IC City of Mist: Victorian London

Tedster

Vigilante of Love
Validated User
Evelard stepped from the carriage and regarded the country mansion, composing his thoughts before embarking up the marble steps. They would be meeting here, his informants said. The ones they called the Sussurates, a trio of highly sought advisors to the elite of the Empire, their identities shrouded in mystery. What you have heard about them, however, was that they were able to predict future events in uncanny accuracy, including the abrupt death of William IV that led to the crowning of Queen Victoria and the Irish potato famine of 1844. Clearly they were touched by the Strange, like you and the rest. The more pressing question, however, was whether they were on the side of Britannia or against her.

His name would get him into the ball, but it would not grant him access to the inner chambers where the Duke's advisors would gather. For that, he would need to adopt the face of Viscount Tremaine, and that would require a bit of derring-do to get the Viscount alone in the sitting room where Evelard's accomplice both waited and would stand watch. It wasn't going to be an impossible evening, but by the Oak it would be a viper's nest. He wasn't certain of the number of agents from the Nations Seen and Unseen who would be in attendance on this Solstice Moon, each seeking to influence the course of modern events. But there was no question the place would be full of observers, each reporting to their secret lord. Some, no doubt, looking to interfere.

Well. Nothing was accomplished from hesitation. Best to walk through the door and start the dance than get lost in the endless permutations of an imperfect plan. He made his way to the ornate doors.

"Ah. Lord Severstern," a familiar voice drolled as he stepped through the foyer. "How excellent. And here I thought the night was going to be one of tedium."

By the Seven Storms. What was the Count of Ravens doing here? Had the Night Court broken their cypher? Evelard gave the hawk-nosed man a courageous smile, but he knew from looking into the necromancer's eyes that the spiderweb was already drawn tight around him. The trap was sprung, and he'd never seen it coming. He could only hope that the others would see it for what it was and make rapid alterations.

-----

Kate, you jumped at the opportunity to assist Evelard with this mission, as the visions you have been receiving from Sekhmet have never been more clear. They all pointed to the Plurarity — which according to Egyptian hieroglyphics are symbolized by three vertical marks in their mystic numerology. A trio of seers, you say? Perhaps the Sussurates are the prey lioness seeks for her great hunt.

You would even forego the highly sought-after tickets you procured for yourself and Rebecca for Babbage Computational’s Conference for Emergent Technologies for this opportunity. The bookish governess, however, may not be so predisposed to miss even one moment of it, especially the rumored debut of Babbage’s new automechanical man.

The rest of you were likewise a little less keen on playing along with another of Evelard’s schemes, acting on the whims of his byzantine network of informants. You all had other things occupying your thoughts.

After all, Solomon, your father formally announces his intention to run for Parliament tomorrow, and you fear your heritage might become the focal point of a smear attack against him.

Meanwhile, Riana, you fear the worst has befallen Erica, one of the most entrepreneurial of your girls. She hasn’t checked in for days. That said, if the Sussurates are all-knowing as Evelard purports, they may give you insight to her location that your network cannot.

OOC: In case you haven’t noticed, we’re using Evelard’s Day in the Life as a springboard to our story, with the following edits:
  1. The reason for the meeting in the Duke’s country mansion has been changed to tie it in closer to his and your Crew’s goals;
  2. and Evelard has of course recruited all of you to assist in his infiltration.
To begin our tale, we’ll start with some quick cuts that showcase your character being awesome. In making your introductory post, narrate how your PC contributed to this operation in some way, stopping at any point right before any of you enter the meeting room. I’ll pick things up there.

Some other recent events in your lives are described above for you to respond to as well. Feel free to also dispose of as you wish any antagonists Atlictoatl threw in his story (the agents from the Nations Seen and Unseen, the Count of Ravens, and the Night Court) in your account as I don’t see myself using them again. (Although if your post makes them too cool to not re-use for my purposes, I reserve the right to bring these characters back again in some way!)

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Evelard Severstern, the Merlin

Evelard gave the man the open-and-shut, open-and-shut fish mouth that he was no doubt craving, his mind racing. The Count looked as dashing as ever in his black formal wear and fluffy crimson cravat.

"Demetrius...," Evelard acknowledged with an incline of his head. "You've caught me by surprise. Do I need to worry about my people? Are your ravens wearing claws tonight?"

He thought back to his careful planning, running through the layout and timeline with his compatriots until they looked bored with it all. It wasn't that intricate of a plan, but he hadn't thought to tell them how to identify the Raven Court. That... could be a problem. Best to try to negotiate neutral ground then to leave his friends to the whims of the chaotic group. Demetrius Alexander Mikhalov Bobrinsky wasn't a... trustworthy... man, per se, but agreements could be struck.

Last edited:

The Lore Bear

T(ime) L B(omb)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rebecca Baines, Morgan Le Fey

This had better be worth it.

Rebecca was less than thrilled with her current situation. She was supposed to be enjoying the company of Kate and the intellectuals of the Conference for Emergent Technologies, but instead, she was outside of the country mansion, dressed in a dark overcoat as she moves to try and quietly move around the side. The side door into the mansion was only covered by a single guard, softly lit but the area wide open. Sneaking up would be impossible for any normal guard.

Rebecca swings her hands to the side, her two hands put together and tilting them to the side as the light starts to dim. The guard drops to the ground, making a soft snoring sound as he was left on the ground. As she moves toward the now-unguarded gate, Rebecca's dress seems like the one she was planning on wearing to the Conference, not willing to waste a good moment if the rest of the group can get to catch up to Evelard.

