• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Civilization VI - Second Expansion Announced

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
Howdy folks! Rather than ressurrect the last Civ 6 thread we had, last post in June I think, I figured I'd start a new one to discuss the newest expansion - I think of this as an old school expansion, and not a DLC - for Civilization VI, Gathering Storm.

From a quick glance over it all while at work, it looks like it should be an interesting addition to the game. I'll have more thoughts later, when I can actually watch the announcement video and do more than skim the announcement itself. :)

Speaking of, here's the announcement video:

JMobius

Deus Ex Vir
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It actually only really just struck me that the series used to have pollution/global warming mechanics, or at least I, II, and Call to Power did, but when I picked up V they'd apparently vanished at some point. I think particularly combined with all the elements they describe there, it could be pretty interesting.

I also really like the introduction of a speculative tech era; that was one of my favorite aspects of CTP that I'd always wished would make it back to the main line.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
CANALS, MOTHERFUCKERS!
WOOOOOOOOOO
I love when specialized communities get super into things which would utterly baffle outsiders.

That all looks amazing. More uses for strategic resources. Deeper endgame. Deeper diplomacy. Diplomatic victory. They are even addressing my personal bugaboo: When AI civs declare war on me and the war ends with me conquering some of their cities and *I* end up with brutal warmonger penalties.

My only worry is that the game already has a ton of subsystems. I'm really not a great player so there's a bunch of stuff where I'm not ignoring it, exactly, but I'm definitely not getting 100% out of it just because I only have so much ability/interest in maximizing every single bit.

EDIT: There's a bunch more rumour type stuff on Reddit. I don't know where the info is coming from. Canada Civ! With Laurier as leader. Is this the first time Canada has made the cut in a Civ game? I don't remember it happening before but I wouldn't.

ChariotDriver

Validated User
EDIT: There's a bunch more rumour type stuff on Reddit. I don't know where the info is coming from. Canada Civ! With Laurier as leader. Is this the first time Canada has made the cut in a Civ game? I don't remember it happening before but I wouldn't.
Canada was in one of the Call to Power games, I think CtP2. Personally I'm hoping a civ from central Asia (the Turks as Seljuq rather than Ottoman) and a return of Babylon.

Tuxedo Mask

Intl. Man of Mystery
Validated User
What is it with these guys and Valentines day. IIRC the last big expansion also launched on Feb 14.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
TERRAFORMING IS BACK
I used to love doming all my cities to make them amphibious and then bribing/convincing/browbeating/bamboozling the world council into sending up endless solar mirrors so that all my enemies drowned.

Base Delta Zero

Validated User
There are strategic resources that can be burned for fuel – Coal, Uranium, Oil – but doing so will have an adverse effect on CO2 levels in the world and impact the Global Temperature of the planet.
'Cuz nuclear energy produces carbon dioxide, somehow. :cautious: I mean, game balance, but... really.

I also really like the introduction of a speculative tech era; that was one of my favorite aspects of CTP that I'd always wished would make it back to the main line.
Amusingly CTP's Gaia Controller just... made the entire environmental thing irrelevant. And messed up the metaplot to boot, for all that anyone cared about that. Hopefully there won't be anything quite so drastic lurking in the upper echelons of the tech tree.

Top Bottom