• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Civilization VI - Second Expansion Announced

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Personally, I learned that terrace farms can be built on fertilized flat land next to volcanoes. I have a city with Petra next to a desert volcano... if not for losing 4 pops regularly, it’d be by far the strongest city ever, itxdoesnt even need an industrial zone.
"Guys, stop hanging out around the volcano. Let the robot workers worry about the terrace farms." :)

suedenim

Validated User
Played a game as the Maori on King, and after a bit of awkwardness at the start, it turned out to be an easy Cultural Victory for me at the dawn of the Industrial Age (for the world - I myself had just invented Computers....)

They seem particularly dependent on finding an adequate spot for their first city, since neither that, nor having a bit of elbow room between you and the next guy, are guaranteed.

Base Delta Zero

Validated User
Played two games with the expansion now, and I have yet to actually see global warming matter. In both games, by the time that there were enough civs pumping carbon into the atmosphere to start threatening the ice caps, it was late enough that I was already well on my way to a victory. They were both remarkably peaceful games, too--in the latter one, I was looking for excuses to warmonger, but the entire planet was BFFs.
It might not help for games that end first, but perhaps, for gameplay purposes, they should include runaway hothouse effects as a consequence - send the global warming level too far through the roof and everything starts boiling - you've got roughly ~10 turns of escalating damage and resource deterioration in order to build the colony ship or everyone loses.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I finally won a diplomatic victory on King, doing a single city approach as Dido. I spent almost 800 years barely fending off a cultural win from Pericles, but managed to win when he was 4 turns from victory.

Last edited:

Spaßwolf

Validated User
I played Canada. Started on a floodable river, with two mountains to the south separating me from a small bit of tundra. (Big enough for two entertainment districts, 3 rinks, 3 national parks and a few Liang parks.) Managed to settle two more greenland cities along the river, before Hungary cut me off from the mainland. Two cities in the tundra and one near Hongkong (trying to grab a few more tiles with world congress enabled culture bombs, but failing because my production was too low to do it in time) brought me up to six.

My mounties squeezed 7 national parks between those cities and had to show their combat ability, when I joined a city state emergency against Russia (who were ahead in the culture victory race). They are (as expected) not very good at fighting, even though one did kill a battle tank (that was out of oil, wounded and near a national park). I made peace after Russia had lost Hongkong (and its two wonders and two national parks) to loyalty pressure (thanks to war weariness and my spies).

Meanwhile I had finished the Eiffel Tower (my first wonder), which is super valuable for national parks. And I found out that Mounties do not upgrade into helicopters (whose tech is near the Eiffel Tower, so it would have been very convenient if they did).

I did get a cultural victory eventually, but it took me a while. (I had already completed all the purple research.)

And apparently there is an exploit, where AIs that are unwilling to pay 300 gold for 10 oil, are happy to buy 1 oil for 200 gold multiple times (in the same turn).

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, like I said earlier, mounties should not be looked at as a fighting unit but rather as a way to get national parks with production or gold instead of faith. Or heck, even with faith they cost half as much as naturalists and do not increase in costs.

Spaßwolf

Validated User
Yeah, like I said earlier, mounties should not be looked at as a fighting unit but rather as a way to get national parks with production or gold instead of faith. Or heck, even with faith they cost half as much as naturalists and do not increase in costs.
That's what I did, but creating the park doesn't consume the mounty. So I still ended up with a dozen light cavalry units.

They were useful for getting the "have 3 corps" inspiration, for plundering (and getting killed in the process) and for killing partisans.

I'm fine with them not being specialized towards battle, I just didn't expect them to be worse than regular cavalry in so many ways (one era later, lower base strength, no way to upgrade them).

ViciousFish

Validated User
I was 2/3 of the way through a game as Dido, handily winning and getting ready to get my token win with her out of the way so I don’t have to play her again.

And my game bugged, with no buttons showing up when in a diplomacy screen.

Spaßwolf

Validated User
I was 2/3 of the way through a game as Dido, handily winning and getting ready to get my token win with her out of the way so I don’t have to play her again.

And my game bugged, with no buttons showing up when in a diplomacy screen.
I had a similar bug, where the game wouldn't let me finish voting, claiming I hadn't voted on each proposal, even though I had.
Had to reload the autosave from last turn. Luckily it worked the second time.

Top Bottom