• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[CLASSIC TRAVELLER] The minimum LBBs to play in the Imperium

RSDean

Validated User
Yeah the rest of the books give lots more options for PCs, but it emphasizes veterans and I think civvies are as much fun to play. Books like Animal Encounters or 76 Patrons make the Referee's job easier, but I love doing all the prep in Traveller, it's fun!

I'd probably haul out Twilights Peak for the adventure.

What would your essentials be?
I'm with the people who think that makes a pretty good set-up for playing in the Imperium. Personally, I would keep 76 Patrons around for use in a pinch, and the group I game with ran the Kinunir campaign a few years ago. That was fun too.

(Itching to do some Traveller myself...)

Takei

Validated User
Gaming last night and one of the guys said they'd like to play a little sci-fi for a change of pace, which seemed popular. I have pretty much everything published for CT in storage but don't want to spend 6 weeks re-reading it all so I set myself a challenge to run it with the bare minimum of books, so I drew up my shortlist:

Books 1-3 (duh!)
Supplement 3 - The Spinward Marches (can't go wrong with a Marches campaign)
Supplement 4 - Citizens of the Imperium (civilians run away from Zhodani too!!)
Supplement 7 - Traders & Gunboats (for all those classic starships)
Supplement 8 - Library Data A-M (where the Third Imperium starts to come to life)
Supplement 11 - Library Date N-Z (see above)

And I think that's it!

Yeah the rest of the books give lots more options for PCs, but it emphasizes veterans and I think civvies are as much fun to play. Books like Animal Encounters or 76 Patrons make the Referee's job easier, but I love doing all the prep in Traveller, it's fun!

I'd probably haul out Twilights Peak for the adventure.

What would your essentials be?
For me the essentials would be:
The Traveller Book (not only for the rules but also for the Regina subsector, some library data and a few scenarios)
The Traveller Adventure. Even if I didn't use the adventure itself, this book has four subsectors outlined and a lot of usable material.

If I wanted extra material I'd add:
Supplement 4 for the Citizens.
Supplement 7 for the ships. I have to say it's probably my second favourite supplement after 4.
Supplements 8 & 11 for library data.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Even now I like a lot the way Traveler does some things. I just really wish it wasn't so wrapped around random character generation and had a functional non-training experience system (and the latter is easier to fix than the former).

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
I love having 76 Patrons handy. Also, I only use Citizens if my players have played CT before. I like the focused set of limited options (a bunch of space military vets looking for trouble) as an iconic introduction to the game.

CK!

Creator of Things
Validated User
Military and criminal skills. And backgrounds.
Huh.
I can see someone seeing that.
I don't, for many, many reasons.
But I could see someone interpreting it that way (and certainly many people have) and assuming that is how the Classic Traveller rules are supposed to play.

Last edited:

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Military and criminal skills. And backgrounds.
Eh, but first of all, the Merchant Service and the Scout Service are in the mix. And IRL "military skills" can honest to god be almost anything (the US Army has MOS designations for bricklayers, dietitians and musicians). The careers in Book 1 really do cover a lot of bases, skill-wise. IIRC only two of the six careers reliably give you personal combat skills anyway.

Getting out of uniformed service is honestly sort of an obvious time to start getting into space adventure shenanigans. You see it in real life all the time--folks get out of the military with skills that may or may not immediately transfer into a civilian career, and they can kind of drift. If that happened in a world that had a high need for space ne'er-do-wells, it's really easy for me to imagine an informal but persistent direct uniformed-service-to-Traveller pipeline. The civilian careers in CotI always seemed to me to be a little shoehorned into a military career model. Not that I think civilian career backgrounds are completely inappropriate; it's just that I definitely buy the idea that they are secondary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom