• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Civilization VI - Second Expansion Announced

chrisinpm

Validated User
I have a question - does turning off Diplomatic Victory as an option also turn off the World Congress? Personally I find it a distracting nuisance that doesn't add much to gameplay and would love to turn it off.

In fact, I can think of several systems in the game I dislike, like the World Congress, espionage (I could have dealt with one spy effectively covering all tiles of a city for counter-espionage ops, but having to position them just so really ruined it for me), religion... yeah, it's a long list. Maybe mods that do any of the above?

suedenim

Validated User
Has anyone gotten the "Hello, Cleveland!" achievement? (Have a rock band play in Cleveland, naturally.)

I sent several rock bands to locations in Cleveland in my last game, but for some reason the achievement never triggered.

suedenim

Validated User
I have a question - does turning off Diplomatic Victory as an option also turn off the World Congress? Personally I find it a distracting nuisance that doesn't add much to gameplay and would love to turn it off.

In fact, I can think of several systems in the game I dislike, like the World Congress, espionage (I could have dealt with one spy effectively covering all tiles of a city for counter-espionage ops, but having to position them just so really ruined it for me), religion... yeah, it's a long list. Maybe mods that do any of the above?
Not sure about the precise answer to this question, but I'm browsing recent mods now, and there's one called simply "No World Congress." Which I guess implies that turning off Diplomacy victory doesn't turn off the World Congress. And I suppose you could leave the Diplomacy Victory option on with the mod, though the chances of getting one would be slim to none.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
I still don't have either expansion, but FINALLY I feel the UI and overall performance has been brought up to snuff to handle all the muddled tangled systems of this game to where I can pretty unreservedly enjoy it.

(that doesn't sound like high praise, but it's a tremendous relief for me.... ever since launch I've been frustrated by how cool so many of this games innovations were yet the whole experience was totally undermined by the overall mess that things were, even before considering all the bugs).

chrisinpm

Validated User
What determines the "force" of Bread and Circuses? Tourism output? Culture output? Population? Happiness? (Edit: Never mind, it's population. I should try reading the tool tips once and a while.)

Also I played a game today and saw Vesuvius for the first time. The first explosion did something I've never seen a game volcano do - it destroyed the resource on the tile (in this case Stone) - not just the quarry, but it literally flattened the tile. I'm glad it wasn't an important resource!

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
After a few months away, I booted up my Switch instance (i.e. a mostly-vanilla game) to try out a map mode I usually avoid : Real-World Map with Accurate Starting Points. I also increased my difficulty level (to 3) and purposefully chose a European civ (Germany).

The last one was actually a blessing in disguise, since popping up a couple hexes from a neighbour (France then Poland) actually means a free settler and one less opposing civ. My first attempt was cut short by Rome taking over my capital city (I've now learned my lesson that not making a beeline for fortifications is suicidal at that difficulty level), but my second game is turning out rather well. After taking out Poland, I made a point at rushing to egg my closest neighbour, Macedonia. My one Warrior's attempt to conquer his first city was a near-disaster, but it did achieve its purpose of slowing them down enough while I was settling into most of Western Europe (with my capital in Germany, and two other cities in Southern France and Spain).

It helped that Alexander is a moronic asshole who's only happy when I make war on him, is on bad terms with all his neighbours, and has been spending most of his resources on a prolonged war with a Turkish city-state... which he's losing badly. (Every time I look at his capital city, it's on the verge of getting destroyed.) I have zero wish to shorten his agony, though ; his two small cities make for a nice buffer between me and Russia, and if I feel the need to expand I'll look at the British Isles or Morocco instead.

On this map mode, it's probably "easier" to start as an African, American or even Asian civ, but I've found this early European struggle very fun indeed.

ViciousFish

Validated User
I just played through 3/4 of a game as Hungary before discovering the game spawned zero city states at the beginning of the game.

It was a Large Fractal map set to have 22 city states. Since the expansion city states have been clustering, and I was on a largish central mass so I figured the city states spawned on islands in clusters.

Nope. Not a single city state. I even went through all the AI civs looking for conquered city states. Nothing.

Top Bottom