• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Civilization VI - Second Expansion Announced

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The patch notes also say that civ starting positions have been spread out a bit more, and I have noticed this and it's very welcome for peaceful expansion. In combination with Pingala's new promotions, it means strategies other than 'rush out settlers ASAP' are a lot more viable. It does mean more barb spawn though, or at least I feel like it does.

Other welcome changes are the overflow exploit fixed, and no more stacking legacy cards for double Oligarchy. Also, policy cards now apply retroactively (so no more +50% to Medieval and Renaissance units, but rather Renaissance and earlier) which means no more taking awkward paths through the civic tree so that you can keep building your UU.

I'm more ambivalent about not being able to swap tiles from occupied cities, but I kind of see the point and main purpose of it (avoiding warmonger penalities) is kind of less a problem with the new grievances system. Especially since someone forward settling you after you've asked them not to generates grievances.

Spaßwolf

Validated User
Really torn about to to play first. I kind of want a diplomatic victory, but both Canada and Sweden have the problem that I'm actually worried I'll win a cultural victory first, especially since I know how to do the latter better and its already the fastest peaceful victory type. The option of 'well just don't focus on tourism' doesn't really work for these civs since their favor generation is tied together with it. Maybe Egypt? They have alliance point gain which is important for favor generation and their ability to build on floodplains has been changed (since everyone can do that now) to being immune to flood damage.
I think my first attempt at a diplomatic victory will be Hungary. Trying to be suzerain of many city states and building the Országház.
And you probably won't accidentaly win a domination victory instead.

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think my first attempt at a diplomatic victory will be Hungary. Trying to be suzerain of many city states and building the Országház.
And you probably won't accidentaly win a domination victory instead.
You know, that's a good idea for another reason, which is that levying gives you a lot more force projection which is helpful for emergencies on the other side of the world. As long as you have a city state nearby, they become a lot more achievable.

Hungary it is!

Ugly Man

Shaman Theme Jet Wink
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Got an hour or so in last night before bed as French
Eleanor, who I think will be the more common pick. Her loyalty and culture abilities just line up with Chateus so well, and the extra spies make stealing great works even more fun.

I’m still going to abandon that run, because on a huge map the expanded spawns meant I was absolutely swarmed with Barbarians. It didn’t do any real damage, but the era score I got for dealing with the nearby encampments meant I overshot the first Golden Age by about forty points. Overshooting by that much means I probably never will Golden Age again.

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Her loyalty and culture abilities just line up with Chateus so well, and the extra spies make stealing great works even more fun.
Elanor doesn’t get the spy bonuses though? That’s all Catherine.

Overshooting by that much means I probably never will Golden Age again.
That’s not how Era score works. The game takes whatever score (lets call it X) you have when you enter at new age, and the threshold for getting a Normal Age the next era is X+Y, while for a Golden Age you need X+2Y.

Y is 12 + 5 for every previous Golden Age and - 5 for every previous Dark Age.

The value of X does not matter - getting a Golden Age does make future GAs more difficult, but only by a fixed 5/10, not by the new value. You cannot ‘overshoot’: X can be 5 or 50 and it makes no difference to how much new era score you need for the next age to be normal or golden.

There is of course an opportunity cost involved: if you have already got the theshold for a GA then you want to delay as many era score gaining activities to the next era as you can, because any more score is just wasted. But barb camps are a notable exception - they keep respawning anyway, so there’s less opportunity cost involved since they aren’t a one time thing like a wonder or unique or so on. You shouldn’t not clear barb camps for fear of wasting era score unless you are very close to the end of the first two eras. Barb camps stop giving era score from Rennaisance onwards so there’s no reason to not clear every one you find in the Medieval era or later, since you aren’t losing out on era score you could otherwise get in th next Era.

Last edited:

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
I'm a junkie, so I was in playing it as soon as it downloaded. :) So far I've scored cultural victories with the Inca and with the Maori, and had a wonderful time with both. The Maori one in particular was this long neck-and-neck race with Sweden to get there first. So now I'm playing Sweden and shooting for a science victory. My Stockholm has a truly ridiculous forest of wonders surrounding the city center.

I enthusiastically endorse the expansion.

Skycroft: Neat! Thank you for actual numbers and info.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd sort of forgotten how much of my understanding of this game was just osmosis over time. Trying to figure out a whole bunch of new stuff is making me feel pretty dumb. I've always been impressed by how much of the game is still playable even if you don't deeply engage with some of the mechanics and so I'm still enjoying it but I'm back to muddling through instead of mostly knowing what's going on.

What uses coal? I keep checking the climate report later on and finding myself to be a terrible coal polluter but I haven't built railroads or coal power plants.

On the other hand Mali are crazy fun. "Hm, lost track of time and need to wipe out a neighbour real fast to get a domination victory in before time runs out. Better buy a half dozen Giant Death Robots."

ViciousFish

Validated User
I’ve won 2 culture games so far. With Mali, and the Inca.

Mali gets a bit of a rough start but once you get your faith and gold going, there’s not a lot that can stop you.

Spaßwolf

Validated User
I'd sort of forgotten how much of my understanding of this game was just osmosis over time. Trying to figure out a whole bunch of new stuff is making me feel pretty dumb. I've always been impressed by how much of the game is still playable even if you don't deeply engage with some of the mechanics and so I'm still enjoying it but I'm back to muddling through instead of mostly knowing what's going on.

What uses coal? I keep checking the climate report later on and finding myself to be a terrible coal polluter but I haven't built railroads or coal power plants.

On the other hand Mali are crazy fun. "Hm, lost track of time and need to wipe out a neighbour real fast to get a domination victory in before time runs out. Better buy a half dozen Giant Death Robots."
IIRC all the things that consume coal (or oil) per turn also contribute to emissions.
So mostly coal or oil power plants (even nuclear to a lesser extent), ships and tanks. If you mouse over the ressource icons at the top, it will show how much is used for energy and how much is used for units.
I did some intentional pollution in the midgame, when I found a location for a 7 tile canal, that would connect two oceans after some sea ice melting. Now I'm two points away from a diplomatic victory (turns out throwing money at people, when they are hit by catastrophies get you points) and one way to get a point is a climate competition. Don't think I'll be winning that point.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
I don't mind the per-turn warming per se, but the build time for units is so long that you can't just decommission your polluters between conflicts. Not to mention the AI sensing weakness and hassling you if you're not fully armed. That sort of makes late game warming a non-choice.

Top Bottom