Civilization VI - Second Expansion Announced

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User
Just tried three more times. Spawned on land each time. Um, wtf?

Anybody else have this issue with Kupe?

I just closed the game. When you try and play a leader who's whole thing is spawning on the ocean, and 6 out of 6 times you start a new game with them they spawn on land (the last time deeeeep inland, too, no coast in sight anywhere) it's kind of frustrating. *sigh*
How bizarre!*

I've started about five games as Kupe, and each time it put me in the Ocean as expected. Maybe report the bug?

*NZ reference!

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
Ends up, there's probably some weird thing going on with YnAMP, even if you're not using a map script that is part of YnAMP. Running the game without that particular mod spawns Kupe out at sea, as expected. Weird.

(Edited to removed an inadvertent emoji.)

Last edited:

Spaßwolf

Validated User
Me and a friend played multiplayer today. Took us a while to figure out, how you transfer a game from cloud to regular multiplayer. Basically you have to save it and host the save as a game of the other type. No way to switch directly, without going back to the main menu.

I played the Inca on an East Asia map. Started at Halong Bay, without a mountain in sight. But the Himalaya was not too far away and it's the perfect place for Incas. Early tunnels are super fun. I was able to significantly cut down on travel time for my settlers, by sending a builder (with monumentality's speed boost) ahead to prepare tunnels. And when Wilhelmina built Machu Picchu at the other end of the world, it took my army no more than nine turns from anywhere in my empire to reach her cities. Having builders as part of my army allowed me to drop out of the mountains and to quickly surround her cities. It also allowed me to steal a settler, who would have been save from any other leader.

Spaßwolf

Validated User
You can attack through tunnels. So the entire army can stand behind a mountain range and they all attack the same unit out of a single tile. And after taking a city, the warak'aqs and the builders can plan the next siege, while the swordsmen heal up.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
Speaking only for myself, I feel like the addition of all these new systems hit some sort of complexity tipping point for me. It feels a little too fiddly now.
It's working for me, but I find your reaction very easy to understand. I've been there myself with other games; sorry this one's hit that point for you.

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User
As someone who's always been a bit dubious of the 'cuter' elements introduced at the end of civ games- the Xcom squad, for example- this iteration of the Giant Death Squad is gloriously fun.

'You're launching a surprise attack, Shaka and Harald? You're going to throw waves and waves against my prize city, exhausting my entire standing army and pillaging northern Aotearoa
Very well.
BRING THE TANIWHA MECH ONLINE!'

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yes, the Giant Death Robot, able to jump over mountains and level cities in a couple turns with its particle beams is fun. :)

I like all the Future Era stuff, like the 3 new government.

But yes, resource management is fiddlier now, though it does mitigate against large standing armies of modern units. In terms of power generation, in my two game so far, I've just eaten the reduced building effect until I can bring solar and wind farms online, or been fortunate enough to have dammable rivers for hydro power. So far I haven't been in a position for geothermal.

I have noticed that loyalty effects seem stronger, because in my last two games I've had more cities revolt and join my civ than I can remember ever happening before.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I am mostly loving this but it has exacerbated one of my pet peeves: Getting unlucky with strategic resources. Coal/oil/uranium/aluminum feel way more important now and you need a lot more of them. It always bugged me to have a large, thriving empire and unlock "Steel" or whatever and not see any oil available to my cities but it wasn't too hard to find 1 from somewhere. Now though even finding one allows me to maintain 2 units (although that cuts accumulation down to 0 so no new units or upgrades). 1 extra from a policy card, 1 extra if military governor is there. Magnus can give you a discount on building things which require resources but nothing helps with upkeep.

I love the idea of the changes but securing access to the resources is a pain in the ass. It's perfect thematically and historically but I don't really want to have to be rushing ahead in tech so I can invade countries who are behind me technologically to steal their resources.

On a related note: Is there a way to highlight strategic resources? Unlocking the tech and then painstakingly scanning my empire by eye to find the stuff is a pain.

Top Bottom