• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Civilization VI - Second Expansion Announced

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I got close to a Diplomatic victory, and was in position to vote myself the last 2 VP I needed, but the rest of the world banded together to out vote me, even with me expending over 1200 favor.

So I won with a Science victory 2 turns later.

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Diplomacy victory is definitely too slow, I think. It would probably help if it was just two points less. Last night I won a science victory without ever seeing a vote for it, but in fairness I was playing Mali who - assuming they can survive their early game - balloon into insane amounts of whatever you need (science, units... whatever).

One thing is that the AI will absolutely pool all their favor against you if you are one vote away from winning, but they can't do anything about the two points you get from tech (well, one from a tech, one from a civic) so if you get into the future era with 8 points you're good...

...but that leads to the weird thing where you don't want to be doing too well on science and culture if you are going for a diplo victory....

...which is another way of saying that diplomatic victory is too slow.

In fairness though, I actually thought about it and came to the conclusion that the problem is that techs and civics go by too quickly in later eras, rather than diplomatic victory per se. This is a complaint I've always had about civ 6, really, that later eras go by so fast you don't have time to breathe. It's hard to see how to fix that without overhauling the whole system though (I have some ideas, and there are some mods that help, but everything interlinks so a lot of things have to change).

suedenim

Validated User
Yeah, I'd forgotten how important certain mods are for my preferred game. I had been using a thing called "Ages of Pace," which slows the game down, but more intelligently than the standard Epic setting or whatever.

But the base game still has lots of stuff like "I've researched the replacement for this unit before I could even build one."

Spaßwolf

Validated User
Diplomatic Victory might be easier with a higher disaster level. That way you can get more victory points, before the actual victory votes come up.

Melum

Blake-light tragedy
Validated User
Diplomatic Victory might be easier with a higher disaster level. That way you can get more victory points, before the actual victory votes come up.
I believe this is the case; you can get diplomatic victory points from leading aid responses to disasters, which presumably are more common on intensity 4.

Esckey

Validated User
But the base game still has lots of stuff like "I've researched the replacement for this unit before I could even build one."

This is probably my one and only issue I have with civ 6, the inability to stay in a era of technology long enough to make use of it.

ViciousFish

Validated User
Made a little discovery today.

I was playing as the Inca and settled a city on the outside edge of a mountain range, along a flat desert. I figured the few hills around the mountains would support terrace farms and hopefully some oil or aluminum would pop in the desert and make the tiles worthwhile late game.

Then I became suzerain of Nazca. Holy crap. With just builders making Nazca Lines and flat desert you can outpace a Petra city for Production and Food but you’ll generate Faith instead of Gold.

I have a flat desert hex surrounded by Nazca Lines generating 6 Food, 6 Production and 6 Faith.

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Some of the suzerain improvements are really great. I discovered in my Mali playthrough that not only can Cahokia Mounds make desert tiles as good as farms (in normal cities, never mind my petra city where they where just ridiculous) but also provide a great amount of early housing. I had much bigger cities much earlier than I would have had playing a civ without a housing bonus.

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User
Some of the suzerain improvements are really great. I discovered in my Mali playthrough that not only can Cahokia Mounds make desert tiles as good as farms (in normal cities, never mind my petra city where they where just ridiculous) but also provide a great amount of early housing. I had much bigger cities much earlier than I would have had playing a civ without a housing bonus.
Personally, I learned that terrace farms can be built on fertilized flat land next to volcanoes. I have a city with Petra next to a desert volcano... if not for losing 4 pops regularly, it’d be by far the strongest city ever, itxdoesnt even need an industrial zone.

Top Bottom