• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Classic Traveller] What did I get in to?

Ganriki_medis

Eternal newbie
Validated User
So my regular group of players and I are going away on a weekend gaming getaway and I am planning to run Classic Traveller! I want to give the players (and myself) a complete Traveller experience. I will have 12±4 hours for this. So far my plan is to use the 5x5 method to design the adventure.

I'll be running the game in the "ragtag group of freelance adventurers" mode, just because it seems to be the most versatile. Additionally, only the three little black books will be used, so I won't get overwhelmed with all the additional rules variants.

What do you think, what elements of the game and setting have to be present? Any ideas for the adventure are also appreciated.

Additionally, after reading the through the 3 LBBs I have no idea how stealth is supposed to work. There is no "sneaking about" skill or similar. How have you guys handled it?

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Additionally, after reading the through the 3 LBBs I have no idea how stealth is supposed to work. There is no "sneaking about" skill or similar. How have you guys handled it?
Throw 2D for less than or equal to Dex.

Get used to making up rules on the fly.

Ganriki_medis

Eternal newbie
Validated User
Throw 2D for less than or equal to Dex.

Get used to making up rules on the fly.
Hah, thats's about what I expected. I noticed that the PCs' characteristics don't play a big role after character generation. I take it that "2D for less that or equal to !Characteristic" is the usual way to handle situations not covered by the skill rules?

NPC Brown Cow

Validated User
So my regular group of players and I are going away on a weekend gaming getaway and I am planning to run Classic Traveller! I want to give the players (and myself) a complete Traveller experience. I will have 12±4 hours for this. So far my plan is to use the 5x5 method to design the adventure.

I'll be running the game in the "ragtag group of freelance adventurers" mode, just because it seems to be the most versatile. Additionally, only the three little black books will be used, so I won't get overwhelmed with all the additional rules variants.

What do you think, what elements of the game and setting have to be present? Any ideas for the adventure are also appreciated.

Have you looked at the 21 Plots series for Traveller?

Marchand

Validated User
I take it that "2D for less that or equal to !Characteristic" is the usual way to handle situations not covered by the skill rules?
Have a google for "Traveller Rule 68A" for a good discussion of a free-form approach to tasks.

I know that you don't want to spend any more money, but the Traveller Adventure has additional suggestions like throwing a blade: roll 2D for 18+; modifiers: entire DEX score, Blade skill, - Evasion DM.

Or just throw 2D for a random difficulty.

The Universal Game Mechanic is more formalised CT task system.

Have fun!

rje

Validated User
5x5 method ... ragtag group of freelance adventurers ... the three little black books ...

what elements of the game and setting have to be present? Any ideas for the adventure are also appreciated.
For example, one Patron Encounter, one Personal Quest, and 3 Rumors.

Freelance adventurers always need a network of patrons of various stripes. The nobleman they helped that one time. The merchant prince who has "odd jobs" that need doing to support his fledgling trade empire. The smuggler scumbag who needs people of just slightly higher caliber to carry out a lucrative deal for him.

Patron Encounter. Baron Eneri Kuggishir is being installed as the new ambassador to <Surly Planet Alpha>. He remembers back when he served in <one of the armed forces> with one of your characters, and wants to hire the group to be his security during transport and the initial installment. And as ship crew, if they have the skills. Payment is by the book, but also he can grant favors which can be far beyond the value of money. Referee can plan for a corsair attack in orbit, an assassination attempt (or two, from two competing groups), booby traps at the embassy, and so forth.

Personal Quest. A player's sister, herself a bold adventurer, has gone missing. The group may learn that she's been captured by slavers, so they get to be dashing heroes and save a cargo container of young women from merciless pirates.

Rumors.

This particular subsector is legendary for being the location of a super-wealthy asteroid mining operation from waaaay back in the First Imperium days. The mad Vilani who owned the whole operation met some unspecified but dismal fate: either he committed suicide, went on a killing rampage, was eaten by alien monsters, or some other thing.

<Surly Planet Beta> allegedly outfits its patrol cruiser with black globe generators, or other ancient tech. Where it got THOSE is anyone's guess.

An old Scout was in the starport bar the other night, babbling something about seeing a gigantic asteroid starship once in deep space, bigger than the biggest dreadnoughts the Imperium has ever built.

Last edited:

Ganriki_medis

Eternal newbie
Validated User
Thank you for the answers!

I was thinking of also somehow adding the Zhodani to the mix and an ancient relic spaceship or a distress signal.

Top Bottom