OOC City of Mist: Victorian London

Tedster

Vigilante of Love
Validated User
Welcome, everyone! Thanks for making the move over.

Before we get started in the Q&A portion of Day in the Life, I thought our first order of business is to deal with the details of your Crew. Main question: what brings all of you together?

A proposal: I think it makes the most sense for someone like Evelard to have gathered all of you together. The Merlin is the schemer, after all, his A Day in the Life implies powers lurking in the shadows moving their pieces on the chessboard. He even seems like the kind of person that might possess the resources to establish some sort of meeting place for you — his Ancestral Library, perhaps? Furthermore, he, along with Rianna, are the most Awakened of you, and he is in search of allies in the Great Game. Are some of you part of his lost Circle, or are the rest of the group what Evelard intends to use until he locates them? Since we have established that we are going with the default setting assumption that several Mythoi have, through their fully-formed Avatars, been around for some time now but veiled behind the Mist, is Merlin's Great Game some sort of battle to uncover these Mythoi?

Initial thoughts about this kind of setup? Would your characters have this kind of buy-in? This might make the Crew revolve around Merlin's agenda too much but maybe there are ways your goals can intersect. Just throwing stuff against the wall here and seeing what gets traction.

Once we've determined this, let's hash some your Crew tags and following that, your relationships (Help/Hurt).

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Subbed.

When you thought of/pitched a Kerberos Club inspired game, were you thinking that our group alone comprised the Club? I'll confess that I've been thinking all along that there is a larger Club that we're a part of. I've liked that idea, as it put some of the organizational impetus outside of our group and not dependent on our resources. Were we to do that, our Crew would be a subfaction within the Kerberos Club with specific shared goals.

I'd prefer that Evelard's Ancestral Library not be the meeting place for the group. It's his place to get away from people, not to invite them in.

I'd be happy for Evelard to bring something to the group that helped organize our raison d'être, but would only want for Merlin's thing to be the group thing if everyone were bought in on that.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Ok, so scrapping my orientation towards an existing Kerberos Club, as that works less well with the Crew assumptions of the game: Reviewing our characters, both Riana and Kate have Divination themes, and they both have questions related to those Themes that are related to discovery: "Where can I find more secrets of Wild Lore?" (Riana) and "What is it I should be hunting?" (Kate).

I could see a situation where the two of them, in their various hunts, discovered each other and then sought out others, discovering Evelard, Solomon, and Rebecca. While initially wary of each other, we could have formed an alliance or pact of mutual discovery and interest in learning more about what is affecting London. Each for our own individual reasons, though we can come up with a group screed.

Solomon, through legal means, could have discovered an old unused property. Evelard, Solomon, and Kate could probably have contributed capital investment to gain control of the property and furnish it. Rebecca has the chops to have organized us all into a working group and in making the place a decent enough lair.

Our organizing principle could be as simple as we're the people we've found with extraordinary abilities who are approachable and rational enough to work with, and while we each have separate agendas, we're not so obsessed with them that we can't work together and help each out on common cause. We've likely met and watched some other individuals, but haven't invited them into our group for various reasons.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Are some of you part of his lost Circle
Regarding this, it could be interesting if one of the PCs was an awakening Circle member, but my intention was that part of the character arc would potentially involve finding other members out there, either not yet awakened or awakened in a bad way.

Tedster

Vigilante of Love
Validated User
I'm totally good with a pre-existing K Club and you all being a subfaction, but as I was pondering this I felt that we had existing setting assumptions with the K Club that needed to somehow merge with assumptions for City of Mist. I was proposing the Evelard angle as a means to bypass that and tie it closer to the elements that your character already established.

Ok, so scrapping my orientation towards an existing Kerberos Club, as that works less well with the Crew assumptions of the game: Reviewing our characters, both Riana and Kate have Divination themes, and they both have questions related to those Themes that are related to discovery: "Where can I find more secrets of Wild Lore?" (Riana) and "What is it I should be hunting?" (Kate).

I could see a situation where the two of them, in their various hunts, discovered each other and then sought out others, discovering Evelard, Solomon, and Rebecca. While initially wary of each other, we could have formed an alliance or pact of mutual discovery and interest in learning more about what is affecting London. Each for our own individual reasons, though we can come up with a group screed.

Solomon, through legal means, could have discovered an old unused property. Evelard, Solomon, and Kate could probably have contributed capital investment to gain control of the property and furnish it. Rebecca has the chops to have organized us all into a working group and in making the place a decent enough lair.

Our organizing principle could be as simple as we're the people we've found with extraordinary abilities who are approachable and rational enough to work with, and while we each have separate agendas, we're not so obsessed with them that we can't work together and help each out on common cause. We've likely met and watched some other individuals, but haven't invited them into our group for various reasons.
This is a great start. What do the rest of you think? Does banding together for this goal make sense for your pursuing your individual Mythos mysteries?

Maybe jumping the gun a bit; but since you all start out knowing each other as a Crew, and since we need to consider Help/Hurts eventually anyway, here are a few links I've also seen between your characters that would be worth exploring:

Evelard, as High Druid, you can endow upon others the Traits of Beasts. What is it like to encounter someone like Riana who has embraced these traits wholeheartedly? Would you know anything about the Wild Lore she pursues?

