• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Classic, shortish fanfiction recommendations?

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
on the subject of Middle Earth, from the discontinued site Subreality, there's Nine Men & a Little Lady, as the fellowship find themselves in the company of a stranger whose name changes constantly, but whom we recognize as Mary-Sue. mostly it spoofs all the MS clichés that sprung up overnight following the first movie

Word count: 3502
God, I love and hate you for posting that. that was AWESOME! :D

Kirayoshi

Mrs. Peel, we're needed.
Validated User
For some good, short, and often funny fanfics, Adrian Tullberg is worth a look. He did several great shorts inspired by Marvel's original Civil War:

Commentary: How Jon Stewart may have covered CW on The Daily Show. And Deadpool beats up Ed Helms.

Addition To The Fray: An alternate take on why Reed Richards joined the pro-registration side. And why you should never threaten Valeria Richards.

Alternative Strategy: The Avengers, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man manage to avert Civil War, by threatening to ruin Big Oil.

Another favorite vignette, by HonorH:

A Letter from Screwtape to Mr. Holland Manners: Archdemon Screwtape advises the head of Wolfram and Hart on how to deal with Angel. Reads like C. S. Lewis could have written it himself.

Dallbun

Validated User
A Letter from Screwtape to Mr. Holland Manners: Archdemon Screwtape advises the head of Wolfram and Hart on how to deal with Angel. Reads like C. S. Lewis could have written it himself.
How funny - I was just looking into The Screwtape Letters fanfiction, of all things, the other day. There's a 2003 published fan sequel, The Screwtape E-mail, out there, but I can't find a cheap copy. This is much more accessible.

on the subject of Middle Earth, from the discontinued site Subreality, there's Nine Men & a Little Lady, as the fellowship find themselves in the company of a stranger whose name changes constantly, but whom we recognize as Mary-Sue. mostly it spoofs all the MS clichés that sprung up overnight following the first movie
Dang, I think I actually read this back in the day. This, and the Very Secret Diaries. I wasn't big into LOTR fanfiction then.

Inner Voice

Validated User
Thanks for your efforts! If it's any easier for you, here's the website that I use for checking word count: https://wordcounter.net/website-word-count
Ooh, now that's a handy little tool, thanks for telling me about it! But really, copy-pasting fanfics into word processors for offline reading is the entire reason I learned ctrl-A ctrl-C ctrl-V as a wee fangirl, so it's no trouble at all, and rather thematically appropriate to boot! XD

Also, I realized about two days after my post that I had misstated the title of Father's Heart...*facepalm*. Anyway, I wanted to mention -- I think it's less well-known so I don't know if it meets your notability criteria, but I'm a big fan of First Encounters by FernWithy (21k words), which is sort of a sequel to Father's Heart or, in any case, a post-ROTJ fic that takes place in the Father's Heart universe:
http://moonsofiego.thepensieve.net/couple/fanfic/ot/firstencounters.php
alternate link, but the formatting goes wonky halfway through: http://starwarschicks.com/fanfic/fic/FirstEncounters.html
It's a very interesting "Padme Lives" fanfic from a time when we didn't know how Padme was supposed to canonically die, just that it was pretty obvious that she was going to. Actually, since it was published pre-AOTC--in a zine in 2001--we didn't know anything about Padme's post-TPM career, so this fic operates under the assumption that she remained Queen of Naboo. And also a very interesting and uplifting take on post-ROTJ rebuilding after the fall of the Empire!
(apologies if by any chance you already mentioned this one in your podcast episode on Father's Heart, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet!)

on the subject of Middle Earth, from the discontinued site Subreality, there's Nine Men & a Little Lady
Hah, I can't believe I forgot about that one!! Definitely seconding the recommendation! Also, there's an alternate link that's still current: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/536905/1/Nine-Men-And-A-Little-Lady

Dallbun

Validated User
Inner Voice - we've covered stuff a lot more obscure than a Father's Heart sequel, but actually I have another FernWithy piece lined up soonish (not Star Wars). Looks like she'll be the first author who we've featured twice on the podcast.

When we do get back to Star Wars, I have a lot of options - the community has been relatively good about putting stories from old fanzines online. It's an interesting era for the story to come out of, though! One of the coolest things about Father's Heart was FernWithy trying to reconcile Episode 1 Anakin with Darth Vader from the original movies, without even the connective tissue of the other prequels.

Top Bottom