She waves a hand over her head for the others as she pulls the gate open.

Chaomancer

CotTS High Magician
Validated User
Hours ago:

"I will make it up to you, Rebecca," Kate promised. "And if we are fortunate, perhaps we don't need to miss the entire Conference. But this... I don't know if I'll get another chance to test this theory, and I must know. If the Sussurates are my patron's prey, then I can't let this chance go by."

The thought of the hunt tears at her, pulling her onward. Still, it hurts to abandon her plans with her friend, especially since Rebecca had so been looking forward to it.

Now:
Kate smiles as she passes Rebecca and takes the lead, letting her divine senses guide them as they move inside the. Lion's eyes gaze into the darkness, and she hears the thoughts of the approaching men before they come into view. Guilt drips from their minds like rotting blood from a corpse and Kate grins. Good. This would be tricky if they were moral people, but men such as these...

Her pounce is silent and unbelievably swift, catching them as they turn the corner, slamming heads together with a strength that seems unbelievable from someone with so slight a frame. The men fall insensate, vile thoughts ceasing as Kate drags them aside. A brief pause, listening, but no. No one seems to have heard the brief scuffle.

"So we aren't the only ones entering uninvited," she mutters as she feels through their coats. "I wonder who these agents serve?"

Ah, yes. Keys. Those might be useful. Documents too, though they'll likely lead nowhere. Grinning, she moves on. As much as she would like to be learning about automechanical men, the opportunity to unleash her coiling rage against worthy targets is something she will have to thank Evelard for once they met up. She hoped Evelard's plan was moving smoothly on his end, because these intruders had been unexpected.

No matter. On to the meeting room as scheduled.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Riana snarled as it became clear that Erica was missing, and, worse, she couldn't track her. That was unusual, to say the least. Her own powers to locate people were formidable, although not limitless. But enough was enough.

"Snipe, Bill, you look after the house while I'm out," she said. "George, Becky, get the lot of 'em fed. Anne, you bring the stragglers in. Everyone's in early tonight, and I don't care what anyone else has to say about it. Eyes sharp, teeth ready, knives at hand, all of you. I'm on the hunt tonight."

And so she was.

===

Bundled in wolfskin, but still walking on two legs, she approached the meeting, and her eyes gleamed in the moonlight. Tonight, her human shape was just a mask; tonight, she was something that longed to hunt and kill. But she couldn't find the prey she wanted, and so she's wait, and hope to find her path. But it did get hard, to remember to be human...

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
Solomon Arbuster, Tawhiri

Solomon was not much more happy with Evelard's sudden request and what he was doing. The others perhaps might have more investment in the secrets of the Sussurates. And perhaps the side that was Tawhiri, rumbling with feelings of portents and ominous fears. But Solomon himself was worried as it was about having to face what was to come borne upon the hustings.

Matters that would not improve if he was implicated in suspicious happenings at the estate of a Duke. As such, he stirred up a light wind, trailing a fog of dust to obscure the group from sight and hearing in this night.

Tedster

Vigilante of Love
Validated User
"Demetrius...," Evelard acknowledged with an incline of his head. "You've caught me by surprise. Do I need to worry about my people? Are your ravens wearing claws tonight?"
"Claws?" Demetrius shakes his head. "That would imply that we were here for blood, Lord Severstern."

Evelard catches a twinkle in the Count of Raven's eye as his cloak flares up behind him, fluttering like wings in the night breeze.

"But I'm afraid all the blood has already been shed, even before we arrived. Believe me when I say that my claws, for once...are clean."

The head of the Night Court tips the brim of his hat at his sometime rival, and then his form dissipates in a flurry of feathers and squawks.

-----

The rest of you, meanwhile, descend the winding staircase behind the false wall in the study. When the stairwell finally opens to a cavernous underground chamber, your eyes are drawn to the light of the oil lamps reflecting against the obsidian metal of the ornate double doors leading into the Duke's inner sanctum. To your dismay, you find no sign of Evelard.

Your two hunters catch the scent of blood simultaneously. One raises a hand of caution, while the other points to the small stream of crimson trickling out from under the door.

OOC: With Atlictoatl potentially unable to post for a bit, we can sideline him for a while outside the mansion while the rest of you move forward.

The Lore Bear

T(ime) L B(omb)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rebecca Baines

Rebecca puts a finger to her mouth, trying to make sure everyone knows to keep their voices down. She points to the door as well, then points to those of her companions that have much better senses than she does. She wants to talk, but waits for the others to spread out.

If someone is still in there, I doubt we would want to barge in.

She moves to the side of the chamber, watching the door for signs of movement while letting the others do their work.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Riana started by sniffing around the door. Were there sounds and smells inside suggesting someone besides the victims? Signs of anyone moving?

Chaomancer

CotTS High Magician
Validated User
Kate prowls forward to join Raina, listening carefully. Not just for sounds from beyond the door, but for thoughts - in her recent experience, where there's blood there is often guilt, too. And she badly wants to know what's on the far side of the door - or, more interestingly, who.

OOC: I presume we're Investigating the door here? I think my Limitless Curiosity + The Senses of a Hunting Goddess + I Know Their Guilty Thoughts tags all apply here, for +3. If so, I roll a 7 - not the best start but still a success and 3 clues.

Top Bottom