What's the nature of the relationship between Evelard and Rebecca as members of the same Mythos? Maybe there is also a link between your Under the Open Sky and her Under the Open Sky power tags?

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Evelard, as High Druid, you can endow upon others the Traits of Beasts. What is it like to encounter someone like Riana who has embraced these traits wholeheartedly? Would you know anything about the Wild Lore she pursues?
What's the most interesting angle for you, Unka Josh Unka Josh ?

Looking at it through Evelard's lens, I could see Sarkairs being either a) a type of Druid, b) a magical perversion of Druidic magic, or c) for the animal magic of Druids to be a development from Sarkair magic, or d) them being wholly alien to each other. My initial tendency would be to see the forms of magic as being more suspicious of each other: Sarkairs use 'dangerous magic' to 'take the skin' of animals, whereas Druidic magic is more rooted in harmony with nature, of which beasts are a part.

Which magic is older? Did either 'steal' anything from the other, or are they more closely related than that? Or are they completely foreign to each other?

We're both form-shifters; Riana Shapeshifts into animals and Evelard has 1000 Faces. I don't know if that means we trust each other more, or less. I lean towards suspicion and grudging acceptance of each other, but am open to other avenues of approach.

On a Logos level, I expect there'd also be some class tension -- or at least lack of understanding -- between Riana and Evelard.

What's the nature of the relationship between Evelard and Rebecca as members of the same Mythos? Maybe there is also a link between your Under the Open Sky and her Under the Open Sky power tags?
Yeah, how do you want to play that, The Lore Bear The Lore Bear ? As their Avatars, I like the idea of Morgan le Fay and Merlin having some tension between them. They're entwined entities through the Ages, sometimes allied but more often in opposition. I'm happy to call that opposition the arrogance of patriarchal expectations of dominance, but it would be interesting to identify some specifics.

Rebecca is clearly not a dark version of Morgan le Fay.

I think it could be interesting if Rebecca and Evelard, in their Logos personas, like and work well together, but they have these primal energies contained within that can't help but jockey for power with each other in an age-old rivalry for supremacy. An interesting mundane paradox/conflict could be that Evelard's of a higher social class, but he has the inherent submissiveness towards a governess that children of his class might be predisposed to.

Us both having the Open Sky power tag implies to me that our powers are sourced similarly. I don't know what that means regarding the relationship between Avalonian and Druidic magic.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What's the most interesting angle for you, Unka Josh Unka Josh ?

Looking at it through Evelard's lens, I could see Sarkairs being either a) a type of Druid, b) a magical perversion of Druidic magic, or c) for the animal magic of Druids to be a development from Sarkair magic, or d) them being wholly alien to each other. My initial tendency would be to see the forms of magic as being more suspicious of each other: Sarkairs use 'dangerous magic' to 'take the skin' of animals, whereas Druidic magic is more rooted in harmony with nature, of which beasts are a part.

Which magic is older? Did either 'steal' anything from the other, or are they more closely related than that? Or are they completely foreign to each other?

We're both form-shifters; Riana Shapeshifts into animals and Evelard has 1000 Faces. I don't know if that means we trust each other more, or less. I lean towards suspicion and grudging acceptance of each other, but am open to other avenues of approach.

On a Logos level, I expect there'd also be some class tension -- or at least lack of understanding -- between Riana and Evelard.
Hm. I think "Which is older" is probably one of those points where people argue back and forth forever. Is nature harmony? Is nature struggle? How can you tell the difference? Y'know what I mean? I do think some suspicion is likely; it's going to be enhanced by class-based suspicion, as Riana's entire social circle outside the PCs is basically assorted urchins and criminals. But I think they might find some bonding despite initial suspicion; it's good to find people with viewpoints you can relate to.

And if they work together eventually, we could have a Super Wolf Moon party, and it would be glorious.

EnigmaticOne

Validated User

It sounds fair to me. Evelard as the Merlin and an experienced Awakened would make a good person for Solomon to look towards as a mentor who can help him in handling his Mysteries.

I wonder what the Under the Open Sky tags mean when you have a Mythoi of Tawhiri that IS the sky, or at least the tempestuous elements of it.

The Lore Bear

T L B
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm phone posting and will catch up properly once I'm home, but I'm liking a lot of the big picture thoughts so far. Especially liking the idea of Rebecca and Evelard having a complicated situation between the people, the myths and their roles in both.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
I wonder what the Under the Open Sky tags mean when you have a Mythoi of Tawhiri that IS the sky, or at least the tempestuous elements of it.
It means we're gonna both yell at you to do your cloud-mucking over there, thank you very much!

To clarify, and I suspect it's for both of us, this is England. Heavy skies are the norm. I think of it as having nothing to do with what the weather is as much as being out in it. So, we're more powerful when we're outside, under the sky, than when we're in a building or underground (and we all know how little Merlin likes caves...).

Though it's an interesting thought that you're a walking sky, of sorts. I could see that being useful, were Solomon to perform a Stop. Holding. Back. move, in order to empower Evelard and Rebecca while we're all trapped underground, or something. It's possible Change the Game could also effect that, dependent on the situation or the GM's call.

I'm phone posting and will catch up properly once I'm home, but I'm liking a lot of the big picture thoughts so far. Especially liking the idea of Rebecca and Evelard having a complicated situation between the people, the myths and their roles in both.
:geek:

Top Bottom