validated User
There's a Quality for it in Dungeons & Zombies and (iirc) Pulp Zombies.

The D&Z one is called Ambidextrous, and is a 3-point Quality that gives you one extra attack or defense at no penalty (not both) each round if using a weapon in each hand.

Last edited:

Sayter

Validated User
Alternatively, you could do what I've done and simply dock a -2 for the extra attack, per attack, as usual by the default rules. The Quality mentioned above seems a better option now though, since it doesn't outright penalize the player for the first attack.

treorai

Lovecraftian Horror
Validated User
Depending on the level of bookkeeping and whatnot you want to do, you can also track penalties for each hand separately, with the character's off hand receiving an additional -3 penalty. The aforementioned Ambidexterity Quality would, in that situation, remove the -3 penalty. However, please note that if you are running a lower powered game, this can make two weapon fighters kind of sickening compared to the good old fashioned one weapon folks. I've used this method and the one mentioned above by Jason. Which I use for new games depends on what kind of game I'm running. Some styles benefit from the separate penalty tracks (action oriented epics), others benefit from just rolling it into the normal multi-action penalties (less action oriented, atmospheric games, frex).

Starbright

Retired User
People tend to assume that two weapons have got to be better than one, but if that's the case, why don't people use two weapons in real life. I'd apply penalties to hit, and damage to both weapons to make the combo worse than a single weapon. Making it only useful in rare situations such as agains massed ranks of very weak opponents.

SkyStreak

Validated User
People tend to assume that two weapons have got to be better than one, but if that's the case, why don't people use two weapons in real life. I'd apply penalties to hit, and damage to both weapons to make the combo worse than a single weapon. Making it only useful in rare situations such as agains massed ranks of very weak opponents.
Well, since we're talking cinematic, I don't think real life applies.....

I would go with Ambidextrous and multiple actions rules.

rev_raven_walker

Validated User
Well, there are many examples of dual-weapon use (sword-and-shield, rapier and main gauche, escrima sticks, butterfly swords, etc.) so I wouldn't go so far as to automatically make dual-weapons worse than single-wielding, but for a realistic game, it should be a matter of rather specific martial styles and weapon types. (And the "off-hand" weapon is mostly used for defense even in most of these styles.)

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
People do use two weapons in real life, indeed warriors always made sure they used both hands when they had the option. Whether to use a shield (which is also a weapon), both hands on a weapon or a second weapon in their other hand, or a defensive implement like a cloak wrapped around the forearm.

A single weapon is the worst choice compared to all the alternatives, and what you do if you have no other options, not something you'd choose.

Top Bottom